Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Connections at JFK and CDG; enough time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, BA Exec

Dear forum,

I have this flight scheduled for later this august. The layovers are around 1,45 hours. Is that enough time to connect between these two flights do you reckon?

Monday, August 18th
DL 215
DPT: Malaga t 11:55
ARR: New York at 14:12

DL419
DPT: New York at 16:00
ARR: Seattle at 19:30

[DL615]
Saturday, August 23rd
DPT: Seattle at 13:29
ARR: Paris at 08:35 - on August 24th

[UX1034]
DPT: Paris at 10:25
ARR: Malaga at 13:00

Many thanks for this fantastic help you give here.

Best regards,
Old May 15, 2014, 2:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Hello and welcome to FlyerTalk, bendercy! The forum you posted to was for American Airlines, but none of your flights are on AA or will be departing/arriving to AA-operated terminals. As such, I've gone ahead and split this post into its own thread and moved it to the DL forum as I believe that's the best place for these questions. Good luck with your travels!

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old May 15, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Boarding starts at 15:30 at JFK, so effectively you have 1 hour 15 minutes to clear immigration, customs and get to T4 from T2. Personally I would avoid such short connections.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
Boarding starts at 15:30 at JFK, so effectively you have 1 hour 15 minutes to clear immigration, customs and get to T4 from T2. Personally I would avoid such short connections.
It's actually 1:30 since passengers are required to board at T-15 in order to keep their seat. No need to go from T2 to T4, as the flight from Malaga is International and Immigration clearance will be done at T4. The connection is doable, I've seen agents handing an express card at JFK T4 for those with a tight connection. The longest wait will be at the baggage claim area.

For the return, it will be completely fine. You will be arriving at Terminal 2E, and departing from 2F, which is a very easy/painless connection nowadays.
Old May 15, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Weren't they supposed to standardize flight numbers at JFK?
Old May 15, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
Weren't they supposed to standardize flight numbers at JFK?
This is only for departing flights. All DL international flights arrive at T4.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Your DL215 will arrive at T4. I would re-clear TSA security at T4 and then take the Jitney inside security that leaves T4 by gate B20 and takes you over to T2 for DL419 (the Jitney ride is inside the sterile area). I think this is easier/faster than exiting T4 and taking the AirTrain to T2 and re-clearing TSA at T2 (T2 security is awful).
Old May 15, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by bendercy
Dear forum,

I have this flight scheduled for later this august. The layovers are around 1,45 hours. Is that enough time to connect between these two flights do you reckon?

Monday, August 18th
DL 215
DPT: Malaga t 11:55
ARR: New York at 14:12

DL419
DPT: New York at 16:00
ARR: Seattle at 19:30

[DL615]
Saturday, August 23rd
DPT: Seattle at 13:29
ARR: Paris at 08:35 - on August 24th

[UX1034]
DPT: Paris at 10:25
ARR: Malaga at 13:00

Many thanks for this fantastic help you give here.

Best regards,
On 18 August, Delta also has a later nonstop flight JFK-SEA, leaving at 6:45 PM and arriving at 10:18 PM. There is also a one-stop flight via MSP leaving at 6:30. If you miss your tight connection, they will rebook you on one of these later flights.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by rubesl
Your DL215 will arrive at T4. I would re-clear TSA security at T4 and then take the Jitney inside security that leaves T4 by gate B20 and takes you over to T2 for DL419 (the Jitney ride is inside the sterile area). I think this is easier/faster than exiting T4 and taking the AirTrain to T2 and re-clearing TSA at T2 (T2 security is awful).
Again, no need to head to T2. DL419 departs from T4, as any other flight starting with 4. OP will go through arrive, clear immigration & customs, re-check luggage, and clear TSA at T4.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As mentioned, both of your flights at JFK are in T4. The issue I can see is that, presumably you are not a US citizen so you will have to wait in the possibly long passport control line instead of being able to use the fast passport kiosk.

Are you checking a bag? That can add more time having to wait in the customs area for your bag to arrive, and then getting in the exit line to leave customs and go back to security. However, as mentioned there are other flights to SEA so you'd get put on the later one if you happen to miss it.

CDG you have almost 2hrs so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, BA Exec
Thank you everyone for your kind and fast replies on this!

Let me give some more details:

- I will be flying in business class
- Only carry hand luggage
- Spanish citizen with ESTA form completed online etc...

So I understand that arrival from Malaga (AGP) to Seattle are both happening within the same Terminal 4, correct?
Old May 16, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes AGP-JFK would arrive in T4, and JFK-SEA depart from T4. It just might be a long walk from the gate to immigration.

It'll help since you're in business and only have a carry on bag, but you'll still have to wait in the normal passport control line since the fast Kiosks are only for US or Canada citizens. I think you'll still make it to the gate for the SEA flight before they start boarding.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:08 pm

In addition, as I mentioned before, sometimes there are agents in the corridor between the gate area and immigration handing out cards for connecting passengers that can get you through quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.