Wiki Posts
Search

Just canceled my "Visa Black"...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Just canceled my "Visa Black"...

I'm an original US Cent card holder from the bitter start and picked up the new Visa Black thinking that maybe it would have some great benefits that aren't covered by the Cent card and between the two I'd have a great package - whoa, was I mistaken.

Not only does the card have an embarrassing "BLACK CARD" written across the front in a huge font, but the benefits were non-existent, only a $99 Priority Pass membership, which requires you to pay $27 per visit - I get the good PP membership free with Cent. Nothing else for travel-type folks.

I canceled it before the first bill even arrived (never actually used it) and they said they won't try to stick me with the $500 annual fee.

While I thought the paper-thin plastic (er, "carbon") was interesting, I couldn't imagine using it anywhere with the big "BLACK CARD" written across the front. I cringe enough using the regular Amex Cent when it draws attention, but having something so seemingly pretentious is not my style.

For the first week I debated keeping it thinking that maybe it was _such_ a new program that they were still getting the benefits package together, but when I read that it was a Visa card that had benefits less than my free "Signature" visa from a local bank, I was done.

They didn't try to talk me into keeping it, but they were very pleasant about it.

Anyone else?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cardtracker
Should be posted in Other Credit Cards forum vs. here.
While I would agree and would have originally, I'm such a pro-Cent card and was posting from the perspective of an Amex Cent holder dipping into the Visa Black.

Mod'ers are welcome to move the thread if they feel appropriate, my apologies.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
But if you're embarrassed to use your Centurion card, why not just get the additional Platinum and use that instead? Only use the black when necessary?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Good suggestion - it used to be that you didn't get any bonus cards with Cent but now they are allowing you to pick up a plat (or gold?) for next to nothing. While the bill is linked to your Cent card, none of the benefits apply, ie: warranty issues, etc. If you use a gold (or plat) you get the benefits associated with that card, even though it is on your Cent account.

I suppose that your point is that the Plat is 90% of the Cent, so why not just use that? It's a good suggestion. Still wish that they would let you get a plain "green" one as the stealth Cent card...
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Not only does the card have an embarrassing "BLACK CARD" written across the front in a huge font, ... I couldn't imagine using it anywhere with the big "BLACK CARD" written across the front
What's amazing to me is how someone smart enough to have a Cent already didn't do even 1/2 second of research on this card, 'cause all of the advertising I've seen for Visa Black has had this oh-so-embarassing phrase prominently displayed on the card.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Ah yes, well your mistake was in assuming that someone with a Cent card was smart, that's a big leap of faith and two topics that are quite disconnected.

I was offered the Visa card before it was advertised or publicized and was told that it would have oodles of benefits to frequent travelers like myself and the free luxury gifts would crowd my doorstep to the point where I'd trip over them when I left the house. They also said that the women would swoon, it was a great cook, and would cure cancer.

The cancer part is still unproven, but I'm having my doubts.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
The first red flag of the so call "black card" for me is when it choose to place the banner ad on buy.com.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen
the first red flag of the so call "black card" for me is when it choose to place the banner ad on buy.com.

lol lol lol
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:18 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Yes, this is certainly a card being MASS MARKETED to the masses that want to feel like they are giving off the impression they are loaded - thus the gaudy BLACK CARD print. If you are truly wealthy, this card would be a joke for you to have.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:43 am

Ah yes, well your mistake was in assuming that someone with a Cent card was smart, that's a big leap of faith and two topics that are quite disconnected.

I was offered the Visa card before it was advertised or publicized and was told that it would have oodles of benefits to frequent travelers like myself and the free luxury gifts would crowd my doorstep to the point where I'd trip over them when I left the house. They also said that the women would swoon, it was a great cook, and would cure cancer.

The cancer part is still unproven, but I'm having my doubts.
Did you ever get any of the free luxury gifts which the ads for the card play up? If so, what were they?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
Good suggestion - it used to be that you didn't get any bonus cards with Cent but now they are allowing you to pick up a plat (or gold?) for next to nothing. While the bill is linked to your Cent card, none of the benefits apply, ie: warranty issues, etc. If you use a gold (or plat) you get the benefits associated with that card, even though it is on your Cent account.

I suppose that your point is that the Plat is 90% of the Cent, so why not just use that? It's a good suggestion. Still wish that they would let you get a plain "green" one as the stealth Cent card...
Actually, I believe that you DO get the benefits of the Cent card when you use your gold, platinum , or other Amex charge/credit account--whether or not they're attached to your Cent account. I made a claim with Amex several years ago, and I recall that even though the purchase was not made on my Cent account, they extended the Cent benefits for purchase protection. The benefits may have changed, but I'd double check.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
What's amazing to me is how someone smart enough to have a Cent already didn't do even 1/2 second of research on this card
Easier said than done...even the Barclay's website doesn't have any detailed information on the benefits or reward packages.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 12:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
... 'cause all of the advertising I've seen for Visa Black has had this oh-so-embarassing phrase prominently displayed on the card.
Originally Posted by trojanman
Easier said than done...even the Barclay's website doesn't have any detailed information on the benefits or reward packages.
Yeah, but it appears DMSFCA's main objection was the appearance of the card.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I clicked on the ad ths morning as I thought "whiskey tango foxtrot" the card is a useless piece of plastic. $495 for a Priority pass membership. Everything else comes standard with most No-fee Visa cards
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:15 pm

Free Gifts

So far, some initial users have received Cross Pens with engravings as free gifts: http://www.the-blackcard.com/visa-bl...d-luxury-gift/

You want to hope that is just an initial token gift, or there is a lot of abuse on the term luxury!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.