Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: DL PM
I got GM for the first time in Dec 2012, then PM toward the middle of last year and never once got precheck, despite checking and rechecking and calling about my name in my profile. I thought it was just me.

Finally paid the $85 when this option became available and have been 100% since.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
If this were only true......

@MCO EVERYONE gets PRE, including wheelchairs. ... I miss the days of pay to play.
Ain't it the truth....departed MCO a few days ago and they were funneling folks into the pre line, after the BP check station.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
If this were only true......

@MCO EVERYONE gets PRE, including wheelchairs. ... I miss the days of pay to play.
+1 I wish they would only give precheck to people that are part of a TT program. At the DTW level checkpoint there is a sign stating that people over 70 and children under a certain age are welcome to use the precheck lane.

It's unfair to the people who have paid to get stuck in line behind people who haven't paid and are clueless holding up the lane. And TSA could get more $ as well, most frequent flyers would be willing to pay what amounts to less than $20 a year for a shorter line. Everyone wins, the people paying for a TTN will have shorter, more efficient lines and TSA would end up with more $.

Getting precheck TTN is easy. I think it was $95 for five years and I was able to go to a CDL licensing place by my office on my lunch to get fingerprinted. And there are only a few offenses that will prevent you from getting the precheck TTN issued, and IMO if you have been found guilty of those offenses you should be on the do not fly list anyway.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
My kids (9 and 6) and I just flew from STR to CHO, they both got PreCheck, I didn't, I'm enrolled in Global Entry. The TSA agent told me that the airlines decide who gets PreChecked on any given flight and that minors always do. Can anyone confirm that?

Doesn't really make sense to me, I think she was deflecting me because she thought I'd get upset.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
I routinely had TSA PreCheck until a Delta agent decided that my suffix (III) needed to be on my Delta SkyMiles Account last year. The secure flight data does not allow you to put a suffix (even though the field is there).

Delta insists that even though the website says that the names must match exactly that the suffixes don't matter. They aren't willing to remove the suffix from my SkyMiles account (and yes, I've hung up and called again half a dozen times). They will remove it for specific flights, but not for my actual account.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Three words on GE: Totally.Worth.It.
Except NEXUS is even better: half the price and more benefits (including GE).
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by sethb
^ +1 yup.

My current streak is different. Four random Security screens (hand wipe) pings after the metal Detector in a row and in different airports. Over a ten day period, RDU, PIT, RDU again, and DFW. will it be Five, we'll see how DEN goes this Friday.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I thought about getting Nexus since I am so close to the Canada border. But doesn't it require an interview on the US side and then a second interview on the Canada side?

And doing Saturday day trips to Canada is looks like the nexus lanes are sometimes closed on Saturday and not open 24/7
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought about getting Nexus since I am so close to the Canada border. But doesn't it require an interview on the US side and then a second interview on the Canada side?

And doing Saturday day trips to Canada is looks like the nexus lanes are sometimes closed on Saturday and not open 24/7
I believe you can do everything for Nexus in Seattle.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
I believe you can do everything for Nexus in Seattle.
You can do both at most international crossings or a Canadian airport with US Customs. After the initial paperwork is approved, you have to apply for a date and location. The actual interview process took less than one hour total (I did mine in Calgary) and within 4 weeks (if approved) you get the card.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
You get all the US benefits (including GE) after the US-side interview. The only thing you (might) need CA-side for is the iris photo. (That might happen as part of the US-side interview now, possibly depending on just where. But waiting a year or two for the CA-side doesn't hurt anything except your ability to use the NEXUS iris scan machines to get into CA (or the US, but you can use GE from Canada).)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ChuckieB
My kids (9 and 6) and I just flew from STR to CHO, they both got PreCheck, I didn't, I'm enrolled in Global Entry. The TSA agent told me that the airlines decide who gets PreChecked on any given flight and that minors always do. Can anyone confirm that?

Doesn't really make sense to me, I think she was deflecting me because she thought I'd get upset.
Halftruth from the TSO. I'm shocked the agent got the age part correct. They are good at just making stuff up to placate you

Correct: 12 and under is automatic pre-check

Incorrect: Airline has no say when you get pre and when you don't when using your trusted traveler info. Most likely reason is data mismatch on your reservation's secure flight data to what is on file with CBP under Global Entry.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Went on FT to see if there were any recent experiences like mine and it looks like there is. I've never signed up for GE, Nexus, TSA, etc but I was pretty much 100% Precheck just on the strengths of my airline status. But 5 of my last 6 legs I haven't gotten Pre-Check. It was fun while it lasted.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
CLEAR is even better. As they carry your stuff through security for you, you ask the people in line as you go by...

DYKWIA?

DYKWIA??
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I get GE for free. ^

O/H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.