Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Reserve Amex Card Sky Club - What am I missing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

o.k., so it looks like I can get a Delta Reserve Amex Card for $450 a year which gives me free Sky Club access for myself and two guests.

This is significantly cheaper than buying a regular Sky Club membership.

What am I missing?
Old May 26, 2015, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yogimax
o.k., so it looks like I can get a Delta Reserve Amex Card for $450 a year which gives me free Sky Club access for myself and two guests.

This is significantly cheaper than buying a regular Sky Club membership.

What am I missing?
No free guests, but no free guests either with a regular SC membership. Now guests require either payment or the much more expensive Executive level membership.

The reserve card gives ACCESS only when flying DL (and perhaps partner flights if applicable). With a membership, you can use the lounge when you're flying another carrier.

There are also a few nonDL lounges to which SkyClub members have (free) access.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
With the DL AMEX Reserve, you also get a free DL companion certificate which can be interesting to redeem at times.

Also, having a DL AMEX does help in the case where there is a battlefield upgrade at the gate and you have one and someone who has the same medallion status and fare bucket does not.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You also earn RDMs and MQMs on the Reserve card, obviously, but I think the OP was just wanting to compare the purchase of a SC membership to the Reserve card annual fee.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
No free guests, above the age of 2.

I'm fairly certain there's a whole thread on this somewhere, that by limiting AMEX guests, would decrease the population of the clubs. I think ultimately the answer was, false.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jtrue28
No free guests, above the age of 2.

I'm fairly certain there's a whole thread on this somewhere, that by limiting AMEX guests, would decrease the population of the clubs. I think ultimately the answer was, false.
I already have the Delta AMEX Platinum Card. Does anyone know if they will thrown in any bonus miles if I upgrade to the Reserve?
Old May 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by yogimax
I already have the Delta AMEX Platinum Card. Does anyone know if they will thrown in any bonus miles if I upgrade to the Reserve?
You should get the difference between the sign-up welcome bonus offer (MQMs and RDMs) available now for the Reserve card and what you initially got with your Platinum card, but be sure to document the offer you're taking now.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
With the DL AMEX Reserve, you also get a free DL companion certificate which can be interesting to redeem at times.

Also, having a DL AMEX does help in the case where there is a battlefield upgrade at the gate and you have one and someone who has the same medallion status and fare bucket does not.
This has been a point of disagreement on the FT Forum for sometime. AMEX refers to upgrade priority in its 'small print', Delta does not state that having the Reserve card has any impact on upgrade priority. According to the Delta website, here is what is says about upgrade priority:

How It Works
A. When you make your reservation and provide your SkyMiles # at delta.com, over the phone, at the airport, or through a travel agent, members will receive an automatic Complimentary Upgrade request.

B. Once your reservation is ticketed, your upgrade will be cleared based on:
Your confirmation window
Availability
Fare class
Time of request

A co-worker and I have actually tried to prove this to be true/false. Each (sitting together) booked the exact same flights, at the exact same fare class and price. He is a Diamand, as am I. The only differing variables were that he has the AMEX Reserve card and I don't. Plus, I intentionally confirmed my purchase about one minute before he did. Neither got upgraded early, but when we got to the airport, I was listed ahead of him on the upgrade list, by two spots, and I was the only one of us to get an upgrade. So, I'm not sure if this sample (done twice, but the second time we were both upgraded at our window) confirms anything or not, but to me it gives me to a great deal of skepticism.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
The AMEX Plat also but only in Y. The Reserve cert can be used for Y or J
Old May 26, 2015, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by DougSkymiles
This has been a point of disagreement on the FT Forum for sometime. AMEX refers to upgrade priority in its 'small print', Delta does not state that having the Reserve card has any impact on upgrade priority. According to the Delta website, here is what is says about upgrade priority:

How It Works
A. When you make your reservation and provide your SkyMiles # at delta.com, over the phone, at the airport, or through a travel agent, members will receive an automatic Complimentary Upgrade request.

Your confirmation window
Availability
Fare class
Time of request

A co-worker and I have actually tried to prove this to be true/false. Each (sitting together) booked the exact same flights, at the exact same fare class and price. He is a Diamand, as am I. The only differing variables were that he has the AMEX Reserve card and I don't. Plus, I intentionally confirmed my purchase about one minute before he did. Neither got upgraded early, but when we got to the airport, I was listed ahead of him on the upgrade list, by two spots, and I was the only one of us to get an upgrade. So, I'm not sure if this sample (done twice, but the second time we were both upgraded at our window) confirms anything or not, but to me it gives me to a great deal of skepticism.
I'm mystified by the two people between you two on the gate upgrade list. It seems extraordinarily unlikely (but possible) that a third and fourth DM booked your flight at your fare class in the minute or so between the two ticket purchases.

Note that the quoted portion mentioning "Your confirmation window" seems to be wrong. DMs and PMs have the same upgrade window, but everything I've seen (and the logic of FF programs) would suggest that elite status level should count, not the window.

Similarly, there would be a problem in the wording if we consider the case of two FULL Y fares purchased, for example, by a DM and a FO on a flight which initially has no upgrade inventory. When upgrade inventory becomes available, the DM should be higher on the list than a FO, even if the FO purchased the ticket and requested the upgrade before the DM did.
Old May 31, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
<<"I'm fairly certain there's a whole thread on this somewhere, that by limiting AMEX guests, would decrease the population of the clubs. I think ultimately the answer was, false.">>

Of course it was a false premise. Clubs are just as crappy and just as crowded. Remember the jerkoffs that gleefully posted here when DAL screwed over the Amex cardholders? Their dreams of sky club filet mignon did not come true.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by DougSkymiles

How It Works

Your confirmation window
Availability
Fare class
Time of request

Having the Reserve Card is the tie-breaker when SM/MM/fare are equal.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
Having the Reserve Card is the tie-breaker when SM/MM/fare are equal.
MM status isn't a criterion for upgrade priority. Also, it's fare class, not absolute fare in dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.