Search

Seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Seat selection

Hello Delta FT,

I am new to Delta flying being a long time UA flyer. I recently booked a flight but could not select a seat. Is this because I do not have status or another reason? I am accostomed to usually being able to choose a seat when I book. I am looking to pay the extra few dollars to get a premium seat with extra leg room.

I am flying domestically from IAH-CVG-PHL.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
You didn't click through to seat selection, or the site would not let you select the seat? Either way, just log back in after the ticket is issued and select your seats then. Since you have no status, the seats it will allow you to select without paying are in the way back. Surprised it would not let you buy up unless you are on a crowded flight and those premium seats are full.

Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I would guess that all the seats are full / blocked. Not unlikely on that routing. DL usually holds the first row of Economy Comfort as blocked to accommodate passengers that need special assistance. I'm more surprised that someone is connecting in CVG. Is it 2005 again?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by azeckel
I'm more surprised that someone is connecting in CVG. Is it 2005 again?
I have connected in MEM since it has been dehubbed and technically CVG is still holding onto the hub moniker.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I just checked online and it states that "All seats on this flight are currently occupied in your class of service. If you wish to select a seat or change to a different seat, please check back later. If you have no seat assigned, a seat will be assigned at check-in or at the gate prior to boarding"

I definitely will check in at exactly T=24 to try and ensure I have a seat but does the statement mean that the flight is overbooked or that the every seat has already been assigned or did Delta block some seats which will be released for selection at T=24?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta holds some seats for assignment at the gate. DL (and other airlines) routinely sell more tickets than seats. DL holds some seats for elites - these will become available at T-24 or at the gate.

Bottom line: not everyone who buys a ticket can immediately reserve a seat.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by trini19
I just checked online and it states that "All seats on this flight are currently occupied in your class of service. If you wish to select a seat or change to a different seat, please check back later. If you have no seat assigned, a seat will be assigned at check-in or at the gate prior to boarding"

I definitely will check in at exactly T=24 to try and ensure I have a seat but does the statement mean that the flight is overbooked or that the every seat has already been assigned or did Delta block some seats which will be released for selection at T=24?
DL blocks several seats for gate assignment. Also, try checking from about 5 days out, when elite upgrades start clearing. This typically frees up some seats, especially preferred (which become available at check-in for non-elites not on Y/B/M) and EC.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG, Hilton, Starwood
I think the thing a lot of us with status forget is: a rather large proportion of seats are only selectable in advance by medallions.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by mmichael453
I think the thing a lot of us with status forget is: a rather large proportion of seats are only selectable in advance by medallions.
Exactly this. If one of us medallions pulled up his flights as if to buy, we'd see all kinds of blue seats available. I would get to the airport early to be promptly in line to ask for a good seat when the gate agents begin working the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.