Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Skymiles 2015 looks good to me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by HongKonger
You're right. I'm not saying things should be different, or that those flyers aren't entitled to perks or anything like that. I'm only saying they love to trumpet their value when it's not really their money. And that is amusing, but sad.
+1 and very amusing. It is the corporation they work for that is high value. To say that one is of high value when spending someone else's money is beyond humorous. In many households, the owner sends the maid shopping with the owner's money. I guess you could say the maid is of high value. Perhaps there are many maids here and their hubris won't allow them to admit it. And the worst ones are the hub captive maids.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
That could mean total travel time, which there are some east-coast to west coast routes that could take that long, especially if you have to double connect. MIA-ATL is 2 hours. 2.5 hour layover and then a 5.5 hour flight to SEA is 10 hours. I would hope people aren't purposely booking longer layovers than necessary or booking connections or double connections when nonstops or single connections are available just to get over the 10 hour mark, but there are a handful of reasonable domestic itineraries that could take 10+ hours. Don't forget East Coast - Hawaii/Alaska is easily going to push 10 hours or more as well.
You're right, I forgot about Hawaii and Alaska. I wish I had to take business trips to Hawaii
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
What domestic trip would be 10 hours?????
In practice, it really means trips to AK and HI and even then from the eastern US. Still, during the summer, if you book shorter connections you can end up in coach to AK if you go to ANC. Somebody did that a couple of years ago, and booked First Class return flights ANC-HSV that were under 10 hours. The ticketing agency caught it and rebooked it into coach, which was a good catch.

But we mostly go to FAI and its always a double connection out of HSV. Well, except during the summer when you can go UA HSV-DEN and F9 DEN-FAI.

David
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
You're right, I forgot about Hawaii and Alaska. I wish I had to take business trips to Hawaii
AK and HI are in my territory but I've never been there for work. I would even stay the weekend.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM
I have a couple issues with FDC. But when Delta is selling first class for so cheap, you can't expect a decent product (I did an 80 minute flight on KLM last month and the portion was covered with the SWU as part of a continuation of a trip and received better service on that short of a flight than I do on Delta on a cross country flight and American provides a meal service on JFK/ORD).
Complaints on here seem to be that upgrades are harder to get (IDK because this year, I have bought nothing, but F, P, G, A, and Z). If they are tougher to get, DL is doing a better job at selling it (again an assumption, but I am sure the numbers are out there). They are making small, but noticeable changes to F.....warm options on shorter flights for breakfast, Luvo meals, upgraded catering, etc. Seems to me that when more of the people flying up front are paying, the better the product is getting. It surely isn't the meal quality, etc. as intra-Europe J, but it is a hell of a lot better than domestic UA. I flew them to HI over Christmas....the ORDSFO flight was an embarrassing fail for UA (years ago I had status with UA, but left after the employees sabotaged the airline in the summer of hell).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
One of my coworkers did when SFO-HNL was delayed on UA by >3 hours and they missed their connection to NRT
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
If the vast majority of large firms had such policies, Delta would not be removing BE seats from aircraft.

My company requires 10 hours travel for domestic FC or international BE. Other companies we work with do not pay for FC or BE period.

Government contractors are required to purchase the lowest available fare. Concur is set up for this, and we have to provide justification if we don't pick the lowest fare. For example, we can take a more expensive direct flight over a connecting flight, and we don't have to travel before 7:00 a.m. When the company pays for FC or BE as noted above, it comes out of corporate profits as it is not reimbursed by the federal government. Congress made this change a few years ago, and it is pretty painful. I don't even get credit that I save bag fees on DL and AA for cases when the DL or AA fare is slightly higher than UA. It's got to be the lowest fare period - justify it or pay up.

David
So in the quoted example, as long as you are connecting DTW to AMS and not originating, you will fly BE.

So in BK's example, you would be the firm that he would never hire.

Last edited by StuckOnSegments; Apr 23, 2014 at 1:38 pm
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
You're right. I'm not saying things should be different, or that those flyers aren't entitled to perks or anything like that. I'm only saying they love to trumpet their value when it's not really their money. And that is amusing, but sad.
I hope you aren't referring to me, as the OP.

My entire point in posting this was that I would be much better off in the new system. I'm not bragging and I'm not a person who buys the most expensive ticket possible. I'm simply saying that in my situation I will by far prefer the new system.

I think Delta rewards whoever sends them the money, just like companies do to sales people. They don't care where it comes from.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
+1 and very amusing. It is the corporation they work for that is high value. To say that one is of high value when spending someone else's money is beyond humorous. In many households, the owner sends the maid shopping with the owner's money. I guess you could say the maid is of high value. Perhaps there are many maids here and their hubris won't allow them to admit it. And the worst ones are the hub captive maids.
Not always.

I travel for my company for sure, but I have a choice of what flights I book, pay for them myself and then get reimbursed by the company. I'm sure my situation is not unique. Not only have I steered business to Delta, but my method of payment (DL Amex, vouchers or PWM) have benefited me as well. My expenses are reviewed at three levels before the reimbursement is made and. as long as I follow the rules, no problem. Yes, I am high value to Delta because I am part of the decision process.

To extend your metaphor, if you sent your maid to the store to do shopping and she chooses one brand over the other, then the grocery store will be tracking this (via those "shopper's cards") and courting her to buy their specific brands via coupons, promotions etc.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JulienMSP
I'm still on the fence about this program. On some tickets I will be getting a ridiculous amount more miles than I did before but on the flights that USED to pay out big chunks...(DXB, JNB, SYD, MEL); I'll get hosed.
Running the numbers for my regular trips to ANC, I'll lose about 5000 miles per RT under the 2015 earning rules. Spending $1400/rt. While it looks good, those that WFBF end up losing in some cases.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
The way it works for the federal government: if there's a YCA fare, you're pretty much required to take (it).
Oh, if only so. I am also DoD and just returned TPAC (DAY-DTW-ICN) in S fare class (middle seat on B474-400 to boot) since the Travel Office saw it was a lower fare than YCA-; no chance even paying for an upgrade.

Last edited by relangford; Apr 24, 2014 at 12:23 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by relangford
Oh, if only so. I am also DoD and just returned TPAC (DAY-DTW-ICN) in S fare class (middle seat on B474-400 to boot) since the Travel Office saw it was a lower fare than YCA-; no chance even paying for an upgrade.
But you were still on the GSA contract carrier for the route (DL). (Note: I guess I shouldn't have said "If there's a YCA fare, you're requried to take it" but rather, "if there is a contract carrier for the GSA City-Pair, you're required to take it in most cases"). Some routes have "YCA" (Unrestricted) and "CA" (capacity controlled) fares, but it's still the same carrier for the city-pair. DAY-ICN is one of them, looking at the GSA City-Pairs site http://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov/cpsearch...o?method=enter. Capacity controlled fares are a "discount" for booking in advance, but there's only so many available per flight and often the flight times are less desirable.

From my experience, "CA" fares don't book as a full Y-fare but work fairly similar (can be cancelled and are fully refundable - you may run into issues switching flights, especially day of though). The other difference is Elite Points and miles (which obviously isn't a concern to the government, nor should it be). I flew to SAT back in January from DAY on a GSA City Pair (AA). It was a "CA" and booked into "G" (or maybe it was "S"?), I think, which only earned 0.5 EQPs per mile flown (still earned 1 EQP and 1 AAdvantage mile per mile flown). A year ago I flew on a Capacity Controlled "CA" from IND to SAT and it booked into K on DL (DL was the GSA City Pair carrier for FY13 on IND-SAT).

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Apr 24, 2014 at 12:45 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
I hope you aren't referring to me, as the OP.

My entire point in posting this was that I would be much better off in the new system. I'm not bragging and I'm not a person who buys the most expensive ticket possible. I'm simply saying that in my situation I will by far prefer the new system.

I think Delta rewards whoever sends them the money, just like companies do to sales people. They don't care where it comes from.
If I were your boss I would take a serious look at your DL spending. You spending that much money 3 weeks out in Y looks very odd to me.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yohanson
If I were your boss I would take a serious look at your DL spending. You spending that much money 3 weeks out in Y looks very odd to me.
LOL, I love the accusations of me buying more expensive fares. Why would I do that? There's nothing that I get from it.

I guess you don't realize who uncompetitive some routs out of ATL are.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Complaints on here seem to be that upgrades are harder to get (IDK because this year, I have bought nothing, but F, P, G, A, and Z). If they are tougher to get, DL is doing a better job at selling it (again an assumption, but I am sure the numbers are out there). They are making small, but noticeable changes to F.....warm options on shorter flights for breakfast, Luvo meals, upgraded catering, etc. Seems to me that when more of the people flying up front are paying, the better the product is getting. It surely isn't the meal quality, etc. as intra-Europe J, but it is a hell of a lot better than domestic UA. I flew them to HI over Christmas....the ORDSFO flight was an embarrassing fail for UA (years ago I had status with UA, but left after the employees sabotaged the airline in the summer of hell).
Fly AA first class sometime, much better than Delta. Not sure if it's due to their FC prices being higher on paid tickets, only upgrading EPs or some other factor (of course if you don't have paid/elites up front you have non-revs who also aren't bringing in anything to the airline).

Couple other reasons besides FCM as to elites not getting upgrades, such as Delta giving out status too easily and too many elites competing for upgrades (another issue I have with FCM, I feel G and A fares should be 100% MQM not 150%, I find it unfair that on a more expensive M fare I am getting fewer MQMs sitting in the back than someone up front on a higher seat, no problem with WFBF but don't be handing out MQMs so freely), and Delta removing a row of first class on some aircraft. My upgrades are still decent as a diamond and I love the new global upgrades. I would rather sit in back on a couple domestic flights due to FCM and be able to sit up front to Australia on a T fare.

I have never sat in United up front but am told domestic it is nothing special. However United makes upgrading on SWU's for their highest elite level easy on international and also give additional SWU's for people that fly a lot of miles. I would rather have a lousy first class domestic product and receive more international upgrades and see Delta eliminate rollovers and give more SWU's to diamonds who fly a lot like united

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.