Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
I changed my address while I hit the FO MQM requirement (not MQD).
After the change, my status still shows I'll be a member (no medallion level) next year.
My status only shows up as gold "UNTIL" I hit the GM MQM requirement.
Not exactly sure whether you can do anything about this besides hitting DM .....
Not sure I understand. Are you talking about present status, or next year's ? Or both ?

What does "shows up as gold "UNTIL" I hit the GM MQM requirement" mean ?

If you left the country while not having achieved status yet (domestic rules), then I think either you wait 2016, when the DL computer checks your account and sees that you had 25k MQM in 2015 and MQD do not apply, or you hit 50k while a foreigner this year and the computer sees that you have achieved GM which should become effective immediately.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler45150

I was trying to find that. I only earned Silver while in the US and looking at my login screen it shows 0MQM to Gold and 8 Segments to gold. So even though I already have over 80,000MQM it is only showing to earn gold.

I changed my address while I hit the FO MQM requirement (not MQD).
After the change, my status still shows I'll be a member (no medallion level) next year.
My status only shows up as gold "UNTIL" I hit the GM MQM requirement.
Not exactly sure whether you can do anything about this besides hitting DM .....
Be patient. I changed address this year (work required me to move last year) and it took several months before the system fixed it.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: (Spire Ambassador)(Diamond-HH/Hyatt)(Plat MR, SPG, Delta)(National Exec/Hertz 5*)
Originally Posted by savekenny
Be patient. I changed address this year (work required me to move last year) and it took several months before the system fixed it.

Thanks for the heads up, I will give it some more time.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: (Spire Ambassador)(Diamond-HH/Hyatt)(Plat MR, SPG, Delta)(National Exec/Hertz 5*)
Originally Posted by thesaints
It is here, in the small print at the bottom
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-qualification-dollars.html

It shows "to earn Gold" because you are currently FO.
Did you complete your change of residence before hitting 50k MQM ?
At that point the MQD requirement should have grayed out and as soon as you get to 50k you would ascend to GM status for the rest of year and the next.

If instead you were already above 75k when the MQD counter disappeared, then the system is waiting for you to hit the next threshold (125k) and at that point you would become DM.

Going from FO to DM directly is probably a feat you should write about on FT

It is also possible that the IT system is to blame and you should be already in a higher status. I distinctly remember that when DL transitioned to the MQD requirement the system for at least a couple of months in the new year was confused by non-US residencies and awarded rollover MQM based on a "phantom" status which still considered MQD's.

I did read that, but the way I interpreted that was based on the status you currently carry (in my case silver) was based from the US. Now that my address is based in China it will be based on that country.

Before I switched I didn't have the spend in, so I had the Gold MQM requirement but still short approx $700 on ticket spend.

I hope it is an IT issue and will work itself out, it not I am going to kick myself in the butt because I knew about this months ago and could have switched before I hit 75K MQM.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gld, Marriott Gld
I did read that, but the way I interpreted that was based on the status you currently carry (in my case silver) was based from the US. Now that my address is based in China it will be based on that country.

Before I switched I didn't have the spend in, so I had the Gold MQM requirement but still short approx $700 on ticket spend.

I hope it is an IT issue and will work itself out, it not I am going to kick myself in the butt because I knew about this months ago and could have switched before I hit 75K MQM.
I am having a similar problem. I ended last year with 65k MQM. I switched my address when I moved in Nov. I submitted the request before I hit 50k but the request was not recognized until after I hit 50k. The MQD section was then grayed out. Then I earned another 15k MQM. I was fairly comfortable with the fact that I would have status this year.

On Jan 1, 15k rolled over but I had no status. I was just told by an agent that there is an unpublished rule that your address has to be international for the entire year for it to count. I know this can't be true. Anyway, I think it is pretty clear I deserve Gold status and that Delta would need to have been much more explicit (not just fine print) and a lot less contradictory (awarding roll over MQMs anyway) to have a leg to stand on here.

My main problem has been getting someone on the phone who is able to change my status. Any advice or comments?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jrap33
I am having a similar problem. I ended last year with 65k MQM. I switched my address when I moved in Nov. I submitted the request before I hit 50k but the request was not recognized until after I hit 50k. The MQD section was then grayed out. Then I earned another 15k MQM. I was fairly comfortable with the fact that I would have status this year.

On Jan 1, 15k rolled over but I had no status. I was just told by an agent that there is an unpublished rule that your address has to be international for the entire year for it to count. I know this can't be true. Anyway, I think it is pretty clear I deserve Gold status and that Delta would need to have been much more explicit (not just fine print) and a lot less contradictory (awarding roll over MQMs anyway) to have a leg to stand on here.

My main problem has been getting someone on the phone who is able to change my status. Any advice or comments?
The rule is that you must have your foreign address on file at the time you hit the MQM for a level. If at 50k you still had a US address then you still need MQD. You won't get status until the 75k MQM level since it was changed after the 50k MQM mark.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
I was going through the process for my wife and it looks like there's a way to do it online now when you put in a non-US address. It sends you to this form where you can upload the documentation: https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...ress/index.jsp

No more faxing! Huzzah!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lamprey
I was going through the process for my wife and it looks like there's a way to do it online now when you put in a non-US address. It sends you to this form where you can upload the documentation: https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...ress/index.jsp

No more faxing! Huzzah!
It's been there for at least two years. I used it when I made the change to my South African address in 2014.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Has anyone had success going from international to international? I don't have a lease or anything, but I have some mail -- mostly personal/frequent shopper card mail. I don't have anything like utilities in my name because it's a roommate situation.

Would delta still ask for the proof? I have French residency and my profile reflects that but I'm in Canada for the foreseeable future.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by berliner5000
Has anyone had success going from international to international? I don't have a lease or anything, but I have some mail -- mostly personal/frequent shopper card mail. I don't have anything like utilities in my name because it's a roommate situation.

Would delta still ask for the proof? I have French residency and my profile reflects that but I'm in Canada for the foreseeable future.
You can have more then one address on file. The only time they require documentation is when you go from US primary to out of country primary. Otherwise they don't have an issue.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

The big difference is US or non-US residency due to exception of MQD.
For the purposes of the Canadian and Hong Kong government I am a HK resident now. I kept my DL address as my Canadian address as there is no need to change it. My DD is living at my Toronto condo.

I have not received any snail mail correspondence from DL as there is no more physical status card and JWD and drink coupons are now online.

If your French address can still receive mail then I would not worry about changing it.

Last edited by tentseller; Oct 8, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

A photo of some Canadian mail notices and some proof of right to residence in Canada worked just fine for some people I know.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL, NW, AA, US, HH
To change address or not to change?

Hello:
I just recently came to know that I could have avoided the MQD requirement for the last 1.5 years had I changed my address. I moved to UAE and have been able to maintain my DL status for the past 2 years.
Here is the question: I have qualified for Platinum till Feb. 2018 under the MQM/MQD US rules. I will be based in UAE for the next couple of years. If I change my address now I can get MQD waiver, however, what would be the impact on
a) my status till Feb 2018
b) my status after Feb 2018 (basically what do I do in calendar year 2017 to maintain Plat)
Please provide some guidance on best course of action.
Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

It has no bearing on current status. Future status is what will matter. Change it now. If you wait you'll need to wait for the next MQM/MQS level to hit after the MQD removal before getting status. Thus if you rollover 25k in MQM if you've already changed address you'll already have FO. If you wait though and change after rollover, you'll need to wait till you hit 50k to earn any status.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I just moved my address overseas with legit proof of my address and it was accepted. I noticed however with 80,000MQM my status hasn't updated. When I called to ask I was told it would just take a few days to process (even though my account was updated being out of the country overnight. After calling again after 3 days I was told that they will not update it until hit Diamond at 125,000MQM since I updated my address in the middle of a tier requirement.

Has anyone else heard this?
Yes if you read the forum you'll see that your status won't change till you hit the next threshold. It's that or they'd just make you wait and earn with MQD until the next year. This way theyre allowing you to change to not needing MQDS during the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.