Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Business class 737-800 LAX-LIR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Delta Business class 737-800 LAX-LIR

I have followed flyer talk for some time now but I have never created an account or posted anything until now. You all seem pretty helpful and I'm hoping I can get an answer to my question... Here goes.

Booked Delta Business Class tickets from LAX - LIR (Costa Rica) FL# DL0572
I see that they use the 737-800 (that's also what my confirmation states) however, I have searched and searched and I'm not sure if this is a
737-800H - personal video entertainment OR
737-800Y which they are phasing out that have overhead entertainment including in business class , weird

I really don't want to take our iPads down to the jungle in CR...that's my concern... If there is overhead entertainment then obviously we will take the iPads to keep us busy for the 5 1/2 hr flight but I would rather not.

My hope is that this flight will be the remodeled H version for at least business class because that would make sense to me, especially since it's an international flight.... but I just want to confirm that.

Oh yeah, I called Delta today and they weren't able to give me a for sure answer either! Lol

HELP
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:22 pm

We won't be able to answer that any more than Delta can simply because equipment swaps happen daily, right up to departure, especially for a narrow-body route.

It would be a difference for a transatlantic/pacific/deep south american flight, because then you know you are basically guaranteed a certain aircraft type.

However the amenities should have been listed when you booked the flight.

It will most likely be the H version.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
We won't be able to answer that any more than Delta can simply because equipment swaps happen daily, right up to departure, especially for a narrow-body route.

It would be a difference for a transatlantic/pacific/deep south american flight, because then you know you are basically guaranteed a certain aircraft type.

However the amenities should have been listed when you booked the flight.

It will most likely be the H version.
Thank you!!!!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Amanditaxo
Thank you!!!!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Amanditaxo! We hope you keep contributing to our little community here.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either way, it's just a domestic FC aircraft with limited seat pitch/recline. It's "business class" in name only due to being an international flight. Service is also basically just domestic FC service.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can see your itinerary on delta.dumb, look at the icons; they should indicate whether the flight has AVOD or the overhead screens. However, this is subject to change. Also, what about the return flight? Will you want the ipad then?

If the flight has GoGo to Central America, you could also stream movies to your iphone through Delta Studio.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by LBJ
Either way, it's just a domestic FC aircraft with limited seat pitch/recline. It's "business class" in name only due to being an international flight. Service is also basically just domestic FC service.
Bingo.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you can see your itinerary on delta.dumb, look at the icons; they should indicate whether the flight has AVOD or the overhead screens. However, this is subject to change. Also, what about the return flight? Will you want the ipad then?

If the flight has GoGo to Central America, you could also stream movies to your iphone through Delta Studio.
The icons do say overhead which I just found hard to believe in BC/FC But okay, looks like we'll be taking the IPAD's! To my understanding it looks like GOGO or streaming WIFI is only available over the continental US...which we will only be in the US for around 30 minutes of flight time...
What's the best way for me to get WIFI or bring with me?

Sorry, this is all new to me since I never really fly Delta or have ran into this issue yet...
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The icons do say overhead which I just found hard to believe in BC/FC
On the 737-800s, it's one size fits all, meaning that first class doesn't have a different entertainment system than they have in coach. There's either TVs at every seat or it's overhead monitors for the entire plane.

But okay, looks like we'll be taking the IPAD's! To my understanding it looks like GOGO or streaming WIFI is only available over the continental US...which we will only be in the US for around 30 minutes of flight time...
I don't think there's a way to get WiFi outside the US while you're on the plane .

Also, you'll want to check this link 24 hours before departure:

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl572

Right now, it's showing some other pair of cities, as flight #572 is not yet assigned to the LAX-LIR route. But note the numbers in parentheses; these are the registration number of the aircraft DL plans to fly on the route. Within 24 hours of your flight, you should see the registration number for your aircraft, and for a 737-800, it will have one of two forms:

1. The letter N followed by 3 digits and 2 letters, such as N373DN
OR
2. The letter N followed by 4 digits and possibly a letter, such as N3736C or N3766

If the registration is the first type, then you will not have TVs at each seat. If it's the second type, then you will have TVs at each seat if and only if the number is 3744 or larger. If the number is 3743 or less, you will not have TVs. So for the examples above:

N373DN does not have TVs as the registration number only has 3 digits
N3736C does not have TVs as the registration number is 3743 or less
N3766 does have TVs as the registration number is 3744 or more.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
You won't have wifi for enough time to make it worth paying for. Bring everything that you need to keep you entertained. The only difference that I've noticed on routes like these is that they offer sparkling wine when you board, which is only offered on international routes. Otherwise this will be domestic type service, but still decent service. For a 5.5 hour flight I think it will be comfortable and much better than coach.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
To my understanding it looks like GOGO or streaming WIFI is only available over the continental US...which we will only be in the US for around 30 minutes of flight time...
Once doesn't need a Gogo to ground connection to stream Delta Studio video/audio from the on-board server.

Search string: Delta Studio

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ta-studio.html
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
On the 737-800s, it's one size fits all, meaning that first class doesn't have a different entertainment system than they have in coach. There's either TVs at every seat or it's overhead monitors for the entire plane.

I don't think there's a way to get WiFi outside the US while you're on the plane .

Also, you'll want to check this link 24 hours before departure:

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl572

Right now, it's showing some other pair of cities, as flight #572 is not yet assigned to the LAX-LIR route. But note the numbers in parentheses; these are the registration number of the aircraft DL plans to fly on the route. Within 24 hours of your flight, you should see the registration number for your aircraft, and for a 737-800, it will have one of two forms:

1. The letter N followed by 3 digits and 2 letters, such as N373DN
OR
2. The letter N followed by 4 digits and possibly a letter, such as N3736C or N3766

If the registration is the first type, then you will not have TVs at each seat. If it's the second type, then you will have TVs at each seat if and only if the number is 3744 or larger. If the number is 3743 or less, you will not have TVs. So for the examples above:

N373DN does not have TVs as the registration number only has 3 digits
N3736C does not have TVs as the registration number is 3743 or less
N3766 does have TVs as the registration number is 3744 or more.

Hope this helps!
SO MUCH HELP!!! Thank you so much for helping me out!

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Once doesn't need a Gogo to ground connection to stream Delta Studio video/audio from the on-board server.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure this is only good for the continental US.

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 20, 2014 at 10:18 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I know you don't need to buy a GOGO internet connection to get the free streaming, but I think you still need access to the servers for the movies to play. ie you can access delta.com without paying for GOGO internet connection, but you still have to have WIFI available for you to get access.

It's only available while not connected to WIFI if you're on a plane that has individual seat entertainment. In that case, yes the streaming is loaded on board. Thus depending on the type of plane OP gets he may not have access to Delta Studio longer then he has access to WIFI.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The icons do say overhead which I just found hard to believe in BC/FC But okay, looks like we'll be taking the IPAD's! To my understanding it looks like GOGO or streaming WIFI is only available over the continental US...which we will only be in the US for around 30 minutes of flight time...

Sorry, this is all new to me since I never really fly Delta or have ran into this issue yet...
It's a leisure route that isn't long haul, so despite being labeled as business class (not BE), it's basically a FC cabin with domestic FC service. In fact, DL treats northern South America as different from southern South Ameerican for award charts in recognition of this distinction.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, HHonors, Hyatt
What coach seats are being installed in coach on the 738/73H now? B/E or Zodiac?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.