Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cheating on Delta with Emirates First Class to Maldives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

I have a confession, my wife and I will be cheating on Delta Airlines in May when we fly round trip in first class on the Emirates A380 Service JFK-DXB-MLE. Of course we're doing this as an award ticket, no way we'd normally drop $20k each for tickets. Total cost to us for 2x tickets round trip was 180k Alaska Airlines Points per passenger (SPG is a 1:1 transfer partner so all those CrossOver Rewards points really helped).

While I'm sure there's no comparison between Delta One and Emirates First Class, I'm curious about a couple things:

(1) Does Emirates have an interline baggage agreement with Delta in case we decide to fly ATL-JFK on a seperate ticket?

(2) Will Emirates recognize my Delta status?

(3) Will Emirates ruin me from traveling USA based carriers for the rest of my life?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
I have a confession, my wife and I will be cheating on Delta Airlines in May when we fly round trip in first class on the Emirates A380 Service JFK-DXB-MLE. Of course we're doing this as an award ticket, no way we'd normally drop $20k each for tickets. Total cost to us for 2x tickets round trip was 180k Alaska Airlines Points per passenger (SPG is a 1:1 transfer partner so all those CrossOver Rewards points really helped).

While I'm sure there's no comparison between Delta One and Emirates First Class, I'm curious about a couple things:

(1) Does Emirates have an interline baggage agreement with Delta in case we decide to fly ATL-JFK on a seperate ticket?

(3) Will Emirates ruin me from traveling USA based carriers for the rest of my life?

I don't know about 1 & 2 but in answer to 3, most definitely ,YES.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:08 pm

And this is from someone who prefers Etihad.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
No, DL and EK do not interline. You would have to reclaim bags at JFK and re-check with Emirates.

No, but you have no need for status to be recognized if you're on a first class ticket. You'll already have access to everything status could've gotten you.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Finally had to break down and call Delta....

(1) As of January 2016, although there is an inter-line baggage agreement, other carriers will not honor inter-line baggage all the way through if a passenger is traveling on two separate tickets (with the exception of KLM and Air France which will allow this). Looks like I'm going to be retrieving and rechecking luggage at JFK. Let's hope both the ATL-JFK flight arrives at T4 since that's where the Emirates flight will be departing.

(2) According to Delta, Emirates does not care about my Delta status.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
(2) DL and Emirates aren't partners, so why would they care about your elite status? Would you expect DL to give special privileges to Emirates elites? How about EasyJet elites?

(1) The interline agreement doesn't matter in most cases if you ahve separate tickets.

(3) How do you feel about excess bling? What about their labor practices?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Finally had to break down and call Delta....
I'm glad you got the info you needed.

Not trying to be snarky, but you posted your question at 1:55 pm and reached "had to break down and call Delta" at some point before posting your findings at 2:13 pm. Why use an internet forum as your source on this if you don't have even 20 minutes before you need the information?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

It's an airline, not a relationship. Besides, DL doesn't do threesomes. (You + wife + DL would be too many in the bedroom.)

ADDED: In fact, DL isn't even any good at normal relationships. Ask KE.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 9, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've moved most international travel to EK and their FC suites. I've found that I get great value since I travel to JNB frequently. I thus book my tickets so that the origin is JNB even though it's my destination. I thus pay only approx $7500 for RT FC between South Africa and US. Same thing works for other locations. Three months ago flew JNB to SYD in FC on A380 and paid $3k. This works with some other countries as well. Of course have to plan it out since in and out bounds will be on separate rt tickets.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:42 pm

No
No
Yes

Be sure to book a shower time for the onboard shower. It's really a unique experience.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Their service is great, as long as you don't care about how EK treats its employees. I'm not judging, just sayin. Disclaimer: I've flown EK too, many years ago from BKK-HKG.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/01/insi...ght-attendant/

Not much better at Qatar:
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/the-...qatar-airways/

If you google "Emirates crew mistreatment" you'll find loads of reading material.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
You know I am a huge DL cheerleader. I have been lucky to fly Emirates F. There is no comparison whatsoever. It is truly a first class experience. There is zero comparison between the quality of everything Emirates F and Delta One. It is an entirely different universe of flying.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
You know I am a huge DL cheerleader. I have been lucky to fly Emirates F. There is no comparison whatsoever. It is truly a first class experience. There is zero comparison between the quality of everything Emirates F and Delta One. It is an entirely different universe of flying.
I agree fully. Took my first EK F flight in December and it was quite the experience. From the Lounge in Dubai to the showers on the plane, there's really no comparison. But, it's not like they're a viable option for 99% of my flying, unless I want to connect in DXB for SEA-ORD.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
This thread is just an excuse to "brag" about using miles on EK to the Maldives in F. Unfortunately, a myriad of people do this every week and don't feel the need to brag about it. Half the cabins are filled with points redemption's and the other half actually paid for it or upgraded from J. Those are the ones I would think should brag.

Ive been to Maldives 7+times in F and never felt the need to start a thread about it. There is obviously no comparison even between EK J and DL J, but you already knew that. Enjoy the flight.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
This thread is just an excuse to "brag" about using miles on EK to the Maldives in F. Unfortunately, a myriad of people do this every week and don't feel the need to brag about it. Half the cabins are filled with points redemption's and the other half actually paid for it or upgraded from J. Those are the ones I would think should brag.

Ive been to Maldives 7+times in F and never felt the need to start a thread about it. There is obviously no comparison even between EK J and DL J, but you already knew that. Enjoy the flight.
I'm actually happy to learn that it's that easy to go from SPG points to Alaskan points to Emirates First tickets.
I do am completely against the labor practices of the ME3 (and much more of the ME3 but let's leave that aside), so I don't know whether or not I would try to use the option, but good to know.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.