FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm making GM this week
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:50 am
mattp1987

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
I've had frontline agents tell me as an FO I could not check a 70lb bag on SEA-JFK, which is obviously a domestic flight that FO is entitled to a free 70lb bag. Even after I showed her the dl.dumb chart I was still denied the free 70lb bag. I paid the fee and later got it refunded, but it's stupid hassles like that as an FO I dealt with.
As a GM, suddenly with SkyPriority, frontline agents are willing to help me. I won't go into all the details, but Delta has treated me much better as a GM. I'm >50% for UG's when not traveling in/out of JFK, but as always, YMMV.
The SkyTeam partners won't always do a great job recognizing STE+ and according you the benefits (i.e. KLM didn't let me board with SKY until I showed them my GM card), but in general the advertised benefits of STE+ are nice when you get them.
These are the sort of things I've experienced too. It's hard to put my finger on them, but I just feel like agents' attitudes are different to GM+. I've had a lot more luck getting rules bent or having agents go out of their way to help me since making GM. Of course being polite helps too, but I tried to do that as an FO as well. Maybe I'm just more cordial when not boarding in the AmEx Zone 1.

International lounges are great too, although part of that is going away when we lose contract lounge access. I'd also be pretty upset if I was flying from London and got stuck flying out of T3 since only PM+ or business pax get access to Virgin's lounge there. Hopefully DL will re-think this move that shafts GMs. As a tip, if your status isn't showing up on your AF/KLM bookings, go to a check-in agent the next time you fly them and have them pull up your reservation and swipe your Delta card in their computer. The agent at the baggage counter at IAD did this last time I flew KLM and was able to immediately print a new BP showing my status and Sky Priority.

Last edited by mattp1987; Apr 15, 2014 at 4:34 pm