Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by gooselee
I have not, but I've seen the true DYKWIA opposite twice over the years. Someone trying to check-in at the desk, being told they could not enter for whatever reason (IIRC one was a guy on a domestic F ticket, the other I didn't hear enough to figure out), then blowing their lid along the lines of "I paid $XX for this ticket" and just stomping into the club anyway. Sadly, the SC dragons in all these cases just yelled after them for a bit and then turned their attention to the next person.

I also had one other instance, just after the Amex changes, where the guy in front of me was pitching a fit after being told he'd have to pay the guest fee for what appeared to be his wife. He said something like nobody had told him about the change and he pays for this card so he can bring his wife in, and they were going in anyway, then just blew by the desk. The dragon typed a few more things before taking my BP - I have to imagine she was keying in his guest fee since she'd already swiped his card. ^
I have seen several DYKWIA incidents with the new Am Ex guesting changes. I have heard people complain and storm out of the clubs or expect the dragons to make a one time exception.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I have seen several DYKWIA incidents with the new Am Ex guesting changes. I have heard people complain and storm out of the clubs or expect the dragons to make a one time exception.
I've also seen subtle signs of relief on the dragons' faces when they ask if Mrs. Lee is my guest, and she says "Yes, but..." and holds up her own Amex.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Gold, American Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In January during IROPs I stood in line for almost an hour to enter a SC. All of the agents were trying to rebook people and refused to stop to do a quick credential check for those not needing rebooking help.
Even Non-IROPs; I have found this behavior in clubs like Tampa where there are only two people working the desk.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In January during IROPs I stood in line for almost an hour to enter a SC. All of the agents were trying to rebook people and refused to stop to do a quick credential check for those not needing rebooking help.
I know from your other posts that you are a pretty ethical person, but I don't see any issue here had you chosen to just do an end-run and go in.

Mike
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by tonypct
I agree. SC dragons in those circumstances should just pick up the phone and call the police. I would have absolutely no problem with that.
Even more entertaining would be the agent demoting them to an undesireable seat or canceling the passenger's reservation altogether.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Be on the lookout for Bubbles and Mr. DYKWIA

Please forgive typos. I wrote this on my phone in the plane and I am medicated.

I had a pretty miserable trip this week in Hawaii. I know that sounds horrible, but even in paradise one can get sick.

After only one day, I had a bit of a medical emergency that landed me in the ER. Nothing life-threatening, but made it impossible for me to stay in the aloha state.

Delta did a great job of getting me out on the red-eye that same evening.

Our flight was scheduled to depart at 10:00. Well, by 2pm it had been pushed back to 11:30pm, then midnight, then finally 1:50am. So, a full flight of passengers was waiting for many hours.

Delta brought out sandwiches; trail mix, coffee, etc.

The mood was mainly that of tired vacationers.

Finally the plane arrived and sleepy people began to gather around the gate area.

As the gate agent began to get all the different people seat assignments (due to the four hour delay and lots of questions from non-regular trackers) a man came up to the gate. From now on I will refer to him as Mr. DYKWIA. Mr. DYKWIA cut to the front of the line to ask if he and his entire family got their upgrade to first class. It looked like three of them had first class tickets and two of them were on the upgrade list.

GA #1 Very politely told him that she was working on it and would let him know when the time came.

Mr. DYKWIA: My name is Mr. DYKWIA. Could you check and see if all of us will get an upgrade?

GA #1: We will begin processing the upgrades later sir. I will announce when the upgrades have cleared.

Mr. DYKWIA: Scowl

Mr. DYKWIA walks away an unhappy camper. He is traveling with two kids-aged 6-10 years old, his wife and mother.

He then loudly (so that everyone can hear) announces to one of his kids...

"if we don't get the upgrades, you will have to sit in coach."

The kid is about 10 years old and starts crying and throwing a full-blown tantrum.

He then yells at the kid, "hey that's the way it is, this isn't the Navy."

Whatever that means..

Now the crying kid has gone into meltdown mode. He is crying and is so upset that he has begun to blow snot bubbles as he whimpers, "I (breath, breath, breath)...hate.. (Breath, breath, breath)..coach."

From now on I'll just refer to him as Bubbles.

So, Mr. DYKWIA is now really upset and drags Bubbles to the gate agent, glares at her, and then points to Bubbles.

(No S{*{t, he brings his entitled Bubbles to the front of the line so the GA could see what she was doing to his family.)

The, oh so nice, gate agent, asked him again: May I help you sir?
Mr. DYKWIA barks: the least you could do is give my son a water.

Let me set the scene, there are maybe 30 people waiting to check bags, 10 trying to change tickets, three families trying to move seats so that they can sit together. We have been sitting in a humid airport for at least four hours. And Bubbles needs a water.

GA #1 is a pro and handed Bubbles a bottle of water.

I was hoping she would also hand him a Kleenex.

No luck.

Mr. DYKWIA still just stands there glaring at The GA while Bubbles was recreating a scene from the Lawrence Welk Show.

Finally the gate agent started to clear the upgrades. Loved it when I heard my name called. This made Mr. DYKWIA very unhappy. I saw a vein in his forehead begin to throb. He looked at me like he wanted to kill me. I just smiled and sat down to see what would happen next… and take notes.

I was tempted to say something under my breath like: "wow an upgrade for a silver medallion-I never get upgraded"

But, I am actually not that mean (to people's faces) and I was worried he would sic Bubbles on me.

As I sat down, he got to his breaking point. He walked over to the second gate agent and asks to see a Red Coat.

Well, I have only been to Hawaii a couple of times, but I have not seen an actual "Red" coat. I am sure there is someone who plays that role, just not sure if they actually wear a red coat. All of the gate agents seem to wear Hawaiian shirts.

GA#2: How may I help you sir?

Mr. DYKWIA : I want to know when my upgrades will clear.

GA#1: (starting to get a little tired of this guy, but still pleasant) I will clear them as soon as possible. Two people have checked in but are not responding to the page.

Mr. DYKWIA: Well I need to know now.

GA#1: Sorry sir, I'll let you know as soon as possible.

We then started boarding first class and I didn't get to see Mr. DYKWIA’s final interactions with the GA.

I don't think it went well.

Mr. DYKWIA's wife, mother and one kid got the upgrade. Mr. DYKWIA and Bubbles were in coach.

That said, they were standing around first class and the flight attendant had to ask them to return to their seats when we began to take off.

Bubbles was not happy.

On a good note, someone had given Bubbles a Kleenex!

They are still flying today. If you see them, send my regards, keep your distance, and take notes.

Sent from my iPhone
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mikeef
I know from your other posts that you are a pretty ethical person, but I don't see any issue here had you chosen to just do an end-run and go in.

Mike
Thanks.

I saw some other people try to avoid the line and just flash their credentials, but the otherwise excellent lead dragon was not permitting it. I didn't try, but I was tempted to leave my bags in the line and duck in to use the lavatory and grab an adult beverage to ease the pain while continuing to stand in line.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Esltroy
Please forgive typos. I wrote this on my phone in the plane and I am medicated.

Sent from my iPhone

Best DYKWIA story in a long time! Impressive you could type this out on your phone.

Sorry to hear about your trip and hope you're feeling better soon.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK

Best DYKWIA story in a long time! Impressive you could type this out on your phone.

+1

Esltroy, that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing. ^
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Witnessed a DYKWIA by someone today at the LGA C SC.

Guy in front of me using a Delta Reserve AmEx and was upset when the agent said there was a $58 charge for him and his daughter (who had to be 3 or 3 1/2). He started complaining and said he was always able to bring in his family in the past for free and the agent said that effective 5/1 you had to pay for all guests with the am ex card and he complained that it was absurd that a child had to pay. Agent said anyone over 2 had to pay and he said his daughter wasn't two yet and he paid the $29.

Mr and Mrs DWKWIA are unimpressed with the offerings and Mrs complained they paid $29 for that. He goes to the bar and orders a glass of wine for the Mrs and a screwdriver for himself and then asks for yogurt. The bartender said it's only available at breakfast and he starts complaining he wants it for his daughter. The bartender did go back and came out and said he didn't have access to the yogurt and he couldn't help him out

DYKWIA starts complaining there are no kid friendly snacks and he should be able to get yogurt for his daughter since they paid $29 to get in the club. I felt like telling him he needed to go back up and give the dragon another $29 because I was behind him when he checked in and he only paid for his wife
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
DYKWIA starts complaining there are no kid friendly snacks and he should be able to get yogurt for his daughter since they paid $29 to get in the club. I felt like telling him he needed to go back up and give the dragon another $29 because I was behind him when he checked in and he only paid for his wife
"Sir, I think the yogurt is only for paying customers. At breakfast."
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
... great story, including...

But, I am actually not that mean (to people's faces) and I was worried he would sic Bubbles on me.

Sent from my iPhone
I chortled and wine came out through my nose, better than snot I suppose (hi Bubbles!). I hope you have recovered from your Hawaiian adventures.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SusanDK

+2

Get well soon!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold

From now on I'll just refer to him as Bubbles.
...Tiny Bubbles......Don Ho, isn't that fitting for a flight from Hawaii
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Esltroy, hope you're feeling better and thank you for the fantastic DYKWIA story. I like to call these kind of people "center of the universe" people.

I may have even said out loud (enough for them to hear) "now I know where the center of the universe is" a few times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.