Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Double Cash MasterCard unlimited 1% + 1%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Double Cash MasterCard unlimited 1% + 1%

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:00 pm

Gary Leff says this is a MasterCard.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
And I just spoke with CSR who said this is the first day of this card's existence so they don't have all the information finalized yet, but all information regarding conversions/ sign up bonus information should be known at least somewhat by Tuesday
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

We have seen several 2% Visa/MC cards come and go, but none of them stick without an annual fee or other restrictions. I wonder if Citi knows something the others didn't.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by cbn42
We have seen several 2% Visa/MC cards come and go, but none of them stick without an annual fee or other restrictions. I wonder if Citi knows something the others didn't.
How to have unprofitable products they later discontinue/gut?

Secured Card 5% CD Rate
Forward 5x
Thank You 5x
Thank You Premier / Prestige Flight Points & Companion Pass
Banking TY points
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:22 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by cbn42
The structure of the 2% cash back on this Citi card is interesting: 1% at time of purchase and 1% at time of payment, regardless of whether you pay in full or over time. Combine that with the 0% APR intro offer and I think Citi is targeting a different audience with this card and is banking (no pun intended ) on the fact that there will be enough interest charges generated to cover the cost of the cash back without having to charge an annual fee.

-S
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:37 pm

looks like citi dividend was removed.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:40 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by st0ne
looks like citi dividend was removed.
Good catch. They also have now added the double cash card to the citicards site. Would love to convert my dividend card to this one. Hope they allow that.
Unfortunately, though, my dividend card is one of the oldest in my credit history. Does anyone know if converting it will reset the account open date?

Edit: Just chatted with a Citi agent who told me that I will be able to convert my card starting on Sep. 7th. She also told me that she didn't think converting the card would reset my account open date, but advised me to check with the CSR when I call to convert. Any data points anyone here on FT can provide would be great.

-S

Last edited by Sarfa33; Aug 28, 2014 at 6:45 pm
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sarfa33
Good catch. They also have now added the double cash card to the citicards site. Would love to convert my dividend card to this one. Hope they allow that.
Unfortunately, though, my dividend card is one of the oldest in my credit history. Does anyone know if converting it will reset the account open date?

Edit: Just chatted with a Citi agent who told me that I will be able to convert my card starting on Sep. 7th. She also told me that she didn't think converting the card would reset my account open date, but advised me to check with the CSR when I call to convert. Any data points anyone here on FT can provide would be great.

-S
Converting the card Doesn't affect card history/open date. That's why this option exists in the first place
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:23 pm
Suspended

I don't see why we should get exited about 2%. The minimum you should be able to get is 3% with a combination of cards.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:37 pm

Do we know for certain yet if the points will be redeemable at .01 cent per point and not more/less?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Do we know for certain yet if the points will be redeemable at .01 cent per point and not more/less?
Seems safe to assume. It says 2% Cash Back, not 2 Points. I think that can only mean $0.02 back per $1 spent.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I just paid renewal on my Arrivals based on two factors:
- convenience. 23k CL so I don't need to bother if Citi will allow me to move credit around from other cards. Also, as you mentioned, C+P, no FTF and TripIt Pro, some sense of a free, numerical credit score etc.
- more importantly, I also view the opportunity cost of getting a HP for this card. If I would get this Citi card I would likely be getting this instead of another Citi card where the benefits can be anywhere from $300-$600+.

Any other factors you guys consider?

Originally Posted by roki
Arrival wins for year one (obviously with the signup). After that, the additional 0.2% from the Arrival would only offset the annual fee from the arrival if you spent >$44,500/year.

Arrival wins with no FTFs, Chip+Pin (I think?). Also, the Arrival is a WEMC, and no one knows what this card is yet.

But, most people have no FTF cards, and plenty of WEMCs. From a numbers game, this card wins from year 2 onward infinitum.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Agreed. But I view spend on these types of cards as the regular ~ $1k/month of regular spend, foreign transactions, basic cash back via AP when I am not meeting min spends or giving my favorite card some more business. For anything under 5k I find it tedious to bother with gift cards.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I don't see why we should get exited about 2%. The minimum you should be able to get is 3% with a combination of cards.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by SamInNYC
I just paid renewal on my Arrivals based on two factors:
- convenience. 23k CL so I don't need to bother if Citi will allow me to move credit around from other cards. Also, as you mentioned, C+P, no FTF and TripIt Pro, some sense of a free, numerical credit score etc.
- more importantly, I also view the opportunity cost of getting a HP for this card. If I would get this Citi card I would likely be getting this instead of another Citi card where the benefits can be anywhere from $300-$600+.

Any other factors you guys consider?

I factor in the length of time I would keep this card. This has no annual fee, and is great for those in between app times. This is the type of card I would keep open for a long time, and that will help my credit rating long term.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Anyone know if we can product change from an AA Executive? Wonder if that would be a good way out of an AF without drawing the ire of the Citi overlords.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.