Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm making GM this week

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by qmiro
How does it work with mqms from the Amex card? Is it every year or just the first year? For instance I have the platinum card with 150 in annual fee. Do I get some mqms for reaching some spending every year on it? Congrats to OP for reaching Gold. I did last November. It is much nicer I have to say. The 100% rdm mileage bonus is good. Plus access to Lounges and sky priority. Safe travels.
With the DL Plat AmEx credit card (as the primary cardholder on the account) linked to your DL FF account, you get 10,000 MQMs for $25,000 spend and another 10,000 MQMs for an additional $25,000 spend. Here spend doesn't include the annual fee, returned items, interest and penalties, "money" transactions, etc.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Don't forget that extra mileage bonus! And shorter hold times when you call DL (hopefully). Plus, I've found the higher your status is, the better chance of getting rules belt during IROPs, mistakes on your part etc.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
I've had frontline agents tell me as an FO I could not check a 70lb bag on SEA-JFK, which is obviously a domestic flight that FO is entitled to a free 70lb bag. Even after I showed her the dl.dumb chart I was still denied the free 70lb bag. I paid the fee and later got it refunded, but it's stupid hassles like that as an FO I dealt with.
As a GM, suddenly with SkyPriority, frontline agents are willing to help me. I won't go into all the details, but Delta has treated me much better as a GM. I'm >50% for UG's when not traveling in/out of JFK, but as always, YMMV.
The SkyTeam partners won't always do a great job recognizing STE+ and according you the benefits (i.e. KLM didn't let me board with SKY until I showed them my GM card), but in general the advertised benefits of STE+ are nice when you get them.
These are the sort of things I've experienced too. It's hard to put my finger on them, but I just feel like agents' attitudes are different to GM+. I've had a lot more luck getting rules bent or having agents go out of their way to help me since making GM. Of course being polite helps too, but I tried to do that as an FO as well. Maybe I'm just more cordial when not boarding in the AmEx Zone 1.

International lounges are great too, although part of that is going away when we lose contract lounge access. I'd also be pretty upset if I was flying from London and got stuck flying out of T3 since only PM+ or business pax get access to Virgin's lounge there. Hopefully DL will re-think this move that shafts GMs. As a tip, if your status isn't showing up on your AF/KLM bookings, go to a check-in agent the next time you fly them and have them pull up your reservation and swipe your Delta card in their computer. The agent at the baggage counter at IAD did this last time I flew KLM and was able to immediately print a new BP showing my status and Sky Priority.

Last edited by mattp1987; Apr 15, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by mattp1987
These are the sort of things I've experienced too. It's hard to put my finger on them, but I just feel like agents' attitudes are different to GM+. I've had a lot more luck getting rules bent or having agents go out of their way to help me since making GM. Of course being polite helps too, but I tried to do that as an FO as well. Maybe I'm just more cordial
You're not kidding there. During my time as an FO, I found this particularly true at ATL ticketing and check-in. Because of the large numbers of Medallions, DL has a dedicated FO ticketing and check-in line at ATL. But to be honest, it's worse than the non-medallion lines. Every little kiosk problem or issue gets sent to the FO line, regardless of status. Add in the DL Line Dragon stationed at the top of the queue who 9 times out of 10 insists that you go to the non-medallion line anyways and you have an all-around sub-standard experience.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:58 am

Oh I forgot to mention - Free Same-day Confirmed travel.

This is great not only because of obvious scheduling flexibility, but to maximize your chances for an upgrade as well. Many times I've switched to a flight with more open seats in FC, fewer seats occupied total, and/or on elite-light routes for a free upgrade with minimal impact on my travel schedule.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I became GM the other day. First flight as GM will be DTW-LHR. The only GM benefits that are useful for me in this case will be the SkyTeam Elite status for check-in and boarding plus the 100% mileage bonus.

I am an Amex Reserve member so already get the domestic lounges. Not far away from PM though. I will be MQD exempt by next month and should also reach the PM MQM threshold by then too. I am really after the domestic upgrades for regular travel and working towards DM for the GUCs to use with the family. I think I'll hit DM this year.

Despite the mixed feelings regarding Delta's changes, they are working for me. I'm not the kind of guy who wants to do MRs. I just want to get where I'm going and get back to my family as quickly and efficiently as possible. My flights are also dictated to some extent by customers and are often <2 weeks so I am often not paying bottom dollar.

I've also received very good customer service in general from Delta. A couple of weeks ago during the snowstorm at MSP, I was traveling with my wife and baby and our flight from GEG to MSP was cancelled. Our original tickets were EC. We were automatically rebooked in FC for the first flight and EC for the second. The MSP-DTW flight was a nightmare. delayed by over 3 hours and stuck on tarmac, but the captain was excellent and kept us informed. The crew were fine also.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, DL DM
Just checked into my flight tomorrow, and already seeing the bennys pile up. Upgraded on 1 of my segments and received a HOOU coupon for not being upgraded on my second.

Although it's a Wednesday flight, I'm positive I would not have been upgraded as FO.

Feelsgoodman^
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:29 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qmiro
How does it work with mqms from the Amex card? Is it every year or just the first year? For instance I have the platinum card with 150 in annual fee. Do I get some mqms for reaching some spending every year on it? Congrats to OP for reaching Gold. I did last November. It is much nicer I have to say. The 100% rdm mileage bonus is good. Plus access to Lounges and sky priority. Safe travels.
For every $25,000 in spend you get 10,000 MQM's. Be aware, things like interest and the annual card fee don't count.

The $25,000 also exempts you from the MQD requirements for all levels of FO - DM.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:32 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AEHawk52
Just checked into my flight tomorrow, and already seeing the bennys pile up. Upgraded on 1 of my segments and received a HOOU coupon for not being upgraded on my second.

Although it's a Wednesday flight, I'm positive I would not have been upgraded as FO.

Feelsgoodman^
i got HOOU coupons for paid FC with a CR2 leg that was too short for beverage service. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with them. Too bad they can't be used in the SC.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by puddinhead
i got HOOU coupons for paid FC with a CR2 leg that was too short for beverage service. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with them. Too bad they can't be used in the SC.
I've used them on flights in First to get a bag of the blueberry crunch mix to take with me. It's especially nice if it's the beginning of the workweek as it gives me something to throw in the rental car in case I'm stuck somewhere without lunch options.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by puddinhead
For every $25,000 in spend you get 10,000 MQM's. Be aware, things like interest and the annual card fee don't count.

The $25,000 also exempts you from the MQD requirements for all levels of FO - DM.
Unfortunately it's only up to $50K in spend. If you have $75K in spend you don't receive another 10K MQMs. I wish that was the case, would save me some mileage runs if I received 10K MQM's after every $25,000 in spend
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by DarthPax
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I became GM the other day. First flight as GM will be DTW-LHR. The only GM benefits that are useful for me in this case will be the SkyTeam Elite status for check-in and boarding plus the 100% mileage bonus.

I am an Amex Reserve member so already get the domestic lounges. Not far away from PM though. I will be MQD exempt by next month and should also reach the PM MQM threshold by then too. I am really after the domestic upgrades for regular travel and working towards DM for the GUCs to use with the family. I think I'll hit DM this year.

Despite the mixed feelings regarding Delta's changes, they are working for me. I'm not the kind of guy who wants to do MRs. I just want to get where I'm going and get back to my family as quickly and efficiently as possible. My flights are also dictated to some extent by customers and are often <2 weeks so I am often not paying bottom dollar.

I've also received very good customer service in general from Delta. A couple of weeks ago during the snowstorm at MSP, I was traveling with my wife and baby and our flight from GEG to MSP was cancelled. Our original tickets were EC. We were automatically rebooked in FC for the first flight and EC for the second. The MSP-DTW flight was a nightmare. delayed by over 3 hours and stuck on tarmac, but the captain was excellent and kept us informed. The crew were fine also.
On your return LHR/DTW trip, being gold will be a benefit since you will be able to get in the Skyteam lounge at LHR. The Am Ex card won't get you access at LHR, but being SP will. If you are travelling with your wife, IIRC you will be able to get your wife in with you at the Skyclub and at LHR being gold, unless your wife has an Am Ex Platinum it won't get her in after May 1 for free.

For that long of a flight I would also recommend sitting in EC and you discount is more as a gold than FO.

On the rare chance there are op ups, you will have a better chance as gold
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
some benefit, but ...

Originally Posted by AEHawk52
What can I expect to see as the most noticeable difference in the jump from FO to GM?
100% bonus miles
EC at booking
upgrades - well ...

My upgrade % this year -

DL as a PM 0/12. ZERO, ZIP, ZILCH, BUPKUS. (PHL/MSP/DTW/ATL/SLC/LAS). I was about 50% in 2013 as a DM. I will fly only enough DL for FO in 2015.

Now, on the other hand -

USAir as a CP 20/20. 100% up front. Usually get upgraded 3-5 days out. Most of my US flights are on A321s, which have 16 FC seats. No IFE, but that's what iPads are for. FC meals on US are better than (what I remember them as being) on DL. As a minus, US GAs in PHL are generally an unpleasant or even a downright nasty lot. For me, US on-time % better than DL.

All bets are off when the AA-US merger is fully implemented.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
I'm making GM this week

I recommend lightly sautéing and serve with a Bernaise sauce.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Congratulations and to the OP too. ^
Thank you!

Now trying to book a crazy a$$ trip to get a flight on a KLM MD-11 before they retire them. Fortunately the itinerary that works best for me also includes an AF A380, so that's two legs that tickle my av-geek fancy. Now scouring the forums for the rules on getting somewhat tolerable coach seats on the AF and KL legs. From what I remember it involves twitter, skype, and some sort of animal sacrifice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.