Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I almost always demand $400+ for VDB....
I've never VDB before. thanks for correcting me.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
+1

Been hearing lots of concerning things pertaining to DL and the changes.

I will just continue to burn my perks and miles as I earn them.
Such as......
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I've never VDB before. thanks for correcting me.
None of your flights have been oversold?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Not saying they won't announce something tomorrow, or in the future, but the amount of energy and discussion in this thread--and all of the folks who were going to immediately burn all their miles--based on the rumor--I wonder if any actually did.

Now when the rumor comes to your town
It grows and grows, where it started no one knows
Some of your Flyer Talkers will invite it right in
Maybe it's a lie, even if it's a sin they'll repeat the rumor again

Close your eyes, hang down your head
Until the fog rolls away, let it roll away
Open up your arms and feel the good
'It's a comin', a brand new day

Big men lament, turn into dust
Maybe it was all in fun, didn't mean to ruin no one
Could there be someone, someone here among this crowd
Who's been accused, had his name so misused and his privacy refused?

It's a comin', a brand new day

Now all you vigilantes wanna make a move
Maybe they won't, you know I sure hope they don't
For whether this rumor proves true or false
You can forgive or you can regret but he will never ever forget

THE RUMOR--Compliments of The Band

Last edited by atl runner; Aug 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by atl runner
Not saying they won't announce something tomorrow, or in the future, but the amount of energy and discussion in this thread--and all of the folks who were going to immediately burn all their miles--based on the rumor--I wonder if any actually did.

Now when the rumor comes to your town
It grows and grows, where it started no one knows
Some of your Flyer Talkers will invite it right in
Maybe it's a lie, even if it's a sin they'll repeat the rumor again

'It's a comin', a brand new day

Big men lament, turn into dust
Maybe it was all in fun, didn't mean to ruin no one
Could there be someone, someone here among this crowd
Who's been accused, had his name so misused and his privacy refused?

Close your eyes, hang your head

Now all you vigilantes wanna make a move
Maybe they won't, you know I sure hope they don't
For whether this rumor proves true or false
You can forgive or you can regret but he will never ever forget

THE RUMOR--Compliments of The Band
+1. And if any of the alleged changes mentioned in this thread don't even occur for two years, whoever started this thread will swear they were first predicted here. And if none of these changes occur, I am sure that many here will swear that it was another FlyerTalk beat down of something bad that would have otherwise occurred. Humorous really. Meanwhile, burn those miles just in case. And quite frankly, most of us here are already flying the airline that suits our needs the best. We know where we have to fly most frequently, and we take the airline that will get us there in the fastest, most direct manner. We do care about price, and perhaps some other stuff. But as I have said before, one of my main routes is LAX-ATL. How many NON-STOP options do I have which have FF programs? Hmm. I am not the ONLY person here in that boat. And no one is building new boats nowadays, are they? So the next time someone here says they are going to take their toys and play elsewhere, kindly tell us which playground you are going to....the AA, UA or UsAir one. And besides, other than the abominable award calendar, I don't really have any complaints.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
... And quite frankly, most of us here are already flying the airline that suits our needs the best. We know where we have to fly most frequently, and we take the airline that will get us there in the fastest, most direct manner. We do care about price, and perhaps some other stuff....And besides, other than the abominable award calendar, I don't really have any complaints.
I guess that post deserves a +1.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:03 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Anyone see these recent job postings on Delta's website:
Program Manager - Skymiles International:
Requisition #: 148570
Atlanta, GA
Experienced professional to lead the program management and analysis of loyalty programs in creating greater value for Delta, the Brand and our customer base through quantitative analysis with a focus on international air and non-air partnerships. Manages key and strategic loyalty program partnerships by developing existing revenue base and garnering new business partners such as hotels and credit card associations. Presents results of analysis to senior management in a professional presentation which outlines clear objectives and recommendations. Extracts, queries and mines data to quantify decisions and support analysis and uses statistical models to support decisions. Acts as subject matter expert and represents Delta professionally and with integrity in meetings to negotiate contracts with leaders of other airlines or businesses. Requires outstanding analytical, managerial, and verbal/written communication skills.

Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business Analysis, E-Commerce, Advertising, Finance, Mathematics or Strategic Management required; MBA or Masters degree with emphasis in Marketing, Finance, or Business Strategy preferred. Five plus years or more experience in marketing, finance, business planning, statistics and forecasting and sales management is required. Must possess superior technical, quantitative/analytical, financial acumen, oral communication skills and outstanding presentation ability. Must have demonstrated leadership skills and have developed and mentored others. Experience with business planning and analysis software tools such as SAS, Hyperion/Brio, and web analytics tools is required. Known for integrity, intelligence and professional maturity. The position requires the ability to manage several responsibilities and demands a high degree of initiative and drive. Knowledge of Delta, the airline industry, loyalty programs and/or banking or credit card experience preferred. Travel internationally is expected and may be up to 25% of the time.

Senior Project Manager - Skymiles Program Strategy:

Requisition #: 148571
Atlanta, GA
The Senior Project Manager-SkyMiles will interact regularly with SkyMiles leadership and work collaboratively with Delta's commercial, operational and support organizations to achieve cross-divisional goals. They will work in a team environment to manage the development of new mileage accrual and redemption loyalty program strategies and initiatives to drive superior revenue performance and customer satisfaction. Identify and analyze business problems and recommend solutions to leadership. Develop models to analyze customer and financial data to identify areas for program improvement and recommend changes to leadership. Regularly preparing executive presentations and actively participating in meetings with SkyMiles leadership to facilitate strategic decisions. Project management and leadership is a large part of this role; developing highly effective cross-functional relationships with key division personnel and working cross divisionally to implement SkyMiles program changes. Representing Delta professionally and with integrity in meetings to negotiate program details. The position requires the ability to manage several projects simultaneously and demands a high degree of initiative and drive. Responsible for informal management and training of other team members. Position requires some travel. Candidate must practice safety conscious behaviors in all operational processes and procedures.

Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business Analysis, E-Commerce, Advertising, Finance, Mathematics or Strategic Management required. MBA or Masters degree with emphasis in Marketing, Finance, or Business Strategy preferred. Minimum five years experience in marketing, finance, business planning, statistics and forecasting and sales management required. Advanced knowledge of Delta, the airline industry, and / or loyalty programs is highly preferred. Must possess superior technical, quantitative/analytical, financial acumen, negotiation, and oral communication and presentation skills - must be able to articulate complex quantitative and strategic initiatives to varied audiences. Must have the proven ability to work well with diverse groups in a time sensitive and team environment with minimal supervision, be results oriented and capable of meeting or exceeding deadlines with attention to detail and follow through. Will possess strong business acumen, excellent cross-functional relationship building experience, and strong consensus building experience during times of uncertainty and solve problems. Must have demonstrated leadership skills and have the ability to develop and mentor others. Experience with business planning and analysis software tools such as SAS, Hyperion/Brio, and web analytics tools is required. Advanced computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are required. Must be performing satisfactorily in current position.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Compared to the earlier job postings that pretty definitively mentioned a new program, these postings seem fairly benign and sound like typical ongoing positions that are present at most airlines.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by LBJ
Compared to the earlier job postings that pretty definitively mentioned a new program, these postings seem fairly benign and sound like typical ongoing positions that are present at most airlines.
Perhaps, but only compared the previous job postings, which (if real) were a glaring mistake with regard to the amazingly unnecessary level of detail provided.

HOWEVER, when I see this posting, I believe it is verifyable and credible proof that SOME changes are coming SOMETIME in the near future (my position all along). First, it is for a PROJECT, not a long-term position. Second, it clearly describes intent to change both earning and redeeming structure and increase revenue.

Originally Posted by ryandc99
Senior Project Manager - Skymiles Program Strategy:

Requisition #: 148571
Atlanta, GA
The Senior Project Manager-SkyMiles will interact regularly with SkyMiles leadership and work collaboratively with Delta's commercial, operational and support organizations to achieve cross-divisional goals. They will work in a team environment to manage the development of new mileage accrual and redemption loyalty program strategies and initiatives to drive superior revenue performance and customer satisfaction.
Maybe the timing and details of this particular rumor are off, but we really all know that the game is going to continue to change in the airlines' favor, as it has been doing since frequent flyer programs were first offered.

ETA: I viewed the position on Delta's careers site myself (something I was never able to do with previous postings), but the posting is set to expire on 8/28/12 so if you want to confirm it for yourself then you best do so quickly! Also, it is interesting that this is one of the only postings with an expiration date (as opposed to being listed "until filled"), which makes me think they don't want to leave it out there long enough to fuel rumors.

Last edited by dcline414; Aug 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
This is the most in depth thread about nothing of substance that I've seen. Nothing drastic is likely to happen, and as long as it doesn't, I'll keep getting a superb return on my Delta miles and status.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by dcline414
Perhaps, but only compared the previous job postings, which (if real) were a glaring mistake with regard to the amazingly unnecessary level of detail provided.

HOWEVER, when I see this posting, I believe it is verifyable and credible proof that SOME changes are coming SOMETIME in the near future (my position all along). First, it is for a PROJECT, not a long-term position. Second, it clearly describes intent to change both earning and redeeming structure and increase revenue.

Maybe the timing and details of this particular rumor are off, but we really all know that the game is going to continue to change in the airlines' favor, as it has been doing since frequent flyer programs were first offered.
I have a friend who doesn't work for DL but for years his title for a permanent job has been Project Manager. I also have DL friends who were hired for part-time positions just to get in with the airline or because circumstances at the time, in certain positions, dictated limited full-time hiring. None of those jobs involved drastic changes to airline operations.

In other words, when over-analyzing a job description, YMMV.

While I haven't followed every point of this thread, I personally don't have a problem w a business that wants to reward its most profitable customers. In much of the consulting work I do, 'monetize' is something to strive for, not something to criticize.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
While I haven't followed every point of this thread, I personally don't have a problem w a business that wants to reward its most profitable customers. In much of the consulting work I do, 'monetize' is something to strive for, not something to criticize.
I agree completely.

However I do think that there are very real (though perhaps less significant than rumored) changes coming in the near future (i.e. the next year or two). Those who seek only to discredit or disregard a specific rumor are ignoring a larger trend that is very real.

While I'm not a "burn your SkyMiles" believer, I am strongly encouraging those I know who have banked over a million miles and have plenty of MQMs to use their miles whenever they find a good value. It is silly to bank a huge amount of a currency that is of ever-decreasing value, and which can be significantly devalued instantaneously with little to no notice.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
None of your flights have been oversold?
They have, but they have not ever picked me, even if I did volunteer.

Plus, the bulk of my flying was done on airlines that never over sell.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Aug 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Haha maybe I should apply for that sr. project manager role. I'm more on the technical/engineering project management side of things, but certainly have more than enough experience and knowledge of loyalty programs.

Too bad my background is engineering though and not MBA. The education requirements for those positions points heavily on a financial aspect which makes me think of the stereotypical bean-counter MBA making decisions.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
HOWEVER, when I see this posting, I believe it is verifyable and credible proof that SOME changes are coming SOMETIME in the near future (my position all along).
So SOME change will come SOMETIME? You really went out on a limb with that projection. Fact is, all FF programs change over time.

Don't know how long you have been flying but this hyperbole is simply not true. Sometimes FF programs get better, sometimes worse. Ex -- DL adding rollover was hardly an example of changing rules in favor of the airline.

Overall, FF programs have been getting worse over the past couple years. There are a few reasons -- DL went from #1 to #2, mergers mean fewer programs and less competition, and reduced capacity. Worse for FFers, this doesn't look to get better in the short run. Top tiers are still treated pretty well by the airlines but even they don't enjoy things like the level of UG's seen only a couple years ago.

The heyday for FF programs is behind us, at least for now, but you can be sure the remaining legacies will tweak their programs because there is still a little competition left in the industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.