Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Best Card(s) for Non-Bonus Spend Categories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Card(s) for Non-Bonus Spend Categories

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR
best card for 1x spend?

I have the UA explorer recently for the targeted offer, AA plat for the 50k bonus, Amazon chase, and I'm a AU on a Amex PRG.

For the 1x -- one of the airline cards or the PRG?

My goal is miles for J international. The PRG has some decent transfer partners in that area, like ANA and AC. Bloggers value the MR points around 1.8 or more.

I'm not a big spender. I do not think I'll be able to meet the 25k on the UA card for the bonus miles.

Or perhaps all these cards are poor for this purpose. Should I get another card for the bulk of my spend that will offer me better value? If so, which is the best option?\

I have 4 inquries on exp right now, and i'm new to the game, so i want to chose the next card carefully.

Last edited by dcflyer10; Nov 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:26 am

Just get the citi doublecash. You can make all your purchases 2% cashback. Or, get the Amex Everyday (no AF version since you said you're not a big spender) so you can get full MR points with no AF via everyday spending (2.4 pts/$ for groceries and 1.2 pts/$ for everything else, assuming you make 20+ transactions a month on it).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
best card for 1x spend?

If your goal is strictly international premium air travel, the Starwood Amex might be the best for non-bonus everyday spend. You can transfer to most airline partners at a 1:1 ratio with a 5000 mile bonus for every 20,000 points. So that's 1.25 miles per dollar spent. You can probably easily get a 2 cent per mile value on an international J or F redemption, essentially giving you at least a 2.5% return.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
best card for 1x spend?

Or the Arrival at 2.2%cb redeemed for travel purchased
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcflyer10
I have the UA explorer recently for the targeted offer, AA plat for the 50k bonus, Amazon chase, and I'm a AU on a Amex PRG.

For the 1x -- one of the airline cards or the PRG?

My goal is miles for J international. The PRG has some decent transfer partners in that area, like ANA and AC. Bloggers value the MR points around 1.8 or more.

I'm not a big spender. I do not think I'll be able to meet the 25k on the UA card for the bonus miles.

Or perhaps all these cards are poor for this purpose. Should I get another card for the bulk of my spend that will offer me better value? If so, which is the best option?\

I have 4 inquries on exp right now, and i'm new to the game, so i want to chose the next card carefully.
Honestly, your rewards are going to be pretty trivial without large spending. It will take forever to build up enough to book premium international travel. Remember, you have to earn and then plan...then search for award space.

You're probably going to be better off churning cards or getting into MS (which is volatile and inherently risky). Just my two cents.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR
Thanks..

It appears the best options for everyday spend are the Amex cards - spg or ED. Right now I'll probably use either the AA or the PRG card. AA and MR are worth more than UA miles and cash back won't get much chance at business class travel. As I have more cash than miles, the fuel charges on the MR airlines is actually easier to deal with because it will take a very long time to earn a lot of miles in my situation through spend alone.

I am meeting minimum spend on the explorer right now for 55k miles. I am tempted by an online offer for the Amex Platinum with a 100k bonus, but I doubt I can justify the annual fee nor do I feel I will take advantage of the lounge access enough.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:25 pm

So for a $450 AF for the first year, you realize you get $400 (200 per calendar year, so 2x first year if you play it right) of airline credits (aa gift cards... ), Global Entry/TSA precheck $100 reimbursement, other perks (lounges, concierge), plus 100,000 points ($1000 cash at worst).

a r/t to europe in J class can be had for 80,000 r/t if you want to deal with Alitalia's phone reps. Aeroplan from 90k.

If you don't have any plans to really use your credit (mortgage) in the near future this is a no-brainer. After the first year thats up to you do decide, seems like a 'no' after one year, which is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.