Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sneaking into Delta One on relatively empty DL transatlantic flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist

So, today, I'm on AMS->PDX leg, Delta metal. Only about 75% of the coach seats were full and about half the Delta One seats.

I was so sleepy that I needed a nap and there were plenty of empty Delta One seats so I just went for it and took a 1.5 hr nap up there during the lull when the FAs were not coming through much. No one stopped me.

Have I started the harbinger that ends the world? Anyone else done it? Success/failure stories?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:36 am

Glad it worked out for you. Of course, next time you may get sent back.

I'd feel mortified if I got caught so wouldn't try that myself, but if you can get up there with enough time for a good snooze, more power to you, presuming you apologize and go back to your assigned seat if caught.

I expect others here may not be as forgiving.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by injera
Glad it worked out for you. Of course, next time you may get sent back.
I don't think this happens much anymore with relatively full front cabins, but perhaps more dire than being sent back is being held at your destination airport with DL demanding payment for the difference in fare. Know this used to be the approach for poachers.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Thank goodness for GUCs - - and - - this would've been an ideal flight to use one!

PS - Yes, I know, the OP is a PM and doesn't get any GUCs.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Skyteam
Did you take the Tumi bag?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:07 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by skchin
Did you taka pic with the pajamas?!?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by skchin
Our LHR-JFK flight the first week of January was virtually empty in D1. I noticed the flight attendants picking up the unused amenity kits very early on (perhaps even before take-off, though I wasn't paying close attention)

And, I'm sure you're joking about the loungewear - but that's only for certain China flights, right? We're flying to SIN in November (and back from HKG) and the press release I read only mentioned PEK & PVG as destinations that would get the jammies....
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I don't think this happens much anymore with relatively full front cabins, but perhaps more dire than being sent back is being held at your destination airport with DL demanding payment for the difference in fare. Know this used to be the approach for poachers.
Or they could ask for the person to be arrested and, depending upon jurisdiction, be charged with a felony.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by indufan
Or they could ask for the person to be arrested and, depending upon jurisdiction, be charged with a felony.
True, but good luck getting a jury to side with an airline vs. a passenger about nearly anything. (Short of causing a diversion for being violent, or worse)
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:39 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
lmao!

Dramatic much???
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
That's just not going to happen. Delta has your credit card on file. If they feel like getting even they will just charge you for a full J fare.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As it's a US carrier on an international flight, movement between cabins is prohibited. While that is a rule which is generally enforced in the breach, it's why the smart move is to always ask a FA before moving between cabins.

If caught, and despite OP's luck, the likelihood is that you are caught, one of the more likely results is that you are treated to a slightly Spartan "arrivals lounge" at PDX. DL would also likely collect the full J fare. It might actually want to demand payment and sue for non-payment (these aren't cheap tickets at walk-up prices) to send a message.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I'm waiting for one of the usual suspects to demand you immediately surrender your lowly PM credentials and reimburse DL shareholders for theft of service.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:31 am

Does not matter if it is empty or not. Airlines are known to ask for difference in fares for "premium" economy seats. They certainly would not shy away from asking for D1 difference if they caught you. Worse, someone could already have captured you speaking in and about to post it online on video sites/forum/blog.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

While there might theoretically be a crime - little to no chance that any prosecutor would mess with it - assuming this isn't a pattern and there is nothing more to the story.

Would the airline sue - also highly unlikely

If caught and appropriately sheepish that would likely be the end of it. Caught doing this again might prove different. The airline can cancel your FF account and delete your accrued miles. They can also decide that they would prefer that you take your business elsewhere and blacklist you.

You got away with it - once. Some events in life are best treasured privately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.