Wiki Posts
Search

Why Skymiles 2015 looks good to me

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by gooselee
And for those making comments about OPM - well, when my client calls on Thursday and asks me to be there on Monday, it's not like I'm going to tell them no. They've already decided it's worth spending their money to get me there. When I go to book I spend their money like it's my own and find the cheapest logical fare being sold at that time. Four days out, "cheapest" isn't exactly going to be cheap, but I certainly don't feel like I'm wasting their money.
+1
My travel for work has been less and less due to travel restrictions within the DoD ever since the sequester was put into effect, so most of my flying is on my own dime, but I don't get why people on here complain about flyers who fly on "OPM". 1) Why is it any of their business? (Hint: it's not) 2) Why does it matter to DL if the name on the CC matches the name on the ticket so long as Delta gets paid?

The only thing I can attribute it to is jealousy and that the people who whine about those who fly on "OPM" are the "I get status through Mileage Running" Types who are about to get a reality check regarding the real value of their flying. I already know and accept that I'm not an HVC so these new changes aren't coming as a shock to me. Some people just can't handle finding out they're not as important as they think they are though.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, MM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Why should Delta care who is paying the expensive fares. The airline's only goal is to use its perks to encourage more purchases of expensive fares.
It doesn't matter. Doesn't change the fact that airfare directly reduces my compensation by means of reducing our project bonus pool.

I'm not picking high fare because i want to, I'm buying the cheapest I can that doesn't involve ridiculous connections.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I don't get it. Under the old system, you would have been FO next year with your current stats. Under the new system, you will be FO next year with your current stats. Nothing has changed for you.
Actually, based on simple extrapolation I'll be near platinum at my current mqm accrual rate.

Nothing in this post has anything to do with status and nothing is changing regarding status in 2015 except for MQD's.

Don't know why you thought it was relevant to bring it up.

I also noticed you didn't mention RDM's at all in your post. I know that you know RDM earning is changing yet you failed to mention that. Why leave that out?

Unless you're trying to push negativity....
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:08 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by roknroll
Many, like you, will benefit. More will be hurt. DL is rewarding bigger spenders but there's no way to know how it will fare for them long term. Many frequent fliers who spend plenty with DL may move on. I think for now it will depend a lot on what the other carriers do to match or compete.
Agree with this comment. The new system is dependent on DL having valid SkyMiles redemption options, which they currently do not. If your company buys everything for you, and you get 360 status, but you can not redeem anything for your personal travel, I doubt that you really are better off. You are kidding yourself if you think people spend 360 level money on Delta economy tickets. They are holding NetJets cards, as they should be. Also, there is a cap to how many miles you can earn on a flight, fees don't count towards MQD, etc. It's far from a perfect system.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
+1
My travel for work has been less and less due to travel restrictions within the DoD ever since the sequester was put into effect, so most of my flying is on my own dime, but I don't get why people on here complain about flyers who fly on "OPM". 1) Why is it any of their business? (Hint: it's not) 2) Why does it matter to DL if the name on the CC matches the name on the ticket so long as Delta gets paid?

The only thing I can attribute it to is jealousy and that the people who whine about those who fly on "OPM" are the "I get status through Mileage Running" Types who are about to get a reality check regarding the real value of their flying. I already know and accept that I'm not an HVC so these new changes aren't coming as a shock to me. Some people just can't handle finding out they're not as important as they think they are though.
And for some flying on OPM's these changes could hurt them with RDM's if it's someone like a large corporation or government contractor that has hugely discounted actual Y tickets or allows first class. Under the current system they get 150% MQMs and rdm's. If their employer has a corporate/government discount with Delta, the miles will be based on what the employer paid, not the fare bucket.

On some fares, such as paid business class international fares, I will come out ahead. On some short haul cheap domestic fares, this will hurt me. In the end, probably won't make much difference.

My issue is that diamonds and platinum's are getting shafted with the bonus miles. There should be a better bonus.

Like the Skyclub changes, this will help a lot of travelers and is upsetting some.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Why should Delta care who is paying the expensive fares. The airline's only goal is to use its perks to encourage more purchases of expensive fares.
Correct but there seem to be a lot of people who take pride in being HVCs when in fact it is their employer who is the HVC. Just doesn't have the same ring to it does it?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Salt of the earth...you absolutely deserve it. You will never gain the approval of the low-rev MR crowd, but they will be phased out of every FF program in the next few years.

It looks good to me too and is the FAIREST loyalty program I have seen.
I can think of lots of reasons why people might be called the salt of the earth, but paying more than average for airline tickets isn't one of them.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
And for some flying on OPM's these changes could hurt them with RDM's if it's someone like a large corporation or government contractor that has hugely discounted actual Y tickets or allows first class. Under the current system they get 150% MQMs and rdm's. If their employer has a corporate/government discount with Delta, the miles will be based on what the employer paid, not the fare bucket.

On some fares, such as paid business class international fares, I will come out ahead. On some short haul cheap domestic fares, this will hurt me. In the end, probably won't make much difference.

My issue is that diamonds and platinum's are getting shafted with the bonus miles. There should be a better bonus.

Like the Skyclub changes, this will help a lot of travelers and is upsetting some.
Well for now, the MQMs are still the same (getting MQDs could be a different story). But for large corporations or government contracts, why would the one making that decision care about how many RDMs the traveler is getting, especially if the traveler doesn't have a choice? Those RDMs don't benefit the company (or the government) the person is traveling for. I've traveled for the USG and if there's a YCA carrier on the route, you're pretty much stuck with that option (yea, there are legal ways around it). I can't say "Well I'm going to go with another carrier because I won't get as many RDMs on DL now".

Side Note: Our Reds need to get it in gear. They're not doing so well to start this season.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments

I get why some people don't like it, but it certainly makes Delta more attractive than any other airline for me.

I fly coach, booked 3 weeks out.
I'm flabbergasted how you have spent so much money. I have 13,000 (9K in rollover) more MQMs than you, 4 less segments and $4000 less in MQD. I haven't booked one flight this year that was more than 13 days out with the exception of a weekend golf trip to Orlando and a lot of my trips are booked the Friday before. I'm also a hub captive but I do use RST to my advantage for cheaper flights. I still averaged over $600/ticket the past two weeks flying RST-MSP-OKC. One was booked the Thursday before and the other the Friday before. MSP-OKC would have averaged $1300/ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
ATL-NRT-SIN is over 20,000 miles round-trip. Factor in a 100% or 125% Medallion bonus, and you have someone receiving 40,000-45,000 miles for one trip. That is more than enough for one domestic award ticket - it's almost enough for two.
The post in question stated that they were getting GM status which requires 50k EQM.
That would mean MPM each way would be at least 25000 (which is not true.)
RDM was not mentioned by the poster, only EQM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Another negative post. Thanks. I guess it's other people's money, just like all your tickets are, since your paycheck came from an employer(I assume). Airfare is included in my fees.

I actually don't find the card attractive compared to others. I prefer cash back instead of miles. I mainly use it at Costco.
Actually I own my company and every dime comes out of my pocket.

And you say you try to find the cheapest fare, on all airlines? There can be some pretty cheap last minute fares on US. Or the cheapest you can find on DL to benefit you.

You want to brag about how much you spend, but it is shallow when it doesn't come directly out of your own pocket.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Congratulations on wasting the revenue of others.
Dear oh dear.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: SQ
OPM aside, it's a bit ridiculous that some of us have to pay these fares. Competition around me makes it pretty affordable most of the time - even ATL is reasonable.

I think that even if I bought all FCM fares in 2015, I'd do worse than I do now. That's just the nature of the market I guess.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
I'm with OP. ^

And for those making comments about OPM - well, when my client calls on Thursday and asks me to be there on Monday, it's not like I'm going to tell them no. They've already decided it's worth spending their money to get me there. When I go to book I spend their money like it's my own and find the cheapest logical fare being sold at that time. Four days out, "cheapest" isn't exactly going to be cheap, but I certainly don't feel like I'm wasting their money.
Very well stated. ^

+1
I don't get why people on here complain about flyers who fly on "OPM". 1) Why is it any of their business? (Hint: it's not) 2) Why does it matter to DL if the name on the CC matches the name on the ticket so long as Delta gets paid?

Very well stated. ^

I'm not picking high fare because i want to, I'm buying the cheapest I can that doesn't involve ridiculous connections.
^
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Actually I own my company and every dime comes out of my pocket.

And you say you try to find the cheapest fare, on all airlines? There can be some pretty cheap last minute fares on US. Or the cheapest you can find on DL to benefit you.

You want to brag about how much you spend, but it is shallow when it doesn't come directly out of your own pocket.
Another attack. As I said earlier, my travel expenses do affect my compensation. I'm from Atlanta, unless there's more than $3-400 difference, it's not worth the lost hours.

Again, I'm not bragging. I'm just saying I will be much better under the new system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.