Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by nichojo
Great place. Be careful with sampler plate though, I ended up with something they couldn't translate. Professor Google later informed us that it was the male version of roe. A delicacy to some, but not to us.
Did you eat it? If so, did you like it?

Next time, consider not translating some unfamiliar food you happened to like, that way you can eat it and like it again.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by nichojo
Great place. Be careful with sampler plate though, I ended up with something they couldn't translate. Professor Google later informed us that it was the male version of roe. A delicacy to some, but not to us.
Shirako. I suspect they knew how to translate it, but opted not to. Personally, I love it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by dburns
DL marketed KE flights are available on my inbound segment only, and for a lot more $$$ - good idea though to check it out.

Would still be nice if they gave an update on a timeline for the JV now that its been a few months.

-db
Im in sales, and a KE JV is a BIG deal to my department, joint contracts, discounts on KE metal (non codeshare), and some other things....and even we haven't heard anything recently about it beyond generic we're working on it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
All that's happened to date is an MOU (Memorandum of Understanding). It could still be years, if ever, before an actual JV is in place. (Took decades to get to an MOU )

All the talk about doing this for the Olympics is just Flyertalk speculation; unless I missed something, neither airline mentioned anything about that.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Jun 13, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
Im in sales, and a KE JV is a BIG deal to my department, joint contracts, discounts on KE metal (non codeshare), and some other things....and even we haven't heard anything recently about it beyond generic we're working on it.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. It's helpful to know as I think I can now safely rule out any group 4 to group 1 change for KE this year.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
"Korean Air optimistic on June JV agreement with Delta"

Last online..
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by dburns
Thanks for sharing your perspective. It's helpful to know as I think I can now safely rule out any group 4 to group 1 change for KE this year.
Before you read too much into what I said, we also didn't get a heads up on when DL/KE announced the intentions to get a JV....a big announcement could come tomorrow or in 2018 or anytime in between.

I think back to VS, and there was nothing, then all of a sudden major movement, then more stuff that trickles through after the JV is in place.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by carljanderson

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/871767844366766081

Last online..
Wow. How quickly would things drop into place though?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Wow. How quickly would things drop into place though?
Would still need regulatory approval.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dmorbust
Sushi Kyotatsu at Narita is the best sushi at an airport anywhere in the world, hands down. I challenge anyone to name anything better.
I absolutely concur with this statement.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by carljanderson
Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
Before you read too much into what I said, we also didn't get a heads up on when DL/KE announced the intentions to get a JV....a big announcement could come tomorrow or in 2018 or anytime in between.

I think back to VS, and there was nothing, then all of a sudden major movement, then more stuff that trickles through after the JV is in place.
Thank you both for the twitter reference and updated comments. I still have some time before I need to commit end of year travel, so will see how it goes the next month or two. Appreciate all the assistance.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Signed.

Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:00 pm

Told you I wouldn't get a heads up! Now to be fair my particular area of sales has little business TPAC. I'm sure others who have accounts that will be more directly affected by this were probably in the know
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Did you eat it? If so, did you like it?

Next time, consider not translating some unfamiliar food you happened to like, that way you can eat it and like it again.
Pretty surprised there's no official press release or details from Delta yet.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Any JV is a joke until full MQM earnings are restored, and the often ridiculous KE fares on DL.com are fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.