Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about ‘fake cheese’ and stuff…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:57 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles

First, we want to unequivocally dispel the notion that the change of cheese from real to so-called ‘fake’ (aka shelf-stable cheese) is in no way connected to cost. The difference in price is cost neutral to Delta.

Second, we want to state very clearly that we hear (as well as understand) your frustration over the whole ‘cheese’ issue. We are taking action to move forward, but ask for your patience as we do so.

As we have posted previously our changes were not cost cutting measures, rather a cost reallocation across the club network. Now that some of the conversation has slowed down and we have had the chance to really look at your feedback, we wanted to come back to you with more details about what you can expect. We want to also be very clear on what we provide today in Delta’s Sky Clubs now that we have completed this phase of standardization across every one of our lounges.

Morning hours/breakfast (Club opening until 11 am):
Bagels, breakfast bars (date nut and others TBD), Montego Bay fruit and nut mix*, mini muffins (blueberry, banana and chocolate-chocolate chip), yogurt*

Post-morning/all-day snacks (11 am until Club close):
Pretzel mix* (Honey mustard, ranch and BBQ seasoning), chocolate spread, Biscoff cookies, cheddar cheese wedge (white cheddar, orange cheddar), crackers, Mesa Rose nut mix, carrot sticks*, olives, hummus* (plain and sun dried tomato), cookies (chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, oatmeal raisin, peanut butter chocolate and sugar) and dried fruit mix*. Also available in Asia Club locations – Oriental snack mix (supreme with wasabi, rice cracker crunch and Bonaventure).

For all items where there are multiple flavors/options, we rotate them approximately every 3 months. The * denotes healthy option.

Why ‘fake’ cheese and when can we expect ‘real’ cheese back?
While we certainly prefer using the correct term of shelf-stable cheese – but your term of ‘fake’ is the way we will refer to it here to stay consistent with your references to the item. This is the real story: many pre-merger Delta Club locations have a shortage of refrigeration space. This creates a number of logistical issues including food safety, which we must consider in our snack offerings. As a result, the majority of the items we offer across the Club network must be shelf-stable. Cost is not a factor in this decision – in fact, it may interest all of you to know, it is easier for Delta to purchase real cheese and with a very comparable per unit cost to the fake cheese product.

We are taking this issue very seriously – so seriously in fact that when and where feasible, we are taking action to add refrigeration to Clubs as we perform routine club upgrades and refurbishments. It is our desire that at some point, we will once again have a significant number of Club locations that can support the purchase of real cheese. Unfortunately, we do not have a formal timeline for this improvement as we provide this update, but we can commit that we will certainly let you know when we can upgrade this snack item.

Other healthy options:
As noted above, we currently offer some ‘healthy’ snack options, but we acknowledge that we are not where we would like to be on this front.
  • Bananas are no longer offered because they spoil quickly and there is a continual concern about pests like fruit flies from local health inspectors. The same is true for ‘soft’ fruit like peaches, pears, etc. as a result you will not see soft fruit in Delta Sky Clubs.
  • Apples were a popular option at both pre-merger Delta and Northwest lounges; however, we incurred a significant price increase in apples in the summer of 2008. Our option was to provide the current dried fruit product as a replacement. This particular item has greatly exceeded our expectations based on the overall consumption rate of this offering (we have qualitative data that clearly shows success of this item). An issue we are aware of with this option is that it is sugar filled and not considered ‘healthy’ by some. We continue to explore our options to return a true, fresh fruit option at some point in the future that can consistently stays within our operating budget. Again, when we have more information on this – we will definitely provide you an update.

That is the full story regarding food. The fact that 63% of you have indicated via this poll that food is a concern for you is a strong indication to us that we need to continue our work here. We are committed to doing so.

We would like to close by sharing some additional information with you. We have a number of data points that we use in making our decisions on what we need to focus on in order to improve your experience in our Clubs. Among those data points are: FlyerTalk, customer response cards, Delta In-Club survey data and independent ratings like that of Business Traveler Magazine and other publications. In terms of snacks and beverages offered among US-based carriers, Delta scores the highest among our competition across some of these key measurements. We believe this was part of what contributed to Business Traveler Magazine, Executive Travel Magazine and Global Traveler Magazine reader’s polls naming Delta Sky Clubs ‘Best Airport Lounge’ in 2010 – we were honored by all of these awards this year, but we definitely do not take them for granted.

We are not resting on our laurels though – we know that we must always strive to improve whenever we have the opportunity to do so. We know from your feedback that the selection of snacks offered in our lounges is consistently in the top three items mentioned so we will continue to focus on this area for the foreseeable future and we continue to understand your passion for the topic.

Thanks again for your patience and open conversation about this issue.

SkyMilesInsider
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Many thanks, SMI, for this communication. Your participation is indeed appreciated.

Now, about that award calendar..........
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Thank you SMI. I think most can agree that this is the honest communication that we are looking for. ^

As far as "fake" vs. "shelf-stable", it doesn't matter to me what it's referred to as. I just want the ingredients list to not look like a chemistry textbook. I do have cheese experience, having lived in Holland, Wisconsin (Mrs. GBadger is from very near Blue Mounds, where the "fake" cheese comes from) and now California (happy cows). While I can appreciate the refrigeration argument, it still doesn't make me any happier about eating some of the stuff that's in the "shelf-stable" stuff.

Also, is there any chance that nutritional information for the products served in bulk containers can be made available? One thing that concerns me is that things like the dried fruit mix is labeled as a "healthy option". While I normally agree with this, I feel as though that particular dried fruit mix ("Day-glo", as it is commonly referred to here) contains a significant amount of additives and sugar. Again, while I can understand the need for this, I'd still like to have sufficient information to decide whether I want to eat it or not.

Last edited by GBadger; Feb 26, 2010 at 12:09 pm
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, thanks for the update.

If the issue on the fake cheese was lack of refrigeration, can we expect a quick return of real cheese in those locations (i.e., the former NW WCs) that already have refrigerators? It doesn't have to be all or nothing, does it?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Gosh, real communication from a DL employee. Yayyyyyyy!

Some things like the fruit mix I don't mind. I do really miss the real cheese and crackers, and of course the carrots and ranch dip.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
SMI, thanks for the post, please do so when possible as it helps clear up a great bit and perhaps more than anything, instill the notion that Delta does indeed care about the opinions of its most frequent customers.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
Yes, thanks for the update.

If the issue on the fake cheese was lack of refrigeration, can we expect a quick return of real cheese in those locations (i.e., the former NW WCs) that already have refrigerators? It doesn't have to be all or nothing, does it?
From a foodservices purchasing agreement side, I would be willing to say yes, it does.

DL gets a better discount based on their volume.

However, they could do the AS Boardroom model (see the PDX club) and have them in a container with ice under to to keep the cheese from expiring.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:12 pm

NRT?

Does Delta intend to harmonize the amenities at NRT with the other clubs?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:14 pm

Communication like this from Delta is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
SMI, maybe you can put a map up in the Crown Rooms that shows people where they can get a variety of foods that is cooked or whatever. You may even be able to put how many feet away they are....

Keep up the good work and let's keep the bar feel.

And thanks for upgrading the Gin in the ATL Crown Rooms...or Skyclubs...
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
SMI... I think you guys are legitimately working very hard to improve the customer experience, in the face of a complicated merger. You also are clearly under fire from a small but dedicated group of core NW passengers who are dissatisfied (in some cases rightly so, based on their expectations) with how things currently stand.

But I feel the need to, well, call "shenanigans" on this:

Originally Posted by SkyMilesInsider
We would like to close by sharing some additional information with you. We have a number of data points that we use in making our decisions on what we need to focus on in order to improve your experience in our Clubs. Among those data points are: FlyerTalk, customer response cards, Delta In-Club survey data and independent ratings like that of Business Traveler Magazine and other publications. In terms of snacks and beverages offered among US-based carriers, Delta scores the highest among our competition across some of these key measurements. We believe this was part of what contributed to Business Traveler Magazine, Executive Travel Magazine and Global Traveler Magazine reader’s polls naming Delta Sky Clubs ‘Best Airport Lounge’ in 2010 – we were honored by all of these awards this year, but we definitely do not take them for granted.
From what I can see, there is nothing REMOTELY impartial about Business Traveler Magazine. DL (and Amex, I think) has been a major advertiser for a long time, and even stocks the magazine (I assume that means DL buys a huge subscription) in the SkyClubs. The same, I think, can be said about Global Traveler, which also appears in the SC.

Please, in the name of journalism, do NOT call their surveys "independent." When you get a top ranking from Conde Nast Traveler or Travel and Leisure, then you can feel free to use it as a "data point." But it's fairly clear that the the endorsements you list have been bought and paid for. It severely undermines your argument when you call them "independent."
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Thanks for communicating.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Thank you for the update, SkyMilesInsider! It is definitely appreciated.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta and United Silver, IHG Plat
SMI - thank you for the input - always glad to see you and DL are listening.

To be honest - I'm actually pretty much at peace with the food offering as you list it here. My only food concern left really is consistent application of the policy as you state it here. LAX has repeatedly demonstrated an interesting interpretation of their hours for example.

My real concern is the #2 item on the poll - location loss. The club cuts and the loss of the CO partnership blew a rather large hole in the domestic network which really cuts into the value equation of an SC membership. Couple it with the crowding at key places like ATL and I couldnt' make a case for renewing my SC this year.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
+1 on Communication!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.