Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Am Leaving Delta Air Lines. Goodbye! Bye Bye! Farewell!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2000, 10:53 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"...of which there are many..."

Yes, I remeber Piedmont for one!
Old Oct 12, 2000, 12:10 pm

Originally posted by RRWhite:
Uh, Joe, forgive me, but if you're platinum on DL, why do you care about the change in SWUs? The new Platinum upgrades are far better than the old ones in that you can use them for a traveling companion (like the wife). I've never used a SWU (of course, I don't travel int'l all that much).
I'm only going to make Silver or MAYBE Gold this year. That's why this is such bad timing for me. I've switched over to AirTran domestically and Delta / United internationally.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 12:34 pm
dg1

You've got bad experiences with USAirways that have soured you for life. That's understandble since I have bad experiences with United that have soured me for life. They may have gotten better (doesn't look like it to me!) but they'll never convince me.

I do have a choice -- I used to fly all the time to JUST DC and Chicago which I can get on United non-stop -- why I started with them. They stunk, so I was just LUCKY to be living in a city where the hub is my airline of choice. If the merger makes PIT a United hub I won't fly them.

Every airline changes through time and calling it Allegheny is just juvenile. I'll admit that USAirways is somewhere in between an overgrown regional airline to a small major airline, but at least on the East Coast USAirways has as good if not better coverage and policies than Delta.

You international jetsetters have to realize that not everyone likes or has to fly on eight hour flights -- some of us are flying 1-2 hours but doing it every other day. USAirways fits that market in the East Coast with frequency, frequency, frequency.

Old Oct 12, 2000, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Welcome Beckles !

(even though this belongs in the US forum, the question was asked here - so ...) As for upgrading out of Charlotte, as a Silver - it was hit or miss (probably 85% success rate). As a GP, I'm at 100% (knock on wood) for upgrades. Of course, it helps to be on a 757, 767, or a 320 to ensure the upgrades. Of course if it weren't for those pesky CPs ... You'll also like the fact that since a good chunk of passengers merely connect through here, the Preferred line is never terribly long (be wary of mornings after summer thunderstorm induced cancellations though).

Now hfly - play nice. Yes, US isn't the biggest around, but it does treat its elites well, and if the merger goes through, we'll miss it. Hope Delta changes their new policies - DL's elites deserve better.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CLT, thanks for the sentiment!

Everyone else, I never realised that USAIR (see I migrated a generation in name)flyers spent so much time on the Delta board!

Beckles, I hope that we get this thing reversed, and that you and the others come home. IF not, I too will be leaving the roost in late 2001, early 2002.
Old Oct 12, 2000, 9:09 pm

Beckles...I never thought you'd forsake DL, but I agree with your stand.

Sorry I didn't know you were in CLT. I was just there for 4 days earlier this week. Went to the Panthers-Seahawks game on Sunday, and had some free time later in the week. I'll try to catch up with you next time through...please say hi to Nancy.
Old Oct 13, 2000, 9:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Howdy Beckles! I must say that I am surprised. However, I do understand. I abandoned DL shortly after their announcement of the "new and improved" upgrade policy for 2001. So this PM/MM will just be a SM/MM for life (with no upgrades). I would have switched to US (They were my second choice when they used to fly to AUS) but ended up with CO, still a better choice than DL!
Old Oct 14, 2000, 8:24 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Add me to the surprised list too. Looks like Delta has managed to annoy their biggest supporter.
Old Oct 14, 2000, 10:03 am

HFLY: You should be happier. Your upgrades, no matter how stingy, are at least ONE person easier!
Old Oct 14, 2000, 11:12 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
svpii said,

"For all the grumbling, USAIR has been very good to me and it just doesn't make sense out of CLT to try to maintain elite on anyone else."

Unless of course US air doesn't fly anywhere in the middle or western 2/3rds of the country except as a transcon. 3 eastcoast hubs NOTHING in the middle or west.
Old Oct 14, 2000, 11:30 am

Does CO have any hubs out west?? When flying LAX to Seattle or Boise to SF, Houston is just about as useful a connecting point as Charlotte.
Old Oct 14, 2000, 11:59 am

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Excellent point! I always had this problem until about two years ago when the alliances came about. I Have NW for the northwest (obviously),HP (for tons of north south western routes), and AK (for the kind of routes you describe). I used to need 5 different airlines to get to all my clients (thus no elite status too spread out).
US has a sort-of partnership with AA. However they really are like buyin seperate tickets they only combine miles. With CO I can open jaw with code shares and pay much less. Since this is the delta forum... enough on this.
Old Dec 13, 2000, 8:04 pm

Well, I finally did it....goodbye DL!

I finally made the decision to LEAVE Delta due to this entire upgrade fiasco. My letter to Leo will go out tomorrow. Although I will miss DL (old habits are hard to break), leaving feels a bit liberating! Hehehe!

Why did I leave? Basically because of the L and U class upgrade restrictions. I don't do that much int'l travel on DL (49,000 int'l miles on UA last year though) so the SWUs don't mean too much to me. Mileage accumulation isn't important to me either. But, in the entire time I was Silver Medallion (I'm now Gold) I was able to upgrade exactly 2 (TWO!!!) flights. I have more segment upgrades than I will ever use... because I can never use them! I'll keep them on the rare occasion that I am forced to fly DL again.

Living in ATL, it will take a while to get used to the limited number of non-stop flights on UA, but I'll just get real familiar with ORD and IAD. Besides, I should be kicking myself... if I had flown exclusively on UA this year, I would be 1K. Oh well, maybe next year.

It's a shame that Ron Allen and Leo Mullin have destroyed a great airline. I used to work at Delta, so I know first hand that the customer is the LAST thing on any DL executive's mind.

Lots of people on this board have threatened to leave DL. Is anyone actually going to do it? Prehaps those of us who are leaving can pop back over to this board from time to time to let everyone else know how life is going without DL!
Old Dec 13, 2000, 8:25 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I have left for domestic travel already. It has not been hard at all. In fact, I am relly enjoying South West. Never thought I would. I did fly DL two days ago as the fare was cheaper and it was SNA, which WN does not fly to. The DL flight, 1111, had 90 open seats in coach (where I was on a U ticket) and first was full with little leg room if any. Not that I had any room in the cattle section. There is more room on SouthWest then on the new 757 DL first class section.

Now, International is another story. I am having a tough time beating some of DL's fares to Europe at the moment. I like Biz/E and making the switch to UA is just not easy. My Intl travel alone would get me PM within 6 months in 2001. I am bound and determined to leave, but am not sure when. I think it will be march. It is just hard to leave after so many years of being "DL" family. One thing for sure, it is going to take quite a bit to get me to come back. Will delta become the A&P of airlines?
Old Dec 13, 2000, 8:29 pm

Well.......I've had it pretty much after tonight. It's not the bad weather in ATL (de-icing on a 777 takes a long time), but the fact that Delta is begining to pull a lot of dirty tricks with some of its longest customers. In ATL, I was denied my upgrade to BizElite, even though I am a PM and open seats were available, without giving up a segment upgrade certificate. After having nearly 10 Delta employees rounded up including 3 red coats, everyone at the gate was getting involved and I was finally allowed to pass after giving up my upgrade. Delta will be getting a call tomorrow from me and has one opportunity to fix things, if not they will be losing a very large contract from a very large company in the United States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.