Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can paypal be disputed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:31 pm

When did Paypal become such a**holes? The seller fees are ridiculous - they force you to upgrade to a premiere account, then charge for bank transfers. The only reason they have any weight is that they're owned by Ebay, and therefore "trusted".

I have disputed a few things over the years for payments through Paypal. I think almost every time was after the Paypal time limit but inside the CC limit. Usually I spent the initial 30/60 days arguing with the sellers or waiting for some sort of response from someone before running out of time. The CC was very good about refunding, and then I'd get a form letter from Paypal reminding me of filing disputes through them first. Paypal's henchmen seem so incompetent it seemed pointless to me to bother trying to file a dispute with them so I never even tried it - just went straight to credit card.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:36 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by gj83
I gave up paypal for 4 years after that. Then recently my BF insisted on paying me rent by paypal. One month he put "for sexual favors" in the memo line. Both of our accounts were frozen and it took 6 calls on his end and 3 on mine to get the transaction through. That finally got him to realize that paypal sucks and I am again off them and just get a paper check each month.
Now that's really funny. I guess he learned his lesson...

I wouldn't trust paypal, personally. I got burned big time last year as a seller on ebay and paypal was no help to me. I took a big hit, but that's the risk you take, eh?

Last edited by richmond3121; Jul 25, 2008 at 11:37 pm Reason: i'm dumb
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:23 am

paypal stinks!

i once purchased coins on the internet for approx 10,000 i was buying silver proof sets and recived clad proof sets so i contact paypal they let me hang! beacuse they only protect if you buy via ebay and not from the seller direct
we are talking about $10.000 bucks so i called up my cc amex and master card i used both of them and with no problems at all i recived my refund
paypal then closed my account for disputing a charge against them

watch out when usind paypal
Old Oct 14, 2008, 4:08 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
you have to be careful with the disputes. For a period this year, i bought creams off ebay and 3/3 times, they came defective or were never sent. Disputed all 3. after the 3rd time, paypal tried to freeze/restrict my account asking for bank account statements or electricity bills to be sent in. I never send these bills to ebay/paypal anymore. The one time i did, they lost the form and bam, i got defrauded on my credit card and found out i had phone bills opened up in my name when i did not do so.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:57 am

check out www.paypalsucks.com

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I am thinking of paying a Kenyan tour operator by paypal. The reason I am thinking about this is just in case he does not perform I would like dispute and am wondering if I would have the same disputing power as a regular credit card.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:49 am

I had an incident where paypal closing both buyer/seller account without any dispute from either party because it felt no longer comfortable doing business with me. They asked me to verify a whole lot of information and when I successfully completed all of their requirements, they closed the account anyways. Naturally, I don't feel comfortable doing business with it ever since so I do not use it.
Their customer support is a total waste of time as they are not able to get anything done and not very knowledgeable.
I think it should go out of business and I'll do everything in my power to support that.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 1:05 pm

I have disputed paypal plenty of times when paypal ruled in favor of the seller. Credit Card always works it out.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:15 pm

I agree that ''Paypal'' is bad news. www.paypalsucks.com , as previously mentioned, sets out a lot of information as to why. They make disputing a charge with them so convuluted that it is a total pain in the ....
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:21 pm

I purchased two gold Coins from Latvia and paid over $4,000 for them. after 25 days, I received the items and took them to a gold shop and they told me that they are not Authentic and tat I can get into trouble for having them. I went directly and opened a dispute on AMEX and I still haven't heard anything. I trued to send the items back and give AMEX the tracking number, but sending coins and stuff from the US to Latvia is prohibited...Any suggestion?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kasra111
...I went directly and opened a dispute on AMEX and I still haven't heard anything.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

I see that you replied to a 2008 thread discussing PayPal. How is PayPal involved in your transaction? Does the transaction appear on an American Express statement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.