Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to SYD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: DL Platinum, QF, VA, AA, UA, US, SQ, EK, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Fairmont
Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
Until we have to switch to the new SkyTeam lounge later this year. Doubtful that it's as good as the Air NZ lounge. The lounge at LHR is nice (only been there in the early AM) but not as good as some other non-SkyTeam lounges I've visited.
I really like the Kiwi lounge in Sydney -- to me it epitomizes what a good lounge ought to be. I always enjoy the breakfast buffet before I board the long SYD-LAX flight. I wonder if the new Skyteam lounge will match the same standards set by the Kiwi lounge. I read that the new Skyteam lounge is supposedly modeled after the Skyteam lounge in LHR. Haven't been in the Skyteam lounge in LHR. How does it compare vis-a-vis the Kiwi lounge at SYD?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jykt
I really like the Kiwi lounge in Sydney -- to me it epitomizes what a good lounge ought to be. I always enjoy the breakfast buffet before I board the long SYD-LAX flight. I wonder if the new Skyteam lounge will match the same standards set by the Kiwi lounge. I read that the new Skyteam lounge is supposedly modeled after the Skyteam lounge in LHR. Haven't been in the Skyteam lounge in LHR. How does it compare vis-a-vis the Kiwi lounge at SYD?
They're on par in my opinion. The Kiwi lounge in SYD is visually more appealing IMO but the food offerings are comparable, other than the fact that the LHR lounge doesn't have a hot dog cart!

My only complaint about the SkyTeam lounge is that vodka is the only liquor available before 11 AM. I prefer a rum and coke in the morning but the agents never budge on the vodka only before 11 rule.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by hotturnip
But is UA still flying the notorious, creaky 747s LAX-SYD? The ones that are constantly breaking down and getting canceled?

I did one of these 747s in 2008 for my Australia trip. I didn't realize at the time how lucky I was to actually get there.
Yes UA had more than average mechanical delays on this route a year or two ago, and maybe still does. Worth noting, but to say you are 'lucky to actually get there' is extreme hyperbole and not helpful.

I've personally flown on these planes ~15 times and never even had a delay more than 15 mins or so.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
[QUOTE=realjd;21175497]They're on par in my opinion. The Kiwi lounge in SYD is visually more appealing IMO but the food offerings are comparable, other than the fact that the LHR lounge doesn't have a hot dog cart!

Amen on the hotdog cart. One thing the LHR didn't have in May was reservation support which is what I probably appreciate the most in the Delta skyclubs.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Platinum, QF, VA, AA, UA, US, SQ, EK, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Fairmont
Originally Posted by realjd
They're on par in my opinion. The Kiwi lounge in SYD is visually more appealing IMO but the food offerings are comparable, other than the fact that the LHR lounge doesn't have a hot dog cart!

My only complaint about the SkyTeam lounge is that vodka is the only liquor available before 11 AM. I prefer a rum and coke in the morning but the agents never budge on the vodka only before 11 rule.
Thanks! I have one more SYD-LAX flight coming up and will enjoy the NZ lounge before the switchover to SkyTeam end of this year.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum
I've been doing the DL SFO-LAX-SYD trip twice a year for a while now - switched from the nonstop UA SFO-SYD.

I'm 6'5" and skinny, so i always go for EC or an exit row - and always an aisle seat so I can get up and stretch when I want. My tactic is always to stay up (coffee or red bull) until I would go to sleep in my destination's time zone (in this case Sydney). When i'm going back to SYD - I can't get into any lounges, so i usually have spare clothes + face wash so I can head to the bathroom and freshen up in the baggage area (bags always seem to take a while). That way I'm ready for the day ahead upon arrival.

While BE gives you more privacy / space / comfort, the biggest difference to me is the food. I'm a heavy sleeper, so when I pass out... I'm out. I've gotten into the habit of taking my own on board when flying EC - that way I can eat, sleep and work when I want making the whole flight an okay experience. Definitely cannot justify the price of a BE upgrade anymore.

On the way back, I always head to the Sky Club at LAX for a shower - about as refreshing as it gets after the long journey. If you're connecting after you pass through customs, it's 100% worth it + makes the final leg a breeze.

As for comparing it with UA - I haven't flown in the upgraded Business cabin on UA, but the economy comparison isn't really one at all: Delta wins hands down.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by zacaltman
My tactic is always to stay up (coffee or red bull) until I would go to sleep in my destination's time zone (in this case Sydney).
This is my tactic as well and I think it works really well. You'll sleep better if you wait (due to being more tired), and it helps with jet lag.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I would definitely stay away from UA on this route. I've taken them SFO-KIX, and that's a long flight without AVOD. I couldn't imagine an even longer flight without my own choice of video.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.