Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta 757 International Config Review

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Delta 757 International Config Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Ooh nice this bird just showed up for my JFK-ATL leg in July. Let's hope they don't swap it out.

Now which seat to select
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by mother-
Did it look like the aisle seats got more foot room?
I managed to get a 75W SFO-JFK and in 1A I didn't have problems with foot space, but there is not much leg room when partially reclined. Overall really liked the layout- it was much less claustrophobic a window seat experience than a 777 or 767. It's amazing what a drop-down armrest can do for your perception of space. I'd rank this right behind the 747 UD, though I've not been on a redone A33x.

On the negative side- the IFE was already reduced to a steaming pile. Horrible audio problems (if you didn't pull something trying to plug your headphones in- wow is that un-ergonomic!) and a good portion of the content wouldn't play.

However i's apparently a big huge pain in the ... to work on as cabin crew and about the smallest front lav I've ever seen. Cabin crew felt working the front of this aircraft is only less miserable than working the back of the 739.

PS If you're nearly 6'3 and have working hips/knees, you can definitely brace yourself and climb over the aisle pax if you are careful. I got a golf-clap standing O from the galley when I accomplished such without waking the young female in 1B.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Did it look like the aisle seats got more foot room?
As another poster said upthread, it looks really similar to the UA layout...if that holds true, the bulkhead will actually be your best bet for foot room.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
As another poster said upthread, it looks really similar to the UA layout...if that holds true, the bulkhead will actually be your best bet for foot room.
Then take my review with a grain of salt as to foot room...
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I just flew N721TW and I agree with the generally positive reviews. For two people traveling together it's a great config, though the seat divider can get in the way. If you like window seats, these are great -- angled slightly towards the window so you can easily stare out. Generally better storage than the 75E config. (There's a small shelf under the screen where you can put a book or an ipad, but not a laptop.)

The seats themselves are very comfortable, and if you partially recline them they end up in a very nice position to watch a movie or read a book. The offset configuration (1CD is halfway between 1AB and 2AB) is reasonably private, more so than the 76W (but not like the 74S or 772/L).

The table is light years better than the old 75E table, though if you like having the extra console space that the 767s have you'll be disappointed here.

The overhead bins haven't changed, and as the last to board (with J full) I took up the last available space. Contrast with the 747/767/777 where I usually get my own bin.

On the negative side- the IFE was already reduced to a steaming pile. Horrible audio problems (if you didn't pull something trying to plug your headphones in- wow is that un-ergonomic!) and a good portion of the content wouldn't play.
Audio problems are usually the fault of the headsets. Out of 3 sets I tried, one had horrible feedback, and another had a faulty right audio connection.

However i's apparently a big huge pain in the ... to work on as cabin crew and about the smallest front lav I've ever seen. Cabin crew felt working the front of this aircraft is only less miserable than working the back of the 739.
I don't think the front lav was meaningfully different in size than the old 75E lav. The galley didn't seem all that different either, though I didn't spend a lot of time there. The closet is now behind 4AB.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
anyone know when the next 757s go in for mods?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Audio problems are usually the fault of the headsets. Out of 3 sets I tried, one had horrible feedback, and another had a faulty right audio connection.
I've always stopped at 2 pairs of headsets, I'll try a third in the future! (I wish I was being sarcastic!) On my flight like 1/2 of the movie's/content wouldn't play however. This was completely separate to the audio issues.

I don't think the front lav was meaningfully different in size than the old 75E lav.
It felt smaller to me- I had to plan out turning around. Most of my comments about the lavs, etc., were based on chatting with the crew while I was steeling myself to climb back over the sleeping ~20yo female of no relation to me to get back in my seat. They also had some service issues with the narrowness of the aisle between the closets in front of row 1 of the variety of "whoops, can't do it that way anymore."
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
On my flight like 1/2 of the movie's/content wouldn't play however. This was completely separate to the audio issues.
Other than planned interruptions (like when the ads come on at 10k ft) I had no problem with the system. Very responsive, probably the best in the fleet except maybe the 74S.

It felt smaller to me- I had to plan out turning around.
One thing that is different is that the forward lav now has a folding door that opens inwards. Before it was a single leaf door that opened outwards (and regularly collided with the cockpit door during boarding).

Most of my comments about the lavs, etc., were based on chatting with the crew while I was steeling myself to climb back over the sleeping ~20yo female of no relation to me to get back in my seat. They also had some service issues with the narrowness of the aisle between the closets in front of row 1 of the variety of "whoops, can't do it that way anymore."
I'm impressed by your seat navigation ability. One trick I use is to grab the OHB. The aisle is definitely narrower throughout the forward cabin, and because of the staggered layout you sort of need to zig zag.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Just flew a 75W for the first time in 3B on a red-eye LAX-JFK. The seats themselves are far more comfortable I thought versus the 763, which I find to be quite stiff/hard. These have more cushion to them. My only complaints really were space for your feet, which felt very constrained (6', 180, size 12 shoe here), and the amount of "empty drop off space" around the head and sides. For instance my pillow kept wanting to slide down in the back (between the headrest and the shell of the seat) and I found my arms/hands slipping on the side between the seat and the center console. So while I couldn't comfortably stretch out fully, I managed some excellent sleep for a domestic red-eye. I'd still take 1A/1D on the 76W for a redeye though, but would probably opt for the 75W on a daytime flight (more comfortable seats, I like the angled configuration, plus more personalized service in the smaller cabin).

I was surprised they offered the equivalent of a domestic F dinner on the 9:30pm LAX departure, though I think everyone passed.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Really disappointed my JFK to Dublin flight doesn't have flat beds. I thought these were all remodeled already. My fault for not reading more into it, but seriously, this product is quite dated for what Delta charges in dollars and miles. I used a systemwide upgrade from my 1800$ Y fare. With this seat, seems like it should have been a regional upgrade!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Really disappointed my JFK to Dublin flight doesn't have flat beds. I thought these were all remodeled already. My fault for not reading more into it, but seriously, this product is quite dated for what Delta charges in dollars and miles. I used a systemwide upgrade from my 1800$ Y fare. With this seat, seems like it should have been a regional upgrade!
All the international wide-bodies are remodeled. The international 757s will be done by next year.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:09 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I would be livid if I had a TATL flight on a non-updated 757.. That being said, after flying the updated 757 JFK-LAX-JFK, I think they're my favorite bird in the fleet. It reminds me of the oh so coveted upstairs on a DL 747. 16 pax, and what felt like 2 FAs.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Flew JFK to Dublin and back with old version. Those headphones and jacks are in serious disrepair. Went through three pairs and ended up having to hold the plug in place for three hours to hear. Looked like several others had same problem in each direction. Hardly premium entertainment or recline.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mark2fly1034
I just got off N721TW the only 757-200 in the new International configuration.

A very nice updated cabin with mood lighting, 16 business elite seats in a 2-2 configuration. All are lie flat.

The screens were really large. The safety video came out a little blurry but the moving map looked great.

Power outlet and a little storage area kind of awkward turn to reach all the way back and behind you.

Red seat belt strap.

Seat Controls

New remote which is not like any others Delta have.

LED reading light with 4 modes of brightness and also a set of seat controls for takeoff and sleep modes only. Neat idea but not very useful.

More mood lighting

Trey table with all wood finish. Matches the pre-depature drink table between seat mates.

A light snack they said. It was a full meal in which you might find on a domestic route. Burger was very good. With a potato salad and strawberry cheesecake.

Muffin before landing.

Over view of my seat.

A few notes do not sit in 4C as the bathroom light will shine on you as people exit. 4D is not as bad with the divider blocking out most of the light. Overall I enjoyed the new cabin and is a very nice upgrade i look forward to see more often. The seats are angled in towards the windows. I think it might be hard to climb over someone in the middle of the night if you have the window. The foot rest area is a little on the small side but my feet fit okay (size 11 shoe). My final verdict is an A- just because of some small things. I did get a good night rest for a such a quick red eye.

Any questions please ask.
Is this a redeye flight? Can I expect a burger meal on my past-9pm redeye from SFO to jfk in June?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.