Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Inaugural A350-900 flight from USA fails - Delta mentioned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inaugural A350-900 flight from USA fails - Delta mentioned

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I assume that a pilot could just decide to hand fly the plane and this wouldn't happen?
this is an Airbus product, featuring design logic that makes it extremely difficult if not impossible for the flight crew to override automatic inputs from the jet's computers

paging fgirard ...
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
A factual report:
Incident: Qatar A359 at New York on Dec 10th 2015, rejected takeoff
The crew advised they received a warning for takeoff, they weren't sure they could do another attempt for takeoff from runway 22R.
Editorial commentary:
Qatar Airways incidents send it screeching into PR, safety crises
But it also requires an open mind as to what happened at JFK. This may not have been the fault of the airline. The responses of the pilots to the apparent error were clearly immediate and highly professional. The causes of that incident may lie elsewhere, and they require the same diligent and fearless inquiry that was shown in the Qatar safety authorities preliminary factual release concerning the Miami incident to bring out the truth.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
this is an Airbus product, featuring design logic that makes it extremely difficult if not impossible for the flight crew to override automatic inputs from the jet's computers

paging fgirard ...
Yes, Airbus brushes all incidents under the table and is very untrustworthy. Boeing has had their problems but they fix them instead of ignoring them.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
I'd guess something wasn't programmed properly into the FMS? Could have been runway, temp, weather, weight of fuel/cargo/pax, etc. Or even a simple mix up of feet and meters. Remember a few months back when the Qatar 777 departing Miami did an intersection departure, rotated well past a point of normal safe takeoff, and struck the approach lighting as it lumbered into the sky (and then continued for some 12+ hours to Doha)?

Originally Posted by jrl767

paging fgirard ...
And just on a personal note, over the past year or two I have warmed up to Airbus aircraft as a passenger, as well as the likelihood I'll be behind the controls of one in the next decade or so (seeing the amounts of airlines that currently fly them and/or are ordering them). Some features are neat, like when you pitch back on the stick and approach a stall, and the computer senses it and can drive the nose down and add power. On the other hand, the computer can decide it "senses" things and shut out the human operator (which has the potential to be a bit terrifying). I'm not going to run around all doom-and-gloom and allude to HAL 9000, but it is still a bit unnerving.

Last edited by brocklee9000; Dec 13, 2015 at 7:18 pm
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
English system versus metric caused a big crash in Canada when there was confusion about how much fuel the aircraft had.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
English system versus metric caused a big crash in Canada when there was confusion about how much fuel the aircraft had.
I'm only aware of the "Gimli Glider," but that was not a 'big crash.' More like the skidding/tire-popping landing in the movie Airplane.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the "Gimli Glider" incident was not a crash ... the AC 767 indeed ran out of fuel, but the crew were able to land it safely at a former Royal Canadian Air Force base in Manitoba
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:22 pm

"Big" seems like a bit of a stretch when everyone survived with few injuries and the plane flew again.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:24 pm
Suspended

I remember my first and only Airbus flight in July of 2004. I was supposed to be flying JFK-ATL-MEM but due to irrops was rerouted JFK-DCA-MEM with DCA-MEM being operated by an NWA A320. Not long after leaving DCA the pilots made an announcement that they needed to restart the computers and would need to shut down an engine. They seemed like it was quite routine. I haven't been on a bus since. That's never been a problem on an MD, Boeing, Bombardier, or Embraer.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
...That's never been a problem on an MD, Boeing, Bombardier, or Embraer.
And you know this fact how?

By the way, Airbus has delivered over 8,000 planes. I am guessing their safety record must be close to that of other airlines mentioned above.

Not defending Airbus at all - and actually prefer Boeing. But....
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that it was pilot error in inputing data into the A350, but I hate to think of how those pilots might be disciplined by Qatar once they're back in the mideast.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Yes, Airbus brushes all incidents under the table and is very untrustworthy. Boeing has had their problems but they fix them instead of ignoring them.
This isn't a serious post, is it? Good God.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My guess is that it was pilot error in inputing data into the A350
That was my guess earlier in thread too.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
22R at JFK does have a significantly displaced threshold so I wonder if the pilots only put in the usuable landing distance of the runway instead of the full runway length. Just a guess though and maybe not even a good one at that.
Perhaps it was the runway length data or some other factor. That or something quirky that was over a limit by just enough to say "not enough runway" (example: the summer before airlines were offloading pax, cargo, and fuel on longer transcon flights out of SLC and PHX during really hot days - the reason was single engine climb performance in the conditions. I can't say for sure what the cause was with this A35 - only speculate.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
This isn't a serious post, is it? Good God.
I've never known of Airbus to admit fault. They just make "enhancements" and "software updates".

McDonnell-Douglas had the same attitude with the DC-10. For a long time they refused to acknowledge the design flaws in the DC-10 and lots of people died because of it.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I've never known of Airbus to admit fault. They just make "enhancements" and "software updates".

McDonnell-Douglas had the same attitude with the DC-10. For a long time they refused to acknowledge the design flaws in the DC-10 and lots of people died because of it.
This isn't a serious post is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.