Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Interisland using miles? HNL-KOA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)

Although I've never (well, almost never) taken a flight on Delta, I have some Skypesos rolled over from NW and from an Amex card, so I thought I might use some up flying Interisland HNL-KOA....

But, it seems like it's not possible? I can see award travel availability using Hawaiian Miles (7,500 each way), or using United miles (5,000 miles each way) on the dates I want, but no availability with Delta miles.

If I call Delta, they will see some availability, but then when they try and book it they tell me it says "Itinerary not available using Sky Miles" - it appears that the res agent's system is telling them that a DELTA CODESHARE operated by HA has award availability, but then can't be booked when they put in my Skymiles #. I think the problem is the miles need to be used for a HA flight operated by HA not a codeshare? Or, is it just not possible to use miles for HA flights even though it shows as partner as interisland is in the award chart?

TIA!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by vrichard
Although I've never (well, almost never) taken a flight on Delta, I have some Skypesos rolled over from NW and from an Amex card, so I thought I might use some up flying Interisland HNL-KOA....

But, it seems like it's not possible? I can see award travel availability using Hawaiian Miles (7,500 each way), or using United miles (5,000 miles each way) on the dates I want, but no availability with Delta miles.

If I call Delta, they will see some availability, but then when they try and book it they tell me it says "Itinerary not available using Sky Miles" - it appears that the res agent's system is telling them that a DELTA CODESHARE operated by HA has award availability, but then can't be booked when they put in my Skymiles #. I think the problem is the miles need to be used for a HA flight operated by HA not a codeshare? Or, is it just not possible to use miles for HA flights even though it shows as partner as interisland is in the award chart?

TIA!
Perhaps not what you wanted to hear or indeed asked, but I consider use of Skymiles and even Skypesos to redeem on HA inter-islands flights as very poor value and use of miles.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Perhaps not what you wanted to hear or indeed asked, but I consider use of Skymiles and even Skypesos to redeem on HA inter-islands flights as very poor value and use of miles.
I understand - but if I could get any value from these Skypesos, I'd be happy... If I buy the lowest fare, I'm out $68.00. If I use miles, theoretically the low-level award is 5,000 + $2.50, so I'd be getting more than $.01/mile and I'm happy....
Although, if it can only be done via phone and if I have to pay a fee to book with an agent, well, that's a bit hard to swallow......

Actually, after talking to 3 different reservations and 1 at web support, I'm giving up for now. Each transfers me to the other, or says it can't be done, and if I lead them to where the Delta website says it can be done, I'm back to I have to talk to web support..........
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: DL, UA
Using miles for HA

I'm flying JFK-LAX-KOA-HNL-JFK in September and the most difficult part of this reservation by far was the KOA-HNL part of the trip. Back in February, I was booking for 2 of us, 2 different SkyMiles accounts, and i couldn't get us on the same flight using the web, and even when I did, it disappeared a few days later. I took 4 phone calls and a tweet to finally get us on a less than desirable flight time (7am) and yesterday HA cancelled that flight and moved us to a 6:13 flight. Just spend a good portion of last night on the phone with DL and they said that HA won't open the inventory right now, and to keep calling back. The problem is that I can't drop off my rental car at 4:30am. I came to FlyerTalk today to see if anyone had some advice, but my advise to you is to try twitter (@DeltaAssist) and keep calling. Good luck!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by adomatic
The problem is that I can't drop off my rental car at 4:30am.
Similar to other airports, last year at KOA I had no problem dropping off a car (Hertz) when the office isn't open. You just note the mileage and drop the keys/paperwork in an assigned slot. I've done this all over the world. You just need to call the rental company to confirm they can do this at KOA.

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Jul 25, 2012 at 11:23 am
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 am

I called the 800# and they said no drop off, but I will call the local number, thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:15 pm

Just called Alamo at KOA and they don't have a locked box/early drop off option but they said the check in process is quick at that hour and they would drive me back to the terminal. I asked if I could come earlier than 5 and they said depending on who's there, they might take me early. Sounds risky to me.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by adomatic
Just called Alamo at KOA and they don't have a locked box/early drop off option but they said the check in process is quick at that hour and they would drive me back to the terminal. I asked if I could come earlier than 5 and they said depending on who's there, they might take me early. Sounds risky to me.
It does sound a bit risky, as you would need a definite place to leave the keys, etc., otherwise what would you do with them? A ride to the terminal would be a plus though...IIRC at least Hertz was quite a bit of a walk to the terminal. But we had wheeled luggage and it's downhill towards the terminal building.

Might want to check out the Hawaii forum, see if anyone has posted anything on this there.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:29 pm

Sorry, i meant i could come earlier than 5:30, and depending on who's opening the location, they might take me early. Otherwise, i'm dropping the car off at 5:30 and then have to make a 6:13 flight. I guess i'll be calling DL often to switch that flight. I see that the 8:30 flight is $80, so i could just buy them. I wonder if DL will let me have an open jaw (i already have as stopover in LAX) and redeposit our mile.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
man also looking into using my delta miles for interisland trip...anyone tell me how to find the avail? use united or aa site to see which days are avail?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Look on delta.com by specific date (not flexible) and by schedule (not price). One way works best, then book as r/t or multi-city as needed.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Working in IRRES, I see alot of agent as stated above trying to sell the award inventory using the codeshare flight, which is not possible.

The res agents have to long-sell the actual HA flights in T-class for intra island flights.

Jwhuffman
Old Sep 8, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I used miles to book HNL-LIH-HNL last year and it was a major pain. I had to find partner award availability on EF and then call Delta a few times until I found an agent that knew how to push it through. There is a thread about it on here somewhere. As far as dropping a car off when they aren't open, I dropped off my car at National and noted the time and mileage and it wasn't an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.