Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mbwmbw
Official Response from ExpertFlyer regarding Delta's ability to restrict data:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23465105-post182.html

Hi folks,

All of us here at ExpertFlyer just want to say thank you for the positive support we've been receiving, both on FT and via email.

Reading some of the posts on this thread it appears there might be some misconceptions on how airline data is distributed. To be clear, a GDS distributes airline data to its customers at the discretion of the airline. The airline-GDS contracts state that the airline controls the flow of data thru the GDS and if an airline decides that they don't want a particular GDS customer, agency or non-agency, to have their data the GDS must block data from being available to a customer if the airline asks them to. As noted in our quoted statement, Delta has already done this with many online travel agencies.

So as a practical matter, in the near term this meant that we had no choice and didn't "cave" as some have speculated, the DL information was going to be withheld with or without our participation. We continue to explore our options but for now, rightly or wrongly, the GDS-agency contracts allow for this as they have the right to modify the content made available to agencies.

We cannot comment on any future plans regarding this specific matter however we will continue to work on behalf of our customers to add as much value as possible to ExpertFlyer.

-The ExpertFlyer.com Team
Check the updated thread at (see the Wiki at the top):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...available.html

You will see that they actually used screenshots of ExpertFlyer. I'm sure someone in DL Corporate just saw this and said it's making a headache for us and not providing any additional value so shut it down.... Almost guarantee it.
Print Wikipost

DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
What a disgustingly anti consumer move on DL's part. Hopefully this will be short lived. I'll tell you one thing, my $30K and rising MQD spend will drop to $0 next year if they do not reverse course on this. Extremely bad move by Delta. I encourage everyone to write complaint letters and to utilize the call center for all tasks that were previously undertaken in EF. While EF users may have been a small minority of DL customers overall, hopefully it's large enough to make a financial impact.

In the mean time, you can still search for DL availability on EF via code shares. I can't imagine this functionality will be as easily removed. For transcons, simply replace a search for DL with VA, as Virgin Australia code shares on most if not all JFK-LAX/SFO transcons. You won't always get the seat maps, but you still get a decent, if not exact, understanding of loads and sell space.

Last edited by theYipster; Sep 1, 2014 at 6:42 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by vxmike
I bet less than .1% of Delta flyers use EF. They have no reason to care about the few 'gamers' that use EF to pkan an SDC or use a seat alert. In fact they're probably hoping more people will just pay for a better seat when stuck in the middle seat.
+1 - EF users are a miniscule %, but the "gamers" on SDC are the ones who contribute to increasing restrictions.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
I'm disappointed and I sent Customer Care an email, not that it will do any good.

I use EF primarily for upgrade planning (using the F buckets in the absence of true upgrade availability), especially when using a PU503 or other instrument.

Once in a while I look for low fare buckets, but that's primarily for leisure travel as opposed to business as we book last-minute most of the time anyway.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Unbelievable!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
E-mail #1 sent to Delta. Maybe we should make this like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption sending a letter every week to the Maine state legislature from prison asking for money for books...they can't ignore us forever if we keep sending them e-mails, calls, and snail mails.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kettle1
How much was ExpertFlyer paying DL? (and other carriers)?
One meeeeelion dollars.

They pay the GDS, like any travel agent does, AFAIK.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:03 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

Not a happy camper this morning and sent my email to Delta. Hope it can be worked out in short order.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
...they can't ignore us forever if we keep sending them e-mails, calls, and snail mails.
Really? As long as DAL share price is going up and planes are full and there is little competition in the market they can anything they please and we have no choice!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Just going to make my SDCs tougher, as I'm going to have to call and ask "Is there fare availability in my class on this flight?" for about 20 or 30 flights as opposed to checking it on EF in 10 seconds.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveholt
Just going to make my SDCs tougher, as I'm going to have to call and ask "Is there fare availability in my class on this flight?" for about 20 or 30 flights as opposed to checking it on EF in 10 seconds.
flightstats.com still has DL bucket availability listed and it's free.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: Delta Plat IHG Dia, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Global Entry, TSA ✓
Ew Delta why?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Jasonkr
Ew Delta why?
$
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Email response from Delta.

We do not have a business relationship with ExpertFlyer. In the past
the organization has used unauthorized information to provide
Complimentary Upgrade availability to their subscribers, therefore any
future agreements are highly unlikely.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Is KVS still around?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
How much is EF charging consumers for providing access to DL's proprietary data and how much was EF paying DL for that data?

EF pays the GDS to read the data, just like Delta pays the GDS to put it there in the first place. No different than how it works for tens of thousands of travel agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.