Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

getting unsolicited increased credit limits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

looking for thoughts/opinions on how to handle these. ive received a couple letters notifiying me my credit limits have been increased on some of my cards. i did not request them and was thinking of asking they reduce it back to what it was originally. my thought is that when i close the account it will have a large impact on my credit score since there was a higher limit... anything i'm missing?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
my thought is that when i close the account it will have a large impact on my credit score since there was a higher limit...
It's always wise to reduce credit limits way down before closing accounts.

I would contact the banks in question to let them know that you do not want them raising your credit limits unless you request that they do so.

Last edited by muji; Feb 8, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

thanks muji!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by patpatpatme
...when i close the account it will have a large impact on my credit score since there was a higher limit...
I don't follow the reasoning.

Let's say your aggregate credit limits are $100,000 and you receive a pair of unsolicited increases to $110,000. If you rollback those increases it will have exactly the same impact on your Utilization as if you had closed an account with a $10,000 limit. There may be good reasons to decline an increased limit, but it won't change the effect of closing those accounts.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
I don't follow the reasoning.

Let's say your aggregate credit limits are $100,000 and you receive a pair of unsolicited increases to $110,000. If you rollback those increases it will have exactly the same impact on your Utilization as if you had closed an account with a $10,000 limit. There may be good reasons to decline an increased limit, but it won't change the effect of closing those accounts.
Because the change in credit score is not resulted from the closure itself, but as a consequence as the debt-to-credit ratio increase due to the credit reduction.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Because the change in credit score is not resulted from the closure itself, but as a consequence as the debt-to-credit ratio increase due to the credit reduction.

Your debt to credit ratio still goes down whether you close the card or lower the limit...so why wouldn't you just close the card ?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by muji
It's always wise to reduce credit limits way down before closing accounts.

I would contact the banks in question to let them know that you do not want them raising your credit limits unless you request that they do so.
Why, and why?

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
Your debt to credit ratio still goes down whether you close the card or lower the limit...so why wouldn't you just close the card ?
Why do either, unless you're trying to churn or avoid an AF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.