Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone here that will lose status due to MQD ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here that will lose status due to MQD ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by yessams
It doesn't open up more doors to gaming. Actually it is probably working as DL intended. Rolling over the MQMs, even 50K won't help unless the person ups their spend in the rollover year.

If the spend was of a FO and they rollover 50K+ to 2015...they would have to increase their MQDs in 2015 to take advantage...otherwise they will be in a similar boat and I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong), that you can only rollover MQMs that were earned this year (not last year).
NO, you can rollover MQMs from previous year rollovers without restrictions provided your status never drops below FO.

You may be thinking of the Marriott program, where nights can only rollover once.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Who has confirmed that the above details are an accurate representation of what rolls over? I can't see DL allowing that practice to continue for very long, if that practice is even allowed currently, as it opens further doors to gaming DL.
I suspect that if you fork out enough $$$ to Delta (or spend enough on your Delta Amex) to qualify for a Medallion status it really doesn't care if you earn MQMs. That is being left on the table only to convince us that it is truly a FF program.'

Hence, if someone has enough roll over MQMs to keep him as a Diamond for the next 10 years, and in each of those years puts megabucks on his Amex but doesn't take a single flight, Delta would be pleased as punch to send him a new Diamond card each year.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yessams
It doesn't open up more doors to gaming. Actually it is probably working as DL intended. Rolling over the MQMs, even 50K won't help unless the person ups their spend in the rollover year.

If the spend was of a FO and they rollover 50K+ to 2015...they would have to increase their MQDs in 2015 to take advantage...otherwise they will be in a similar boat and I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong), that you can only rollover MQMs that were earned this year (not last year).
You seem to be assuming everyone entitled to MQM rollover has to meet an MQD requirement each and every year.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
My wife is losing her FO status because of MQD and I will be dropping down to FO from GM because of lower MQMs, but I will be able to keep FO because of the AMEX Reserve card waiver.

Since DL changed the Sky Club policy and I was not able to guest in my wife anymore unless we paid $29.00 which my wife refuses to do because she says the club is not worth it, and than DL instituting the MQD requirement my wife has refused to fly on DL anymore unless it is absolutely necessary, so now for our Florida trips we are flying on JetBlue instead.

I will be rolling over about 14.000 miles to next year and with the bonus 15.000 MQMs from my AMEX spending and my solo flying on DL I will have no problem maintaining FO and could possibly make GM again around the middle of the year, but I might just cut back on my DL flying once I make FO and bank enough roll over miles to cover the next year and try other airlines.

After my wife and I being totally loyal to DL for over 7 years, I feel that DL is giving us the royal kick in the pants, thanking us for our past business but telling us they really do not want to continue rewarding us at the same level anymore.

I thought about sending a complaint to DL, but I am sure all I would get back in a canned response thanking us for our business, but dont let the door hit you on the way out.

DL through their cutbacks and changes to the Sky Miles programs has decided to thin the elite ranks and we are obliging them by taking a good share of our business elsewhere. In my opinion DL has grown to large and with the reduced competition feels they no longer have to fight for market share. I know that DL flew over 134 million passengers last year and made billions in revenue and the loss of business from people like my wife and I would have absolutely no impact on their bottom line, but we at least get the satisfaction of spending our hard earned money with a company who appreciates our business.

Mr. Elliott
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
After my wife and I being totally loyal to DL for over 7 years, I feel that DL is giving us the royal kick in the pants, thanking us for our past business but telling us they really do not want to continue rewarding us at the same level anymore.

I thought about sending a complaint to DL, but I am sure all I would get back in a canned response thanking us for our business, but dont let the door hit you on the way out.
I got a canned response replying to a complaint I didn't make (they defended their increased MQDs - I never mentioned them in my e-mail). Yeah, nicely done.

As a shareholder, I think DL is doing a decent job of maximizing current value. But I tend to be a long term stockholder, and I want DL to be making sure they're thinking long term, not 2Qs out. I am also a moderately frequent flier, probably 35K b.i.s. flying in 2014, but only ended up doing 17K on DL. I'll retain FO on rollover and MQDs (by 4 bucks).

I'm not sure what DL is doing now is going to pan out that well for long-term. I guess we'll all see in the months and years ahead...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
I know that DL flew over 134 million passengers last year and made billions in revenue and the loss of business from people like my wife and I would have absolutely no impact on their bottom line, but we at least get the satisfaction of spending our hard earned money with a company who appreciates our business.

Mr. Elliott
And that would be B6?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Who has confirmed that the above details are an accurate representation of what rolls over? I can't see DL allowing that practice to continue for very long, if that practice is even allowed currently, as it opens further doors to gaming DL.

From the program benefits page:

Rollover Medallion Qualification Miles

Rollover benefit means Medallion Qualification Miles earned in 2014 above a member’s earned Medallion threshold level will roll over to 2015 and count toward 2016 Medallion status qualification. Members who receive complimentary or gifted Medallion status are ineligible for rollover MQMs unless they earn more MQMs and Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs - U.S.-based members only) than the gifted status requirement. For example, if a member is gifted Silver Medallion status in 2014 and also earns 30,000 MQMs and $3,000 MQDs in 2014, s/he will be able to roll over 5,000 MQMs since the Silver Medallion requirement is 25,000 MQMs and $2,500 MQDs.
I see what this says, but I have a feeling rollover is based on MQMs above the "MQM" status threshold, not the overall status threshold. So my guess is if you have $3000 MQD and 60,000 MQM, you'll only rollover 10,000 MQMs. I guess we'll see though...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by keloutwest
I see what this says, but I have a feeling rollover is based on MQMs above the "MQM" status threshold, not the overall status threshold. So my guess is if you have $3000 MQD and 60,000 MQM, you'll only rollover 10,000 MQMs. I guess we'll see though...
Your feeling would be incorrect. It has been documented by DL reps that you roll over all MQMs above the amount required for the level which you actually earn. In the situation you describe, 35k rolls over.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:59 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Move to Alaska i got a match to 75k mvp
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta SM and Amex PRG
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Now that the year is about to come to an end I was wondering who will not be able to retain their 2014 status for 2015 because they have enough MQM's but did not reach the necessary MQD requirement.

I remember when MQD's were introduced, many people here predicted that this will significantly "thin the herd" for 2015.

Thanks for playin' :-)
$327 short of GM....viciously searching for a ticket to bridge the gap out of Lexington Ky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.