Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I've flown this route on Delta, Qantas, Air Canada (via YVR) and United in economy before.

Delta, Qantas (747, not 380) and Air Canada were all fine. I am 6'4" and 250lbs. I was glad to get off the plane, to be sure, but it was totally fine. I preferred Delta's seats to be honest, they seemed squishier. AC was a close second.

I did not care for United Economy but scored a complimentary E+ upgrade which was good one time and business another (which was actually REALLY good).

There's my experience.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by moxielady
A friend of mine wants me to go to Australia with her early next year. I just used a bunch of miles for a trip to Paris with my husband in October so I'm low on miles at the moment. I certainly cannot afford to purchase a business class ticket. But, I really, really, can't wrap my head around 15 hours in a coach seat, the entire time over the water no less, even an economy comfort coach seat. How bad is it?
I do JFK/LAX/SYD 6-8 times a year in coach. Virtually always AA/QF. Not bad, for me the key is sticking to the australian reds and sleeping 6-8h definitely helps. In-seat (discreet) stretching and leg / pelvis exercise definitely cuts down on the inevitable tailbone discomfort.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
A friend of mine wants me to go to Australia with her early next year. I just used a bunch of miles for a trip to Paris with my husband in October so I'm low on miles at the moment. I certainly cannot afford to purchase a business class ticket. But, I really, really, can't wrap my head around 15 hours in a coach seat, the entire time over the water no less, even an economy comfort coach seat. How bad is it?

Having completed the same trip on DL 777 Coach in January, it wasn't Dante's (nor Delta's) fourth level of hell; maybe third! LOL. Australia was incredible (MEL, SYD, CNS) so I say take the trip! It is LONG but I suggest you have a bunch of drinks at SC in LAX, make sure you have a window to lean against, stuff your carry-on with as many pillows as you can and make a nest, certain medications don't hurt either. DL fed us about every 4 hours or so. Once you get breakfast you are almost there!

With a nice strong tail wind, you get back to the US in 12 1/2 hrs! Enjoy!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by relberger
Not bad, for me the key is sticking to the australian reds and sleeping 6-8h definitely helps.
This is actually a reason to fly QF or VA metal. They both serve at-least-drinkable and often pretty good (Australian) wine in coach, with a label not to be ashamed of and a vintage. VA served a Brokenwood Shiraz on the flight I just got off of; that's actually a wine I serve in my house on occasion. (Far from my favourite Hunter Valley winery, but no complaints for an airplane.) DL serves undrinkable swill out of a box.

I do find the Delta seats to be better padded and slightly more comfortable than VA's seats. The differences between VA and DL metal are small enough so that price and schedule are usually more important factors for me, remembering that no lounge access in Australian international terminals or LAX T3 when in coach on VA metal as a DL elite.

+1 to someone else on the 9-across seating DL and VA both use on their 777s. I doubt any airline will update cabin designs with 9-across on 777s now, so we should "enjoy" it while it lasts.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I did DCA-ATL-LAX-SYD and SYD-LAX-ATL-DCA in March. the SYD-LAX and SYD-LAX segments were in regular economy given I was DL Gold at the time and didn't want to pay the fee for EC.

First of all, the flight is long, there is no way around it. On the positive side, Delta has a great in-flight entertainment system with a really wide variety of movies, tv shows, etc. On the LAX-SYD flight, the load factor was really low, so I had an empty middle seat next to me, which helped

On the downside, the seat is pretty uncomfortable, the meals were pretty bad, and the wine was undrinkable (and I am not a wine snob).

At the end of the day, it was definitely worth it to go to Australia! The IFE helped and being tired enough to be able to sleep for a few of the hours is helpful too. Also, agree with the suggestion to bring a couple of snacks, as the in-flight meals were pretty unpleasant. However, if price was close or equal (and I didn't need the DL miles), I would probably try another carrier (Qantas or Virgin)
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Thanks everyone! I guess the trick is to just keep your eye on the prize when it comes to the pain of the long flight. As far as the comment about the entire flight over water, not a fan of nothing but water; like the idea of an available place to land should we need to...

My friend has some UA miles and informs me that 60,000 miles and $600 can get you upgraded to business to SYD. Now I'm sure we'd have to be creative to actually find availability, but holy hell, what a difference from what you can do with Delta. I think I'm going to get a UA CC and fly a few flights on UA. What a deal!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
. However, if price was close or equal (and I didn't need the DL miles), I would probably try another carrier (Qantas or Virgin)
You do get DL miles with Virgin, including MQM, though until Sept 1st, no medallion bonus miles on VA.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
We do DL with Economy Comfort on our LAX-SYD flights, and that has been a family of 3 or just me with a 2- thru 5-year-old each flight (same kid just getting more entitled to upgrades and such). The EC seats will give us nominal comfort for the long flight but it IS as others say a very long flight. We try to sleep via Ambien or other aid (the parents, not the rugrat).

Sydney is our favorite city so for us the travel time in a flying cylinder is worth it.

I haven't had a chance to try the VA product though.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:54 pm

Oh one more thing DO NOT order a "toddler meal" out of SYD. They will bring something that you will think is "you lucky cus, you got a 'trio' of pudding." Then you will be informed by Delta's littlest Kryptonian Medallion member that is is NOT pudding but pureed adult food. The FAs were as stunned as we were.

If you are flying with a non-baby, get the kids meal but NOT the toddler one.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks everyone! I guess the trick is to just keep your eye on the prize when it comes to the pain of the long flight. As far as the comment about the entire flight over water, not a fan of nothing but water; like the idea of an available place to land should we need to...

My friend has some UA miles and informs me that 60,000 miles and $600 can get you upgraded to business to SYD. Now I'm sure we'd have to be creative to actually find availability, but holy hell, what a difference from what you can do with Delta. I think I'm going to get a UA CC and fly a few flights on UA. What a deal!
But is UA still flying the notorious, creaky 747s LAX-SYD? The ones that are constantly breaking down and getting canceled? There is a long thread somewhere around here on that. It's quite humorous, if it's not happening to you personally.

I did one of these 747s in 2008 for my Australia trip. I didn't realize at the time how lucky I was to actually get there. LAX-SYD I unexpectedly had an empty middle seat; SYD-LAX, they put me on an aisle in E+. So not bad, really. (I'm not all that picky; my legs are short.)
Old Jul 28, 2013, 3:15 am

It's of interest to note that LAX-SYD is being retimed to an 8:15PM departure this winter (Australian summer).
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by gustoj820
It's of interest to note that LAX-SYD is being retimed to an 8:15PM departure this winter (Australian summer).
Hopefully this is a seasonal move to accommodate the Daylight/Standard flip flop.

I want to do Vivid in June and we have two jumps to LAX before the whopper
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, BA, SQ, SPG, HH, Marriott, Hyatt Gold, Amex MM
Happy to have scored a reward seat in Business Class at the Low/Saver level for Feb 2014. 150,000 miles round trip LAX-SYD. Going down on DL 777 with the Lie-Flat, and had the option to return on DL or VA. I chose Virgin on the return because it had a later departure in the afternoon leaving Sydney, and I wanted to try out Virgin Australia for the first time (eventhough I will have a seat mate with VA's business configuration 2:3:2 vs. DL's 1:2:1)
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
I make this run (XXX-ATL/DTW-LAX-SYD-XXX & return) about 10 times a year, about every 4-6 weeks. I've made it in Econ, Econ Comfort, Premium Econ, & Business (both DL & VA); all I can really say is, 'you get used to it.'

I find the keys for me are relaxing in the LAX SC beforehand (as well as an In-N-Out run if there is time). And then knocking back a few in the SYD KIWI lounge beforehand. The Hot Dog cart ROCKS. ^

I don't mind the flights anymore; there are always bumps around the Equator, but when breakfast is served, you can know you're almost there soon. Sleeping is key both ways, as is showering upon arrival in both cities before connecting onward across these two similarly-sized continents.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
And then knocking back a few in the SYD KIWI lounge beforehand. The Hot Dog cart ROCKS.
Until we have to switch to the new SkyTeam lounge later this year. Doubtful that it's as good as the Air NZ lounge. The lounge at LHR is nice (only been there in the early AM) but not as good as some other non-SkyTeam lounges I've visited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.