Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New: Update to F Class for $$ Button on Existing Trips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New: Update to F Class for $$ Button on Existing Trips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by offdalip
Has anybody noticed that the $$ amount seems to change alot from one day to the next?

An upcoming trip I have TPA <> PDX keeps changing from $677 to $777.
yesterday it was higher, now its come down again
probably because fares change daily.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Exactly. There's no deal to be had here. It equals out to the same price as if you had just bought first class, but waives the change fee - something I do regularly when my clients only pay coach. DL is just trying to make it easier to extract money from you for something you may want or are impulse buying.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by tkey75
Exactly. There's no deal to be had here. It equals out to the same price as if you had just bought first class, but waives the change fee - something I do regularly when my clients only pay coach. DL is just trying to make it easier to extract money from you for something you may want or are impulse buying.
I think at the very least this deflates the arguments on FT from certain "HVF" that the only reason they don't buy the F fare is because of company policy. Now it is easy to circumvent. Print your coach receipt, upgrade on your own dime. Problem solved.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by United747
Fwiw, I have the DL amex plat and I too have a reservation that only allows an upgrade to econ comfort.
Same here. My reservation was made through my corporate booking site. I expect not to get this offer since I can't book business travel on Delta's website.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I think at the very least this deflates the arguments on FT from certain "HVF" that the only reason they don't buy the F fare is because of company policy. Now it is easy to circumvent. Print your coach receipt, upgrade on your own dime. Problem solved.
I would do this if Delta gave me the option. See my reply above.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Traveller
Same here. My reservation was made through my corporate booking site. I expect not to get this offer since I can't book business travel on Delta's website.

I would do this if Delta gave me the option. See my reply above.
My only F option is a personal trip booked on delta.com. The ones booked through Concur either don't have an option or the EC option.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If Delta really wanted to make some money, why not offer seats somewhere close to flight time (12/24 hrs) for a price - probably less than this deal - but still money/miles in Delta's pocket? And, per segment or at least one way.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by yohanson
My only F option is a personal trip booked on delta.com. The ones booked through Concur either don't have an option or the EC option.
My trips do have the option to upgrade to EC, but I'm already in those seats.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
If Delta really wanted to make some money, why not offer seats somewhere close to flight time (12/24 hrs) for a price - probably less than this deal - but still money/miles in Delta's pocket? And, per segment or at least one way.
That seems like a way to lose money. Allowing customers to secure an economy fare, then play the last minute discount game with empty FC seats where the only risk to the player is keeping the status quo, seems stacked towards our side.

When those normally high-margin seats are given to those with status, they are buying loyalty and legitimacy for the FF program. Or in the case of brief and dramatic airfare wars, they are buying ink on blogs and travel news media.

Selling under-market near the departure would encourage more to wait, leaving more open seats.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Exactly. There's no deal to be had here. It equals out to the same price as if you had just bought first class, but waives the change fee.
Not based on the two offers i have received so far. As reported in the First Class Monetization thread, i received an offer 10 days ago to upgrade my flight tomorrow for $95.50. At the time I booked the flight -and when I received this offer a few days later - the First Class fare was around $400 more than my coach fare.

For a trip next week, the A fare was $479 more than coach at the time of booking. After ticket purchase, the website offered me a buy-up at $379, which I passed on. When I opened up my reservation yesterday, the buy-up offer was now $105.00...which I took.

Last edited by pbjag; Jun 21, 2014 at 3:35 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:36 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Is it possible to do this on a segmented basis?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Might it also be that on the flights where this is being offered all UGs will be battlefield? I've got a flight for tomorrow. DM on an M fare with no advance UG. Yesterday, all but one seats showed open in F, but today, there are ten of sixteen seats taken. The UG is offered online for $29.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Might it also be that on the flights where this is being offered all UGs will be battlefield? I've got a flight for tomorrow. DM on an M fare with no advance UG. Yesterday, all but one seats showed open in F, but today, there are ten of sixteen seats taken. The UG is offered online for $29.

At the time I received the $95 offer for my flight tomorrow (approx.9-10 days before the flight), there were only 3 seats left in First. For next week's flights, however, FC is wide open.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
So that is a + for you, but you are certainly not the target.

The target is the idiot consumer who would not by a $1200 ticket in F, but will pay $600 to upgrade a $600 ticket.

The only thing that surprises me is that there is no 1c/mile SM redemption option.
You might call them idiots, but there are lots of impulse buyers, and DL is taking advantage of that consumer behavior. I know a number of folks who do just waht you described. It's smart behavioral marketing (although it does reduce the valued upgrade perk).
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
If anyone is curious on how this posts to skymiles, I got cos bonus. It posted as an up fare.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbjag
Exactly. There's no deal to be had here. It equals out to the same price as if you had just bought first class, but waives the change fee.
For a trip next week, the A fare was $479 more than coach at the time of booking. After ticket purchase, the website offered me a buy-up at $379, which I passed on. When I opened up my reservation yesterday, the buy-up offer was now $105.00.
But what was the price of a first class ticket *yesterday* relative to what your original coach ticket cost?

It's certainly possible they opened G inventory since you previously checked. (Of course it's also possible they're offering discounted buy ups, like UA's "TOD" program...)

As for the business travelers - I would think that if you purchase your coach ticket through the corporate TA, DL will not offer the buy-up. Generally the airline won't touch a TA-issued ticket until day of departure (or T-24h).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.