Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Function on the DL App -- Possible Improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Function on the DL App -- Possible Improvements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up Baggage Function on the DL App -- Possible Improvements

To stimulate discussion. Yes, we are all aware of the deficiencies of DL's IT department. So let's take that as a given and keep this thread focused.

1. Rolling out the baggage function to the Blackberry app. Yes, I know this is supposed to happen. But if you have it programmed for one app, is it that hard to roll out on another? If someone is fluent in both, isn't it a simple matter of translation?

2. Mining bag tag numbers from your PNR. Any good reason we need to manually enter bag tag numbers? The app knows your seat number (and other things) from your PNR. Why does it not know your bag's/bags' "seat number(s)" (i.e., the tag number(s))? Yes, the app stores recent searches, but only 3 tag numbers. A family of 4 will likely have more than 3 bags.

3. Notifications. Other parts of the app and DL.com send notifications. Why must we "pull" information? Wouldn't it be nice if the app "pushed" any of the following as a notification or email: (a) "Bag number [number] is being delivered now ([time] local airport time) to [carousel location] at [airport code]." Much nicer hanging back and watching the smarthphone/app, than jockeying for position where the chute meets the carousel. (b) "Bag number [number] misconnected and has been rerouted on [flight info]. Please contact Delta at [email/phone/etc] for further information.

Thoughts? Unrealistic?
Other ideas?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerwma
2. Mining bag tag numbers from your PNR. Any good reason we need to manually enter bag tag numbers? The app knows your seat number (and other things) from your PNR. Why does it not know your bag's/bags' "seat number(s)" (i.e., the tag number(s))? Yes, the app stores recent searches, but only 3 tag numbers. A family of 4 will likely have more than 3 bags.
This is the one that I think is most important, and most seriously lacking. It seems extremely odd that this wasn't implemented before the feature launched.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
At the risk of getting torched, I must say I have trouble seeing this bag tracking feature as a real value-add.

I EXPECT my bags to fly with me... and the amount of time between deplaning the aircraft and the arrival of bags at the carousel are generally consistent from one trip to the next. I get off the aircraft, swing by the loo to freshen up a smidge, then stroll to baggage claim to gather my bag.

I just find it hard for me to see the point of this feature.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM / DM, Avis First, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Gold
The peace of mind is what I like. For instance, I checked in late last week. Once inflight, I could check the app and see my bags were scanned plane side at departure. I knew I had a good chance they were on the a/c. The bane of the high volume flyer is a lack if information to make good decisions. I see this as just another part of my situational awareness. Count me a fan.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta FO, United Silver, National Executive, HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by scm53
The peace of mind is what I like. For instance, I checked in late last week. Once inflight, I could check the app and see my bags were scanned plane side at departure. I knew I had a good chance they were on the a/c. The bane of the high volume flyer is a lack if information to make good decisions. I see this as just another part of my situational awareness. Count me a fan.
I get this, but I'm not sure I understand this part of your comment:
"The bane of the high volume flyer is a lack if information to make good decisions."

Presuming you are in-flight and the iPhone app shows that your checked bags are on their way to Beaffra... while your seat has you enroute to (somewhere-else). How does this data point make for a better decision???

Other than having advanced knowledge that you will be arriving at your destination ahead of your pearls?... what's the decision?..
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
My issue with the bag tracker is the limited information provided and the speed at which the app is updated. It typically only provides dropoff scan and plane side scan. I've also seen it not update until after my flight has already taken off. If I'm sitting on the plane, this is not that reassuring for me, if prior to take off I'm trying to figure out in real time if my bag made it on board. However, on the upside, I do like the fact that you can scan the barcode on the bag claim check rather than having to type in the number. I've been doing this lately rather than worrying that I'm gonna lose the stupid bag claim ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:48 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta Air Lines
Some good questions, here are the answers I can provide.

1. Rolling out the baggage function to the Blackberry app. Yes, I know this is supposed to happen. But if you have it programmed for one app, is it that hard to roll out on another? If someone is fluent in both, isn't it a simple matter of translation?
The Blackberry team is working on getting this update out on that platform. But to answer your question, most often times you don't run into cross platform fluencies. You'll run into people that know how to work under more than one platform but more often than not they'll really just have expertise in one and just working knowledge on another.

I see what you're saying about "linking" bag tags to a particular PNR, I'm not sure what sort of enhancements are in the works for tracking bags.

And the recent searches on the applications should store for both bag tag (single bag) as well as file reference number (multiple bag tags).

3. Notifications. Other parts of the app and DL.com send notifications. Why must we "pull" information? Wouldn't it be nice if the app "pushed" any of the following as a notification or email: (a) "Bag number [number] is being delivered now ([time] local airport time) to [carousel location] at [airport code]." Much nicer hanging back and watching the smarthphone/app, than jockeying for position where the chute meets the carousel. (b) "Bag number [number] misconnected and has been rerouted on [flight info]. Please contact Delta at [email/phone/etc] for further information.
We're always looking at how to update what notifications we send out.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50
My issue with the bag tracker is the limited information provided and the speed at which the app is updated....
+1

If you are obsessing about your checked bag so much that you need to check on it in flight... perhaps you should have carried it on-board.

Then, again... ... ...
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by bartendress
At the risk of getting torched, I must say I have trouble seeing this bag tracking feature as a real value-add.

I EXPECT my bags to fly with me... and the amount of time between deplaning the aircraft and the arrival of bags at the carousel are generally consistent from one trip to the next. I get off the aircraft, swing by the loo to freshen up a smidge, then stroll to baggage claim to gather my bag.

I just find it hard for me to see the point of this feature.
Because I can be doing other things with my time waiting 30 minutes at PDX for the bag salad spinner to get started, then waiting another 15 minutes while every bag except mine comes out.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by pragakhan
Because I can be doing other things with my time waiting 30 minutes at PDX for the bag salad spinner to get started, then waiting another 15 minutes while every bag except mine comes out.
this.

If I have to stand around and wait for 20 minutes not knowing, I'm wasting time. I would rather have a known 30 minute wait, than an unknown 17 minute wait, I can get a lot done in 30 minutes.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by jsmith50
My issue with the bag tracker is the limited information provided and the speed at which the app is updated. It typically only provides dropoff scan and plane side scan. I've also seen it not update until after my flight has already taken off. If I'm sitting on the plane, this is not that reassuring for me, if prior to take off I'm trying to figure out in real time if my bag made it on board. However, on the upside, I do like the fact that you can scan the barcode on the bag claim check rather than having to type in the number. I've been doing this lately rather than worrying that I'm gonna lose the stupid bag claim ticket.
exactly. if they would indicate the bags made it to the destination instead of just being plane-side, it would be a lot more reassuring.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta 1MM / DM, Avis First, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by bartendress
Other than having advanced knowledge that you will be arriving at your destination ahead of your pearls?... what's the decision?..
1. If you bags are not on the flight to your final destination, then you don't have to sit around waiting for every single bag to come up to know that. You can head to baggage service now and start the paperwork.

2. If you bags are now headed to someplace else, you know that. If they are still at the hub and can conceivably be on the next departure, you know that. If they never left you origination, you know that. You can have some idea of how long you will be without your bags - plan your day accordingly to be back at the a/p and pick them up vice them being given over to the "we get there when we feel like it" delivery service.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Danny_DeltaeCommerce
And the recent searches on the applications should store for both bag tag (single bag) as well as file reference number (multiple bag tags).
Thanks for your answers, Danny. What is a file reference number, and how do passengers use it to track multiple bag tags. (The bag tag number is on the receipt, but where is the "file reference number"?) My guess was that the "file reference number" was what you got from baggage services when your bag was lost/misconnected/rerouted/etc. But if you are saying that there is a different function -- to track a group of bags -- that function isn't made well-known to the passengers.

Separately, any other possible improvements?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks Danny for the update.

I too would love to see the bag app for my berry. As much as I hate it (the berry), it isn't going away anytime soon. Knowing where my missing bag is goes a long way to knowing how to plan my day around the MIA bag.

The DL app for the blackberry right now is just too weak for usage on a regular basis. Making the features similar across all platforms is the way to go.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by scm53
1. If you bags are not on the flight to your final destination, then you don't have to sit around waiting for every single bag to come up to know that. You can head to baggage service now and start the paperwork.

2. If you bags are now headed to someplace else, you know that. If they are still at the hub and can conceivably be on the next departure, you know that. If they never left you origination, you know that. You can have some idea of how long you will be without your bags - plan your day accordingly to be back at the a/p and pick them up vice them being given over to the "we get there when we feel like it" delivery service.
I gotta agree with both of these. I am in the middle of a complex itinerary (my plans changed so I have two separate tix but my bag is checked all the way through) and the updates aren't working, at least for me today. It just says that no info is available and to call the 1-800 number. :-(

As for the other posters that indicated that pax should carry their bags on board, this is not always an option due to size/weight/contents. I'm glad that option works for some people, but it is absurd to assume that it would work for every pax in every situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.