Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can you use a regional cert on someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Wife and I have separate bookings. I am platinum and have already got the upgrade 6 days out. If I added her to my booking would I lose the upgrade? Could I use a regional upgrade cert on her? She has no status.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You cannot combine your reservations. Technically you must be on the same reservation to apply an RUC or GUC to a companion as per the T&Cs, but I and many others have had success with separate reservations.

What I have never done personally though is upgrade a companion using an RUC when I have already received a Medallion upgrade... I've only ever applied RUCs to both me and the companion at the same time. I believe I recall reading that others have done this - not 100% sure though.

Although now that the upgrade window is open, the chances that RUC upgrade inventory still exists are much smaller... even if they allow this, you may have to waitlist.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You cannot add a person to your PNR. You can only split a PNR or link different PNRs.

You can request a free companion upgrade for your wife. You might be able to use one of your RUCs for her upgrade. IIRC officially she must be on your PNR (check the T&C on your RUC) but unofficially people seem to have done this successfully by calling DL.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC officially she must be on your PNR (check the T&C on your RUC) but unofficially people seem to have done this successfully by calling DL.
I suspect DL is more generous with Diamonds than Plats regarding this rule but OP has nothing to lose by asking.

May be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion in the same reservation. The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I suspect DL is more generous with Diamonds than Plats regarding this rule but OP has nothing to lose by asking.
I'm DM and asked a few weeks ago. You can only do it for pax flying with you. You can't upgrade a person's ticket. I tried and was told "no. sorry, but no".
Old May 25, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
I'm DM and asked a few weeks ago. You can only do it for pax flying with you. You can't upgrade a person's ticket. I tried and was told "no. sorry, but no".
If they're not on the same flights as you, then certainly not. But that is not OP's scenario.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
This is covered by the rule that RUCs and GUCs are not transferable. It prevents them from being sold through brokers or on eBay and craigslist, so this is a good thing.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is covered by the rule that RUCs and GUCs are not transferable. It prevents them from being sold through brokers or on eBay and craigslist, so this is a good thing.
Why would you say that?

Some would say they would rather have the cash.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Why would you say that?

Some would say they would rather have the cash.
I don't want to lose upgrades to someone who bought an upgrade cert from a broker, etc. Nor do I want to see elite benefits cut back further because the breakage rate on upgrade certs goes down as people sell their unused upgrades.

If people would rather have the case, they should probably fly UA/CO (or possibly AA/US until they get caught).
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:07 am

Cool Yes you can!

My sister is flying into JFK, meeting me there, and I'm flying in from ATL. We are spending the day in the city with our aunt and then flying back to SFO. We are on separate reservations. I was able to use my RUC for my sister's return flight so she can sit up in first class with my aunt and I.
busdriver11 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
You cannot combine your reservations. Technically you must be on the same reservation to apply an RUC or GUC to a companion as per the T&Cs, but I and many others have had success with separate reservations.

What I have never done personally though is upgrade a companion using an RUC when I have already received a Medallion upgrade... I've only ever applied RUCs to both me and the companion at the same time. I believe I recall reading that others have done this - not 100% sure though.

Although now that the upgrade window is open, the chances that RUC upgrade inventory still exists are much smaller... even if they allow this, you may have to waitlist.

I’ve had no problems adding someone on a different PNR as long as I was already on the flight and it doesn’t matter if I paid for FC or used a certificate myself. Zero issues if you are both on the same flight.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Not quite sure how this one got dug up!
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T&C's were changed several years back to allow RUCs to be applied to companions on a separate res as long as they are on same flight.
dcadwell and busdriver11 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Thread is from 2015, someone joined FT just to answer the question 8 years later!
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
This is not true. You can apply an RUC/GUC to any person traveling on the same flight as you. If you are both booked in Y, upgrade space could be available for you and a companion. If you paid for the premium cabin, you can apply your certicate for a companion outside of your PNR.

For example, in two weeks, I'm flying JFK-HNL. My husband and I booked in one PNR JFK-HNL in Y. Our friend booked his own reservation in Y on the same flight. I used three of my RUCs to upgrade all three of us at booking (inventory was available).

Last edited by iflyalexair; Oct 26, 2023 at 8:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.