FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Reserve Amex Card Sky Club - What am I missing?
Old May 26, 2015, 2:33 pm
DougSkymiles

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by NWAsilvELITE
With the DL AMEX Reserve, you also get a free DL companion certificate which can be interesting to redeem at times.

Also, having a DL AMEX does help in the case where there is a battlefield upgrade at the gate and you have one and someone who has the same medallion status and fare bucket does not.
This has been a point of disagreement on the FT Forum for sometime. AMEX refers to upgrade priority in its 'small print', Delta does not state that having the Reserve card has any impact on upgrade priority. According to the Delta website, here is what is says about upgrade priority:

How It Works
A. When you make your reservation and provide your SkyMiles # at delta.com, over the phone, at the airport, or through a travel agent, members will receive an automatic Complimentary Upgrade request.

B. Once your reservation is ticketed, your upgrade will be cleared based on:
Your confirmation window
Availability
Fare class
Time of request

A co-worker and I have actually tried to prove this to be true/false. Each (sitting together) booked the exact same flights, at the exact same fare class and price. He is a Diamand, as am I. The only differing variables were that he has the AMEX Reserve card and I don't. Plus, I intentionally confirmed my purchase about one minute before he did. Neither got upgraded early, but when we got to the airport, I was listed ahead of him on the upgrade list, by two spots, and I was the only one of us to get an upgrade. So, I'm not sure if this sample (done twice, but the second time we were both upgraded at our window) confirms anything or not, but to me it gives me to a great deal of skepticism.