Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Studio

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Anyone have problems with DS on an iPad Pro?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:59 pm

Did Delta Studio change for C+?

So on my flight today from ATL to SAN, I had a different experience with Delta Studio. One, it actually worked on my tablet this time (Nexus 7 2013) Two, it didn't give me any "premium" options for movies and TV shows. The last time I flew Delta was August and on the same flight (ATL-SAN) it DS gave me the option to put in my C+ set number and name to get the premium content for free. However, today that content just wasn't there. I searched and search because even the magazine was showing a bunch of movies and shows that should have been in DS, but were not. Is it because it's Dec 2, and they haven't updated stuff? If that were the case, shouldn't the premium content from last month still be there? It was a 737-300 btw.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers
So on my flight today from ATL to SAN, I had a different experience with Delta Studio. One, it actually worked on my tablet this time (Nexus 7 2013) Two, it didn't give me any "premium" options for movies and TV shows. The last time I flew Delta was August and on the same flight (ATL-SAN) it DS gave me the option to put in my C+ set number and name to get the premium content for free. However, today that content just wasn't there. I searched and search because even the magazine was showing a bunch of movies and shows that should have been in DS, but were not. Is it because it's Dec 2, and they haven't updated stuff? If that were the case, shouldn't the premium content from last month still be there? It was a 737-300 btw.
Not everything is loaded on all flights. I think only the widebodies get all content loaded. At least IME that's how it's been for awhile.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Agree with flyerCO - different planes are clearly loaded with different content. Sometimes it asks for my seat number and gives it to me free, other times nothing. Most recent was on SEA-MSP-SEA (in first) 757 both ways (don't recall the setup exactly), but it had no 'premium' options for pay/free with seat - every movie was free to all. Quite a limited selection to be honest with a lot of older titles than I have been seeing.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Lots of bizarre problems lately. On a couple different flights during the past month, multiple errors with gogo and/or DL studio. I mentioned above small issues with my wife's Samsung tablet. Last week, we had several issues on both our devices (Samsung Tab 10.1, and my ipad mini 2). First flight, was possibly a gogo problem. Even after crossing 10K, the network never appeared and we couldn't connect. It finally showed up, but then wouldn't load or the DL page loaded like molasses. Finally, 30 minutes into a 2h15 trip, it worked, but not everyone got it working at the same time. I asked the purser if they could reset the network, but they said it was controlled from the flight deck (I've never heard that before, I thought it was in the main cabin, and the FAs could turn it off and on...). Methinks they forgot to turn it on, because about 3 minutes after I complained, it magically started working...

On the way back, DL studio would drop all the time, sometimes for 5-10 minutes at a time. The reason both of these events bothered me is because regardless of whether there service lapses or ground to air gogo issues, shouldn't the DL studio still work? And on a related note, why can't we use DL studio below 10K? It's not like DL is streaming all that content to everyones' devices, right? Not with their paltry bandwith.

And finally, what's up with the DL Studio website still saying "The Fly Delta app is currently being updated." It's been saying that for ages. I always just used the DL app on my ipad to watch movies, because my first iPad had limited storage, so I didn't want to have two apps. Thankfully, they let you download the GoGo app in flight, and since my new iPad has more storage, I have space for it. So I might just ditch the iPad DL app (you can hardly use it without being in the air and buying wifi), because the gogo app seems to work well.
And does anyone else wish the gogo or DL app would make it easier to navigate DL studio? I know it's not a huge inconvenience, but having to open the browser, a new tab, wait for the slow network to connect, then browse the Studio content, put in your info, then hop over to the player app to watch the video, it is just cumbersome. Surely they could streamline it and let you do all that from within one of the apps?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've basically given up on DL Studio at this point. The latest versions of Android are not supported and I'm not going to drag my laptop out or start using an iPad just to watch an inflight movie.

I'm back to just buying/renting stuff and downloading it on the ground, especially now that Amazon Video started allowing downloads. Much easier/quicker to pull things up, works gate-to-gate, and all around just plain better.

Kind of sucks, because inflight streaming is a great concept (and could certainly make $ for DL and Gogo), but the execution has been just terrible.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've basically given up on DL Studio at this point. The latest versions of Android are not supported and I'm not going to drag my laptop out or start using an iPad just to watch an inflight movie.

I'm back to just buying/renting stuff and downloading it on the ground, especially now that Amazon Video started allowing downloads. Much easier/quicker to pull things up, works gate-to-gate, and all around just plain better.

Kind of sucks, because inflight streaming is a great concept (and could certainly make $ for DL and Gogo), but the execution has been just terrible.
Same here, I pretty much just make sure I have enough movies on my computer to watch prior to flying. I only connect to GoGo to check remaining flight time.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by gooselee

I don't know what happened. When it first came out, I was surprised just how well it seemed to work (ignoring the bug which would allow you to simply make up a name and pick an F seat and you could watch premium content for free ). It is good that they are adding IFE to the Airbus and the 737s that don't have it yet. But that will take a long time, and those not yet modded, plus the entire regional fleet, plus the older 757s with only overhead TVs still make up a large number of the fleet.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Has anyone tried using Delta Studio with a 64bit Windows system using BlueStacks? (BlueStacks is an interface to use Android on a Windows PC).

I am wondering if that will get around this issue.

My other option is not as friendly but wondering if a Virtual W7 session would work too.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does DeltaStudio know who I am?

When DL Studio first started, to use it on my own deviice I would usually need to enter my last name and seat number to avoid paying for movies as a FC passenger.

However, recently I haven't been asked to do this. AFAIK it's not totally free for everyone on board (these are domestic flights without individual AVOD screens at seats) and I'm pretty sure I've generally been picking movies that carry fees.

Is DL recognizing my device and associating it with my seat number automatically so as not to bother me with entering evidence that DL should not attempt to charge for my selection? I have the app on the device. In addition, I sometimes open delta.dumb and it always populates the DL homepage automatically with my DL FF number.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:44 am

I've been on flights recently and Delta Studio isn't even available. Is this unusual?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Only if the aircraft doesn't have wifi.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Has anyone tried using Delta Studio with a 64bit Windows system using BlueStacks? (BlueStacks is an interface to use Android on a Windows PC).

I am wondering if that will get around this issue.

My other option is not as friendly but wondering if a Virtual W7 session would work too.

Why not just download Firefox or Chrome and use an agent switcher extension?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Only if the aircraft doesn't have wifi.
I don't usually use wifi. The flights were mainline and one CR9, all domestic, over land, and wifi purchasing options looked available, but the Delta Studio button was completely missing. It's possible that trying to purchase wifi could have led to realizing it was inop, but I couldn't believe that Delta Studio couldn't even be found.

I was using an iPhone 6 with Safari. I'm not a tech genius, but I'm confident in navigating gogo's site.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
I don't usually use wifi. The flights were mainline and one CR9, all domestic, over land, and wifi purchasing options looked available, but the Delta Studio button was completely missing. It's possible that trying to purchase wifi could have led to realizing it was inop, but I couldn't believe that Delta Studio couldn't even be found.

I was using an iPhone 6 with Safari. I'm not a tech genius, but I'm confident in navigating gogo's site.
A test would have been to try one of the other free gogo options, although recently people have been reporting (my own experience is 1-1) not being to get into delta.dumb without paying for gogo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.