Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change return leg of award ticket after outbound leg flown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

I know there is the 72-hour rule for changes to an award ticket prior to departure. After the departure portion is flown, is it possible to make changes to the return itinerary that is an award booking? Situation is a long trip with some weeks between departure and return, would like to change the return leg to a different day if things allow, but I won't know this until I've already completed the departure.

I know change fee & any skymiles difference will still apply. Wondering if a change can even be made in this situation. TYIA!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
I know there is the 72-hour rule for changes to an award ticket prior to departure. After the departure portion is flown, is it possible to make changes to the return itinerary that is an award booking? Situation is a long trip with some weeks between departure and return, would like to change the return leg to a different day if things allow, but I won't know this until I've already completed the departure.

I know change fee & any skymiles difference will still apply. Wondering if a change can even be made in this situation. TYIA!
Likely, you will be able to change the return, as long as it's not within 72 hours. You should be able to do it online, under the reservation, under "change".

I've been able to make changes to the return leg after flying outbound. Some of it is covered, here:

I imagine that the change fee will still apply (unless one has PM/DM status then the re-deposit is waived). I had to attend a funeral and needed to make multiple changes to various tickets, and the fees were waived, but I did have to provide hospice information.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The last iteration of the rule that I heard is once the outbound is flown, you can make changes to the return anytime - even within 72 hours of the return.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
Likely, you will be able to change the return, as long as it's not within 72 hours. You should be able to do it online, under the reservation, under "change".

I've been able to make changes to the return leg after flying outbound. Some of it is covered, here:

I imagine that the change fee will still apply (unless one has PM/DM status then the re-deposit is waived). I had to attend a funeral and needed to make multiple changes to various tickets, and the fees were waived, but I did have to provide hospice information.
Thanks for the info. When I try and experiment now to see if it would let me change, I keep getting an error message that it can't be done online (Message #7000). Apparently this is a bug that happens when you have a multi-city trip, which the return itinerary is. I can always call an agent and have them do it, I guess.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:45 am

Thanks for the info. When I try and experiment now to see if it would let me change, I keep getting an error message that it can't be done online (Message #7000). Apparently this is a bug that happens when you have a multi-city trip, which the return itinerary is. I can always call an agent and have them do it, I guess.
Have you departed, yet? It has to actually be after the departure, and not within 72 hours of the return. Then it should work.

Last edited by CabinCaptive; Dec 14, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CabinCaptive
Have you departed, yet? It has to actually be after the departure, and not withing 72 hours of the return. Then it should work.

Perfect, that's even better for my scheduling and when I will know whether the return needs to be changed.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
The 72 hour rule does not apply after the first leg of award travel has been flown. I have used this many times to change flights and save miles. The normal fees apply for gold and lower but is free for plat/diamond.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
AFAIK, the web site is messed up wrt changing award tickets, and almost always spits up the 7000 error.

You need a phone. Life sucks.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:04 pm

What if there's not award availability for the time/date you want to change to? Or what if you want to cancel the return leg altogether?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Nels
What if there's not award availability for the time/date you want to change to? Or what if you want to cancel the return leg altogether?
If there's no availability at the ticketed mileage level for the new date/time, you can't change to it without coughing up more miles. Cancelling the return gets you nothing back (other than taxes/fees for the return segments).
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by kss5555
The 72 hour rule does not apply after the first leg of award travel has been flown. I have used this many times to change flights and save miles. The normal fees apply for gold and lower but is free for plat/diamond.
I have not experienced this... in fact I've had the 72-hour rule enforced several times on the return. I wish they would be consistent!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 6:34 pm

I think the 72 hour rule is still enforced; one can make a change to the return after the outbound, as long as it is not within 72 hours. Within 72 hours of the initial departure, no changes to either can be made.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mtkeller
If there's no availability at the ticketed mileage level for the new date/time, you can't change to it without coughing up more miles. Cancelling the return gets you nothing back (other than taxes/fees for the return segments).
If the return isn't at low, you might be able to save miles by rebooking to a date with low availability and then cancelling the return or doing a no show.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by javabytes
The last iteration of the rule that I heard is once the outbound is flown, you can make changes to the return anytime - even within 72 hours of the return.
True, same experience!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
Originally Posted by dd1612
True, same experience!
This correct and the policy in place. If you find and agent that does not know this do the FT normal and hang up and call again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.