Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 12:38 pm

I've noticed when going over my debit card statement that many Apple Pay purchases are posting as 'Debit Card Purchase' rather than 'Digital Card Purchase'. For example, Exxon Speedpass+, a coffee shop using Square, a different coffee shop using Shopkeep, and some other merchants. On the contrary, the Lyft app one time didn't authorise my card before the ride (not even the Apple Pay prompt) and made me enter my debit card at the end. The transaction still posted as 'Digital Card Purchase' despite being authorised with my physical card. Either there's something at the processor level I'm unaware of, or there's a glitch on Capital One's part.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:59 pm

I went to Pump and Pantry(gas station, c-store) and they upgraded to Equinox L5300's from MX850's without emv slots. NFC is enabled and it uses Retalix on IBM hardware as it says WAVED when NFC is used. Just like Casey's General Store and Love's Travel Stops the latter which still declines, while Casey's tweaked it a bit and now allows NFC to work 100%. Pump and Pantry has not tweaked it so all but the grandfathered card declines still.

This probably means nothing but I found a Target on the contactless locator is is at 2025 N Central Expy Mckinney, TX 75070 if anyone wants to look for themselves.
Old May 29, 2016, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
I went to Pump and Pantry(gas station, c-store) and they upgraded to Equinox L5300's from MX850's without emv slots. NFC is enabled and it uses Retalix on IBM hardware as it says WAVED when NFC is used. Just like Casey's General Store and Love's Travel Stops the latter which still declines, while Casey's tweaked it a bit and now allows NFC to work 100%. Pump and Pantry has not tweaked it so all but the grandfathered card declines still.

This probably means nothing but I found a Target on the contactless locator is is at 2025 N Central Expy Mckinney, TX 75070 if anyone wants to look for themselves.
Have you tried American Express contactless at the places that only accept the Google Wallet card?
Old May 29, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I've noticed when going over my debit card statement that many Apple Pay purchases are posting as 'Debit Card Purchase' rather than 'Digital Card Purchase'. For example, Exxon Speedpass+, a coffee shop using Square, a different coffee shop using Shopkeep, and some other merchants. On the contrary, the Lyft app one time didn't authorise my card before the ride (not even the Apple Pay prompt) and made me enter my debit card at the end. The transaction still posted as 'Digital Card Purchase' despite being authorised with my physical card. Either there's something at the processor level I'm unaware of, or there's a glitch on Capital One's part.
BofA shows debit purchases slightly differently depending on whether it was on run as credit or not. Maybe that's what's happening here?
Old May 29, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Have you tried American Express contactless at the places that only accept the Google Wallet card?
I do not have an Amex card to test but I'm sure it would work. If your near a Love's Travel stop then you could try out Amex contactless with L5300's and Retalix.
Old May 29, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
BofA shows debit purchases slightly differently depending on whether it was on run as credit or not. Maybe that's what's happening here?
I don't believe that's it. I've made Apple Pay purchases processed as both credit and debit that post as 'Digital Card Purchase'. Example: Pret A Manger (credit) and Best Buy (debit).
Old May 30, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

El Pollo Loco has both contact EMV and contactless MSD enabled with Micros POSes and Pax PX7 terminals. Might be the first fast food chain with EMV? Seemed to run fairly quickly based on the person in front of me. Interestingly the contactless logo only lights up (lower left) when the cashier turns on the terminal.

Also, is it me or has Pax flat out copied Ingenico on all of their products?

EDIT: actually, Subway might be first. Haven't been able to confirm yet.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles
El Pollo Loco has both contact EMV and contactless MSD enabled with Micros POSes and Pax PX7 terminals. Might be the first fast food chain with EMV? Seemed to run fairly quickly based on the person in front of me. Interestingly the contactless logo only lights up (lower left) when the cashier turns on the terminal.

PAX literally feels like a ripoff dollar store product compared to Verifone and Ingenico, but I have noticed it seems to be the preferred brand for a lot of food service semi integrated operations, specifically Digital Dining etc. That being said as long as they have EMV and NFC, I'm a happy camper.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
PAX literally feels like a ripoff dollar store product compared to Verifone and Ingenico, but I have noticed it seems to be the preferred brand for a lot of food service semi integrated operations, specifically Digital Dining etc. That being said as long as they have EMV and NFC, I'm a happy camper.
I think the more surprising thing is that someone using Micros actually has EMV. I always had the impression that Micros was going to be pretty late supporting the whole thing, if they ever did.

Speaking of EMV, apparently people are still trying to come out with stuff that uses the magstripe. Today's product is called Spend, which seems about as thick as my iPhone and uses MST. To their credit they do mention that they're working on making deals with banks to be able to tokenize card data but isn't that going to get them in trouble with Samsung?
Old May 30, 2016, 9:26 pm

You should take a picture of the PAX PX7 as I have never seen one in person and there are like no real life pictures of them on the internet. Also Speaking of PAX, Runza a locally based chain mostly in my state has PAX S300 pinpads at many locations which looks a lot like the VX820 but instead black. Visa Android Pay still says "Receive Error" and they have not fixed it at all, so no idea what is wrong with their setup. EMV Contact does work though and its not too slow. The Capital One Wallet has worked in the past but it didn't the last time I tried, said something about no response from issuer or something. Maybe Apple/Android Pay MasterCard/Amex only works?
Old May 30, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
You should take a picture of the PAX PX7 as I have never seen one in person and there are like no real life pictures of them on the internet. Also Speaking of PAX, Runza a locally based chain mostly in my state has PAX S300 pinpads at many locations which looks a lot like the VX820 but instead black. Visa Android Pay still says "Receive Error" and they have not fixed it at all, so no idea what is wrong with their setup. EMV Contact does work though and its not too slow. The Capital One Wallet has worked in the past but it didn't the last time I tried, said something about no response from issuer or something. Maybe Apple/Android Pay MasterCard/Amex only works?
I tapped my physical PRG card so I can't comment on whether normal Apple Pay would work. I don't eat at El Pollo Loco often though so it might be a bit before I can get a photo.

Also, I mentioned above that Subway might be the first fast food place with EMV. I've seen a few get added the map before today, not to mention the one next to the El Pollo Loco I went to today apparently added a mounting bracket for their VX820. I'll see about going this week to see if they have EMV contactless like Starbucks does.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Funny thing is, up until recently I thought PAX terminals were only used in China. They're everywhere here. Even Pret A Manger uses them.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:51 pm

At Disneyland today. Some of the carts that sell food have new POS systems. The Mickey face on the back in an NFC reader for Apple Pay and MagicBands (not yet announced for Disneyland but it's coming) and the reader is turned on! Apple Pay will ding and the Mickey will flash green, but will immidiatly give an error to the person behind the counter. So it looks like it's almost ready, just not yet.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
At Disneyland today. Some of the carts that sell food have new POS systems. The Mickey face on the back in an NFC reader for Apple Pay and MagicBands (not yet announced for Disneyland but it's coming) and the reader is turned on! Apple Pay will ding and the Mickey will flash green, but will immidiatly give an error to the person behind the counter. So it looks like it's almost ready, just not yet.
Nice. Do you have a picture of the new POS system? Is it IOS based? Last time I saw they were using iPod touches and iPad minis. How do they swipe plain old credit cards right now on it?
Old May 31, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Funny thing is, up until recently I thought PAX terminals were only used in China. They're everywhere here. Even Pret A Manger uses them.
Pret use VX820 in the States and (I believe) Ingenico iPPxxx in England.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.