Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preloading carry-ons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by burbanite
Yes really. I do it the way you are supposed to do it, one properly sized carry on placed in the OHB above my seat. How is that wrong?
No one said it was wrong. I questioned whether your laptop and personal items (meds, keys, etc) go in the carry on (usually a roller board type suitcase) that goes in the OHB, as opposed to the second, smaller bag, that generally goes under the seat in front of you.

David
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:51 pm
Suspended

I don't put valuables/medicine in my carry-on bag, that goes in my personal item (backpack). Delta doesn't do this already? Back in March at DAB, the gate agents said they were offering complimentary gate-check to our final destination. On US who is one of many airlines who also do this, they tagged my bag and then I left it at the end of the jetway. On Delta at DAB however, the gate agents kept my bag and then a ramp agent came up and grabbed the bags from the check-in podium.

Personally I would love if they didn't change prices around, but switched their system so carry-on's cost money but offer a free checked bag or two. I also fly WN a lot and there is a lot less people with carry-on's.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by ND76
This service was in effect on the first ATL-DCA flight of the morning on 6/2/15.

The bins overhead row 10 were just about full, which is a disservice to the people who actually had to sit in this row, and would find the bin overhead their seats already full (I sat in row 11 and got on with F/PREM boarding, so I was one of the first to reach stools and ropes and see what was going on).
----------
But maybe it was a full party (i.e., family) occupying all of that row that had their bags pre-boarded (gate valeted) ?. The object of the gate valet is to pre-board bags for people in the bins OVER THE ROW THEY ARE SITTING IN, not some random bins. Were the people in that row searching for more bin space elsewhere ?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
So does this mean that Skyclub medallions that chose to stay in the sky club until right before boarding starts in Zone's Prem and Sky whose upgrades didn't clear and weren't able to secure a C+ seat will risk not having bin space available above their seat because a vacation traveler with no status and in zone 3 will have their bags loaded and above their seat first?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by plinko83
angry much?
Well, it's DL, what do you expect? UA and AA seem to get more hate in the news media, but DL manages to make stupid policies, even if they don't seem to have been doing as many spectacularly stupid things to individual passengers.

Originally Posted by dgilman
Really? You put your valuables and meds and laptop in the bag that goes in the overhead bin?
Sure. You still basically have control over your carry-on stuff within a foot or three, depending on how tightly the bins are packed.

Originally Posted by wetrat0
I agree with the observation about WN. However, there's a side benefit of the checked bag fees: fewer people check bags, so if you are one of those people, you'll get your bags faster.
Huh? The goal should be to get anything that people are willing to check checked and away from the overhead bins and into the cargo hold.

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
United tried this at Denver, up until the back jet bridge had an incident back in 2007.
They could have people walk outside and up stairs in the rear, but I suppose they wouldn't want to do this at busier airports. The only place I've seen it done is in Alaska with the Combi's, and even Anchorage is pretty spread out and not that busy... The A380's triple jetway contraption appears to be all forward of the wing.

Originally Posted by airplanegod
I don't put valuables/medicine in my carry-on bag, that goes in my personal item (backpack). Delta doesn't do this already? Back in March at DAB, the gate agents said they were offering complimentary gate-check to our final destination.
Gate checking to the cargo hold != pre-loading into the overhead bins. Gate checking is semi-common on full flights, and necessary in the hellish little CRJ's.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
[QUOTE=jamesteroh;24914036]So does this mean that Skyclub medallions that chose to stay in the sky club until right before boarding starts in Zone's Prem and Sky whose upgrades didn't clear and weren't able to secure a C+ seat will risk not having bin space available above their seat because a vacation traveler with no status and in zone 3 will have their bags loaded and above their seat first?[/QUOTE]Yet another Elite FF Enhancement from DL.

Last edited by DYKWIA2014; Jun 3, 2015 at 5:21 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Dare I say . . . . . .

It takes one to know one!

I think the OP just wants to feel special. Having DL institute a new service just for him would do the trick nicely. He's been so disappointed ever since he learned that the name of that vodka is spelled differently.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think the OP just wants to feel special. Having DL institute a new service just for him would do the trick nicely. He's been so disappointed ever since he learned that the name of that vodka is spelled differently.
Who said my handle was named after ketel one vodka?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:24 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Having DL institute a new service just for him would do the trick nicely. He's been so disappointed ever since he learned that the name of that vodka is spelled differently.
Are we even sure that the OP is a "HE"?!?

Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:57 pm

MSP

MSP had a guy in his 60s loading hand carry luggage.

He had an airport Smart Cart and overloaded the cart with bags. Trying to enter a D gate he hits the lip of the SkyPriority lane stanchion and tips about 6 bags onto the floor.

No thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:31 am

Has anyone any idea on what markets they are actually doing this is? I see it's 757 markets with short turn around times, would that mean Florida? Just curious, headed to MCO in a few weeks and wondering if this will be a service provided. Missed seeing it last time around when they tried this in ATL.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by PU2005
Has anyone any idea on what markets they are actually doing this is? I see it's 757 markets with short turn around times, would that mean Florida? Just curious, headed to MCO in a few weeks and wondering if this will be a service provided. Missed seeing it last time around when they tried this in ATL.
MSP yesterday was an A319, MSP-OMA.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I have an idea that would render this entire issue moot: ban rollaboards from the cabin. You can still bring them through security, but they must be gate-checked. Problem solved right there.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWads
I have an idea that would render this entire issue moot: ban rollaboards from the cabin. You can still bring them through security, but they must be gate-checked. Problem solved right there.
Until the entire planeload of passengers stops on the jetway and blocks it while waiting for their valet bags to appear.....and a bunch of them miss their connecting flights as a result.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Saw this service on Saturday AM MSP-MCO on a 739.

It was a bit of a cluster as they had a petite-ish lady running the cart while there were two guy GA's.

She did everything in her power to convince people to check bags as opposed to valet-ing them to the OH bins.

The issue was that the guys kept trying to get involved and help her and it basically resulted in them running into each others way.

To her credit , she convinced a lot of people to check bags and only had one or so bags to put in a bin.

I am not a fan of this service...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.