Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sneaking into Delta One on relatively empty DL transatlantic flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sneaking into Delta One on relatively empty DL transatlantic flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
I witnessed a purser having a very intense discussion with a pax by the back stairs of an AF A380 once. The pax had sneaked in First and decided to try the seat and hang out there. The purser was not amused. I would have been mortified being in the pax's shoes.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:05 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
The airline can cancel your FF account and delete your accrued miles.
Well, maybe they'd just deduct the difference between a Y award ticket and a J award ticket - - - ummmm, let's see - - one way - - AMS/PDX - - -

. . . . . . about 380,000 miles!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Why not monetize the D1 cabin? I've always thought there should be a class of service offered to those who just want the D1 seat to sleep and don't care about any of the upgraded service. Maybe offer the seat at a 60% discount if there are seats available at check in.

Likewise, if you don't care about a more comfortable seat or sleep but want a nice dinner, service, and drinks then why not allow economy passengers to upgrade the service? Why does it have to be all or nothing?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Well, this is certainly one way to not be classy...

"But, I WANTED A NAP..."

Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Why not monetize the D1 cabin? I've always thought there should be a class of service offered to those who just want the D1 seat to sleep and don't care about any of the upgraded service. Maybe offer the seat at a 60% discount if there are seats available at check in.

Likewise, if you don't care about a more comfortable seat or sleep but want a nice dinner, service, and drinks then why not allow economy passengers to upgrade the service? Why does it have to be all or nothing?
Because then the FA's have to have a list of who only paid for the seat, and doesn't get booze and or J meals. And then a few people swap seats, and everything is shot to heck. FA's IMO already have enough to worry about.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by vgb2001
I witnessed a purser having a very intense discussion with a pax by the back stairs of an AF A380 once. The pax had sneaked in First and decided to try the seat and hang out there. The purser was not amused. I would have been mortified being in the pax's shoes.
First time we flew and A380 was on AF. Boarded early as we were excited about the aircraft and wanted to take a quick stroll around before going to our seats in J (upper deck).

Wandered through coach and went looking for the front stairs up, but that required going through the F cabin. Purser saw us looking at the closed curtain (an F pax had boarded at that point) and swiftly and definitively said "no" - we needed to go to the rear stairs.

Other than wishing we'd done a quick walk through the F cabin right when we got on, I had no problem with the flight crew protecting that space even during boarding. I was quite happy to see them doing the same at the back of the J cabin during the flight.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's just not going to happen. Delta has your credit card on file. If they feel like getting even they will just charge you for a full J fare.
DL only has your credit card number if it's stored in your FF account or if you purchased the ticket from DL with a credit card.....not, for example, if the ticket was purchased through a travel agent.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
First time we flew and A380 was on AF. Boarded early as we were excited about the aircraft and wanted to take a quick stroll around before going to our seats in J (upper deck).

Wandered through coach and went looking for the front stairs up, but that required going through the F cabin. Purser saw us looking at the closed curtain (an F pax had boarded at that point) and swiftly and definitively said "no" - we needed to go to the rear stairs.

Other than wishing we'd done a quick walk through the F cabin right when we got on, I had no problem with the flight crew protecting that space even during boarding. I was quite happy to see them doing the same at the back of the J cabin during the flight.
LH also prevents even J/C passengers from seeing FC on the ground, although you might be able to see the FC cabin when deplaning, after all of the FC passengers have left the aircraft. On some configurations, asking to see the cockpit might require that you walk through FC.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee

Well, I was in J in an A380 once, and I saw a La Première passenger come out of the business class lavatory and go back downstairs. I thought about telling her that if she wanted to use the business class lavatory she should have bought a business class ticket, but then I thought maybe she did buy a business class ticket and was in La Première on an upgrade.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kop84
True, but good luck getting a jury to side with an airline vs. a passenger about nearly anything. (Short of causing a diversion for being violent, or worse)
A jury doesn't post bond for you as a pre-sentence defendant.
Originally Posted by 355F1
lmao!

Dramatic much???
Not at all, this is a crime. It meets the definition of theft and usually is trivial amount of money.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
A jury doesn't post bond for you as a pre-sentence defendant.

Not at all, this is a crime. It meets the definition of theft and usually is trivial amount of money.
That would be like me pressing charges against a neighbor for getting on my wifi. I would simply kick them off the network. Much like the most DL would probably do is kick the offender out of the D1 seat and tell them to stay out.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
That would be like me pressing charges against a neighbor for getting on my wifi. I would simply kick them off the network. Much like the most Adam would probably do is kick the offender out of the D1 seat and tell them to stay out.
I am not saying what they would do. However, due to value (this could be a $10,000 difference), it is not the same as using your neighbors Wi-Fi. And remember, the state gets to decide on charges if they are aware of the incident, not the victim. There would be a jurisdictional issue to deal with on a matter like this. If notified, the police would be obligated to investigate and likely turn over the evidence for prosecution. Now, I agree, Delta isn't likely to notify the police.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by shipitfish
So, today, I'm on AMS->PDX leg, Delta metal. Only about 75% of the coach seats were full and about half the Delta One seats.

I was so sleepy that I needed a nap and there were plenty of empty Delta One seats so I just went for it and took a 1.5 hr nap up there during the lull when the FAs were not coming through much. No one stopped me.

Have I started the harbinger that ends the world? Anyone else done it? Success/failure stories?
I guess you sneak into restaurants and eat the meal but not the dessert also!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Kicking passengers out of the cabin where they aren't ticketed in because you didn't pay for it is one thing, kicking them out for a fake "security reason" is total BS.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Tough crowd here.

What the OP did wasn't without its negative merits, but honestly, ease up. We're all human beings, we have those moments. It's not the end of the world, and certainly won't kill DL to leave it be and view it as a goodwill kind of thing... this time. Provided the OP got caught... which s/he didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.