Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Studio

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mspreh
It's not Delta's choice...... It's GoGo, Delta just gets a percentage of sales from their flights.
Right, its not Delta decision. GoGo doing their job and they had it right. You have pay for wifi. There is no free wifi.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Dang. That's what I get for not reading the whole announccement. It would be nice if they extended the IFE to all prefered seats, or turned it on for any seat with an elite in it. I wonder how that'll work for stuff you stream onto your own device. Will it ask you what seat you're in or something?
Just to be clear. There will be FREE options in economy, just more selection in EC and BE.

I assume it will ask for seat number and last name. Or perhaps they will integrate it with the delta APP?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right, its not Delta decision. GoGo doing their job and they had it right. You have pay for wifi. There is no free wifi.

I just wish the speed was faster,
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They'll still need a lot of wifi bandwidth on board, if not ground/satellite to plane.
That is my concern as indicated in milepost 2.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL Silver (FO)
So I've been lurking in this forum for awhile (almost a year really), ever since I bought a paid BE round-trip from MSP>NRT>BKK. Btw, thanks for the seat recommendations - 7A/D on the 777 and 80K on the 747 were GREAT - best 4 flights I've ever taken (even though my PTV quit working MSP>NRT - Sandy was a great purser and restarted the system at least 4 times to try to get it to work). Eventually I just asked for another glass (or 2?) of wine and drifted off back to sleep. Ironically I ran into her again on my return NRT>MSP and she found a small enough pin to eject my Thai SIM from my phone so I could replace it with my US SIM. Yet another reason I only fly Delta - the service.

But I digress, I flew FLL>MSP back in April on a 75N and when I pulled up gogo just to check the map, I discovered all these entertainment options. I'm not sure if it was a testing plane, but I did watch an episode of some TV show I can't remember. Either way, the system worked great - quick loading times and no buffering of note. I did google "delta gogo video on demand" after seeing this thread and there's a press release mentioning video on demand available on all 757-300 aircraft. I can only hope it's the same system because it worked great.

My question (and I'm looking at you DLCorpGuy/Gal) is will this be available on domestic aircraft that fly internationally? I have an upcoming roundtrip MSP>PVR in December/January (hey - I'm Silver - I don't fly THAT much), and I was dreading a 4.5 hour flight with no IFE. Well, my boyfriend was complaining.. I'm hoping I can put him at ease that he will have entertainment options (never mind that I bought him a paid Z ticket - lol) Technically I believe the A320 would be called a domestic plane, but it's an international flight - hence my confusion. I understand the data will be stored on the plane, but will it at least still work over Mexico? From everything I've read, gogo "cuts out" ~120 miles from US borders. I know we won't have any real world examples for a few more days (such as LAX > PVR) but I suspect many of us that fly down south are curious on this topic.

Delta's press releases are slim on these details.. then again, maybe I'm the only one wondering.

OK - let the flaming begin (why I've never posted here - honestly I'm scared).
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Welcome and please don't be scared.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by troyintn
I just wish the speed was faster,
I agree. We need a high-speed Internet.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver (FO)
let's see - I live in Minneapolis and grew up in Iowa - could I be any more self-conscious?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:59 am

For a good morning laugh, please read the comments left on CNN's version of this announcement. Love those angry kettles.
http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/29/news...html?hpt=hp_t4
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by JustMeInMSP
My question (and I'm looking at you DLCorpGuy/Gal) is will this be available on domestic aircraft that fly internationally? I have an upcoming roundtrip MSP>PVR in December/January (hey - I'm Silver - I don't fly THAT much), and I was dreading a 4.5 hour flight with no IFE. Well, my boyfriend was complaining.. I'm hoping I can put him at ease that he will have entertainment options (never mind that I bought him a paid Z ticket - lol) Technically I believe the A320 would be called a domestic plane, but it's an international flight - hence my confusion. I understand the data will be stored on the plane, but will it at least still work over Mexico? From everything I've read, gogo "cuts out" ~120 miles from US borders. I know we won't have any real world examples for a few more days (such as LAX > PVR) but I suspect many of us that fly down south are curious on this topic.

Delta's press releases are slim on these details.. then again, maybe I'm the only one wondering.

OK - let the flaming begin (why I've never posted here - honestly I'm scared).
Welcome! I think FTers are generally great and sometimes some people get aggressive but I love having everyone chip in to make all of our travel lives better!

As for this, this is interesting. I used Gogo on the B744 from ICN to DTW and it actually cuts out over Russian airspace.

Going on that, I'd say that on the way to PVR, I'd assume they'd have Gogo on within the U.S. so you can probably get onto Delta Studio on your personal device and Gogo would verify your name and seat number at which point you could access the data server.

I suppose if it's a one time verification from the start, there should be no problems. However, if it continually needs to verify, then perhaps it would cut out. Alternatively, maybe Gogo and the server on board will just download the passenger manifest so no internet connection is needed to verify.

Hopefully DLCorpGal/Guy can enlighten us!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They'll still need a lot of wifi bandwidth on board, if not ground/satellite to plane.
True, but that's really not that difficult with today's APs. Even most home APs can handle multiple streaming connections these days. The bandwidth isn't really that high for a streaming movie (for example: ~1.5Mbps for SD, 5Mbs for HD on netflix). The video is compressed which is why it uses so little bandwidth.

Source: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Theoretically, you could have as many as 25-30 connections to one physical AP with no major issues (for Gogo). Now for streaming, that may drop to say 5-10 per AP. Even so, they already have 8 or so APs on a narrowbody. Low end: 8 APs x 5 streamers = 40 streamers on a flight.

If they want to "protect" Gogo traffic (and they probably will since it brings in $), it would be very easy with today's tech (VLAN's, QoS, overlaid SSIDs) to segregate it so that it's not affected by the streamers.

Note: Mbs is megabit per second. MB/s is Megabyte per second. 1 Megabyte is 8 Megabits.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
So I was wondering if DL is already turning this on before August 1... got a flight tomorrow and this could come in handy in EC!

Anyone have any luck so far today?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
I suppose if it's a one time verification from the start, there should be no problems. However, if it continually needs to verify, then perhaps it would cut out. Alternatively, maybe Gogo and the server on board will just download the passenger manifest so no internet connection is needed to verify.
I would suspect (read: hope) that they simply use the credentials that we use to login to the Delta app. Then they already know what seat we're assigned.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HDQDD
The video won't be streaming from the ground. They'll have a server on-board.
Still, even 50 people streaming at once will clog up servers. Unless the servers can handle that capacity. DLCorpGuy, can you confirm?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Special App Needed?

Wife has an iPod. I have a Chromebook. It's not clear to me whether a special app needs to be pre-loaded on our devices before we fly -- or if the movies and music stream thru our already-installed web browsers like YouTube does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.