Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change return leg of award ticket after outbound leg flown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change return leg of award ticket after outbound leg flown?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bworrell
I have now changed the return leg several times within the 72 hours and without the admonishment that it's a one-time courtesy. I think the policy and training is stabilizing.
Just got admonished yet again for changing the return of an award flight for tomorrow. They still did it though.

Why can't delta just publish that it's allowed?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:48 am

Just got admonished yet again for changing the return of an award flight for tomorrow. They still did it though.

From latest SkyMiles rules...

"Changes to Award Travel

Changes to origin, destination, routing, date and time are permitted provided there are no changes to the mileage required for the new itinerary. For paper tickets, once travel has commenced, only date and time changes are permitted unless changes are processed at a Delta ticketing office. Changes to outbound Award Travel must be made 72 hours prior to the departure time of the currently-ticketed outbound flight. Changes to return Award Travel must be made at least 72 hours prior to the departure time of the currently-ticketed return flight."
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just wanted to confirm that it is still possible to change an award ticket after the outbound leg had been flown.

Is it possible to change the return for a higher mileage award and add the difference in miles?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Changes can be made. Howevet it's not allowed within 72 hrs of departure.

Clicked quote on wrong post, but answer is the same.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Changes can be made. Howevet it's not allowed within 72 hrs of departure.

Clicked quote on wrong post, but answer is the same.
Based on my recent experience, I would disagree. I was offered the opportunity to change flights (without changing origin or destination) on the day of travel by paying just the additional miles required. No one indicated that this would be some special exception.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Based on my recent experience, I would disagree. I was offered the opportunity to change flights (without changing origin or destination) on the day of travel by paying just the additional miles required. No one indicated that this would be some special exception.
Don't disagree some will do it. However technically the rule of 72 hrs still applies.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Looking for some clarification regarding the taxes and fees since the award ticket will have to be reissued. If I am flying ATL-MUC on Sept 17 with a booked return for BRU-ATL on Sept 28th (I paid ~$56 for the taxes and fees). I plan to fly to MUC on the 17th, then I will message DL to change my return to a different date and different airport. I am not going to get hit with that ~$150 Europe departure tax/fee that shows up when searching for a one-way award from Europe back to the US?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
For PM/DM account Need to fly SAV-ATL one way award 16k Skymiles R/T 15k Skymiles What happens if you fly outbound and cancel return on R/T? Do you get any miles refunded? Is it possible to book R/T and call prior to first flight to cancel return and get Skymiles refunded?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
For PM/DM account Need to fly SAV-ATL one way award 16k Skymiles R/T 15k Skymiles What happens if you fly outbound and cancel return on R/T? Do you get any miles refunded? Is it possible to book R/T and call prior to first flight to cancel return and get Skymiles refunded?
You are no longer meeting the fare terms for an RT booking. Why would they give you anything back? You are basically engaging in Throwaway Ticketing which is specifically prohibited in the CoC.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:42 pm

I never book RT awards. The only advantage of booking RT vs two one ways is for anyone with < PM status to make changes to both outbound and return with a single change fee.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
This is an old thread but I have the same question. Has anything changed? If no stay restrictions etc, then can I change the inbound leg of an award RT after outbound has been flown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.