Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How important is the Cruise Insurance? [discussion and resources]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, Delta, Amtrak, Southwest, American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
For medevac we use DAN - Divers Alert Network. They use TravelAssist, and members must be 50 miles / 80 km from home to avail themselves of Medevac - no age restrictions ^, and no requirement for the incident to be dive-related.

Membership is $35 per person per annum, or $55.00 for a family membership per annum, IMO a super deal. (This is targeted at US residents.)

You also get a magazine (yeah, related to dive safety ) and a dive medical guide, but useful for all travellers:

They also offer Annual Travel Insurance:

$292 - 634 per person per annum, which includes from $2,000 to $5,000 trip cancellation insurance (so instead of buying per trip you buy per year - a good deal unless you have multiple trip cancellations), as well as baggage and personal effects loss (same figures); the same amounts for all levels for medevac and repatriation $100,000, $10,000 medical, car rental collision coverage $25,000.

They are a non-profit organization mainly aimed at scuba divers, and I've used DAN for decades as a scuba diver and known people who have used DAN medevac for non-dive and dive-related issues. For $55 for the two of us, how do you spell D-E-A-L!
Thanks so much for this information!

Have you ever needed to use any of these benefits? If so, please elaborate.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, United, Delta, Amtrak, Southwest, American Airlines
Originally Posted by philemer
Lots of good info on cruise critic forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Thanks for the helpful link! Very informative.

I just wish that there was a "readers' digest" condensed version of the best travel insurance options.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
I have had two relatives (one an elderly grandparent who required emergency surgery and then suffered heart failure, the other a child who had a horrific accident) die while on holiday. Aside from cost of repatriation, covering the additional hotel accomodation etc for relatives, the insurance company dealt with everything.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
As a travel agent, I recommend policies for any trip not because I am trying to scam you out of money but because of I don't a client could sue me if something happened and I hadn't offered it.

In the past year I have averaged about 2 claims a month for clients. They are from weather delays causing overnight stays, deaths b4 trips, to a broken leg on an African safari. In that case the insurance paid for hospital in Cape town, payment for all extras, medical evac back to the US with nurses that costs about 350k.

As with any insurance you are only happy to have it when you actually need it.

I see stories all the,time about people who have accidents on vacations and have to set up gofundme accounts to pay the hospital bill so their family can leave the hospital or get doctor help as,many foreign hospitals they want immediate payment.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:21 pm

travel insurance dos (CSA Travel Insurance)

1. The cost of travel insurance is small % of trip. Like car insurance, its good news if a claim is never needed.
2. Travel insurance bolsters your existing health insurance
3. Travel insurance provides emergency medical coverage anywhere
4. Trip interruption--delays, baggage loss, missed connection --are common. Travel insurance enables you to take the cheaper flight/closer to cruise/tour departure day (and no hotel) and be covered.
5. Book closer to departure for reduced rates if you are not concerned about the trip protection
6. Student/young adults and 70+ ages should always have travel insurance.
7. Adventure travelers should always have travel insurance.
8. The most straight forward plans we have found are www.csatravelprotection.com

We had a serious claim situation due to grandparent passing away at home in the US while we were in Cambodia and CSA handled smoothly.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

best insurance companies for cruises (presumably not ones connected to cruiselines) ?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I price out all family trips on insuremytrip.com, and Travelex offers the best deal the majority of the time. YMMV, naturally, depending on what you really value in trip insurance.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
best insurance companies for cruises (presumably not ones connected to cruiselines) ?
I've been using Allianz. Thankfully never had to test them with claim.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS
I used to work as a claims adjuster for travel medical insurance. I dealt with claims from around the world, a few of them cruise ship related. I found that of people traveling on cruises, especially in/around 3rd world destinations, the level of treatment received at local hospitals (if removed from the cruise) was far superior when the providers knew that people had insurance coverage.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I don't have a lot invested in my next cruise yet: deposit for the cruise and taxes on the award flights to the port. I always purchase medical insurance before leaving the US but didn't buy trip cancellation/interruption insurance.

I just found out my daughter is pregnant and due 3 days after our return. Is it too late to get cancellation coverage and would I have a legitimate claim if she went went into labor while we were away and we wanted to return early?

Any ideas?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I don't have a lot invested in my next cruise yet: deposit for the cruise and taxes on the award flights to the port. I always purchase medical insurance before leaving the US but didn't buy trip cancellation/interruption insurance.

I just found out my daughter is pregnant and due 3 days after our return. Is it too late to get cancellation coverage and would I have a legitimate claim if she went went into labor while we were away and we wanted to return early?

Any ideas?
Move the vacation up by a month or two if it is a routine itinerary? I'd find it less stressful.

Google returns that most insurers consider pregnancy to be a normal event. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...5&postcount=14 You'd also be looking at trip interruption rather than cancellation as you'd already have started the trip.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I price out all family trips on insuremytrip.com, and Travelex offers the best deal the majority of the time. YMMV, naturally, depending on what you really value in trip insurance.
Agree completely on insuremytrip.com. Allows you to find the best insurance that meets your needs (do you need car rental insurance, pre-existing conditions etc.).

Have bought insurance through them and never had a problem. Had one occasion to collect on the insurance and had absolutely no problem.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

Any ideas?
Insurance companies know that a normal pregnancy and birth is not a last minute thing. If you want to be here for the birth you would have plenty of time to cancel your cruise and get your deposit back. At this point you can get the taxes on the award tickets back but you would need to pay a redeposit fee. Many insurance companies will not pay for the redeposit fee.

Bottom line is that there is probably no way to purchase insurance that would cover your out of pocket costs.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline

Any ideas?
I don't know any travel insurance that would cover this. It's now a pre-existing condition, and you wanting to get home early because your daughter is having a baby isn't a covered benefit that I've ever seen. Agree, if you want to be there, cancel and rebook.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by deant
Insurance companies know that a normal pregnancy and birth is not a last minute thing. If you want to be here for the birth you would have plenty of time to cancel your cruise and get your deposit back. At this point you can get the taxes on the award tickets back but you would need to pay a redeposit fee. Many insurance companies will not pay for the redeposit fee.

Bottom line is that there is probably no way to purchase insurance that would cover your out of pocket costs.
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I don't know any travel insurance that would cover this. It's now a pre-existing condition, and you wanting to get home early because your daughter is having a baby isn't a covered benefit that I've ever seen. Agree, if you want to be there, cancel and rebook.
I did a little research on my own and agree. It doesn't look like it would be covered. Assuming no complications, we will move forward with our planning and either get back in time or be the last of the family to see the baby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.