Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

stopover/open jaw no more on US-Europe redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fti
We now know the facts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1629493-offical-delta-award-stopovers-open-jaw-gone-skymiles2015.html

Official update from Delta CORP folks to me (Delta Points):

“There are no changes to stopovers. A recent change in IT at Delta.com discontinued the ability to book intl. stopovers online. You could still book them via reservations agents. We [Delta] are working with the res agents (who handle the bulk of the bookings already) to ensure they are properly assisting customers who might.” – DELTA CORP

Also see unconfirmed brand new FTer - DLMiddleSeat post #38

Hello, I am a DL employee and was formerly in the Skymiles department before moving to a new position. I can tell you I still keep tabs on Skymiles and there is a memo that says award stopovers are still allowed but there was a glitch when they filed the fares. You have to call in to get it ticketed manually though. If the CSR say not possible refer them to the res policy update on the dlnet homepage.
Print Wikipost

stopover/open jaw no more on US-Europe redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Delta Points
It was foreshadowing
Fixed that for you
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by javabytes
Fixed that for you
Txs me and spelling do not get along

BTW - was also told that the "The IT change is about the 2015 SkyMiles program."

Let the speculation begin!

Last edited by Renes Points; Oct 28, 2014 at 4:56 pm Reason: add the letter D to and ;-)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Here's my take on this "glitch":

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If it's a glitch, it's only because they sort of implemented it before they publicly announced the benefit reduction/elimination.

This was the case in the first week of October too.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:02 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Delta Points
From Delta CORP to me:

http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/...thing-changed/

“There are no changes to stopovers. A recent change in IT at Delta.com discontinued the ability to book intl. stopovers online. You could still book them via reservations agents. We [Delta] are working with the res agents (who handle the bulk of the bookings already) to ensure they are properly assisting customers who might.” – DELTA CORP
Good to hear! Thank you for posting and thanks for the wiki update.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
The message here is unmistakably this: make any last award bookings while you can still now in 2014, before the next massive round of devaluations come Jan 1, 2015. Namely, no more stopovers or open-jaws (instead, all additive one-way pricing), higher mileage at still unannouanced for 11/12ths - i.e., vast majority - of the routes, rates, unknown non-DL flight (i.e. the bulk of the award booking) award rates, and likely massively reduced earning for non-DL/non-006 flights/tickets.

The only reason why DL has released pracrically no useful or relevant info about the 2015 SkyMiles program (namely, the vast majority of redeeming and earning details are still completely unknown, as are the award routing rules) to this date is because the changes are big, many, and very bad.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:48 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RealHJ
The only reason why DL has released pracrically no useful or relevant info about the 2015 SkyMiles program (namely, the vast majority of redeeming and earning details are still completely unknown, as are the award routing rules) to this date is because the changes are big, many, and very bad.

With AA releasing their 2015 plan (and it largely looks positive) it will be interesting to see if Delta has pressure now to release the details.

Has UA released their 2015 program details?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by TTT
That's a good one but it's also true. The EOS (End of SkyMiles), as DL had internally dubbed the project, is not Jan 1, 2015 quite yet, but it certainly is a major step in that direction that we all know DL wants to take so very much.

I don't think that anyone who knows anything about DL believes that major devaluation to award travel routing rules is not in store come Jan 1, 2015. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

*Someone should replace the "END" in this image with "EOS" (for End of SkyMiles). That would be a fitting image for the likely future theme of this forum.

As for AA, a number of real devaluations over 2014: elimination of stopover (which was already limited to NA gateway only) and elimination of OneWorld "Explorer" awards (which means that longer trips and RTW end up costing now easily 2+ fold more than before).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I could understand a no stop over rule for domestic but on international??? You cant pick the worst of all FF programs and combine them into Skymiles. AA doesn't allow stop overs but they have many other plus points that make AAdvantage attractive. My issue with this change (coupled with all the other downgrades and the total lack of LOW availability) means that Skymiles just keeps giving less and less to those of us who fly for work on paid business. Will Delta shift to 8 GUC's for DM in 2015? Will they add extra aviability of low awards for international J for DM? I would much rather get less miles but ones that you can use for real trips.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeat
You have to call in to get it ticketed manually though. If the CSR say not possible refer them to the res policy update on the dlnet homepage.
Uh. Yeah. Right.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
You cant pick the worst of all FF programs and combine them into Skymiles.
Obviously DL doesn't agree with you and is doing just that.

And stopovers on domestic are some of the best values out there now, if that is gone then 25,000 and 40,000 mi awards will become 37,500 and 60,000 overnight. Ugh.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Obviously DL doesn't agree with you and is doing just that.

And stopovers on domestic are some of the best values out there now, if that is gone then 25,000 and 40,000 mi awards will become 37,500 and 60,000 overnight. Ugh.
IMO the real question that needs to be what you touched on REG pricing. I think, just maybe, having pricing that does not agree with that is in print could be a no-no?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been using stopovers to help obtain award availability. There have been times when I spend a few days in places like NRT or AMS because I can't find both segments on the same day. Also, if I must take an overnight connection, often I prefer to pick flights that make it something like 30 hours rather than only 13. If I must overnight along the way, I'd rather have a day to enjoy the place versus dragging myself into an airport hotel after an evening arrival and then struggling back to the airport for an early flight.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Anyone tried to price out an int'l itin with a stopover in coach? I've tried a few between MIA/LHR/CDG, and I keep getting the dreaded "one of your flights has just sold out" message.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:52 am

While he is a Delta ripper, I find little to disagree with in Gary's post on this:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....4/10/28/delta/

If Delta has any HONOR whatsoever, they will post a prominent alert on their web-site warning of the miss pricing, telling customers to call reservation agents to handle all stopovers, AND promise to waive all booking fees in that instance.

That is not an unreasonable expectation, Delta, and if you do not do that, you are as bad as the old "company stores."

Last edited by THEsocalledfan; Oct 30, 2014 at 6:33 am
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Just had a reader email me that the "internal memo" reps are to read said there will be a fix in place by NOV in the computers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.