Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Hilton Amex no anual fee: 65,000 points [Expired]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Amex no anual fee: 65,000 points [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
1. The T&C say "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express® account within the last 90 days."

A Delta Amex card should not pose any problems.

2. One Citi HH and one Amex HH at the same time is doable. I did it myself 3 months ago.

This Citi HH card? (six cards down)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:35 pm

The T&C say "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express® account within the last 90 days."
I'm a little bit confused. The T&C say " have had" but people always talk about "applied" 12 months ago will be ok.
The restriction is about application date or the closing date?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:16 pm

This is the 65,000 point question.

Read literally, it means if you hold ANY Hilton Amex, you cannot get ANY OTHER Hilton Amex.

These are Amex's new T&C, and apply to all cards. They imply, for example, that if you hold a Gold card you cannot get a Platinum card. A lot of people think this must be not what they intend -- that it is 12 months since that particular card, and 90 days from APPLYING (not simply holding) a related card ("any Green/Gold/Platinum card", "any Hilton card", "any Delta card", etc.)

But if you read it literally, the T&C suggest merely holding is enough to disqualify you. This is a huge YMMV situation but there are reports of people holding one Amex card and getting approved for another, even though the T&C seem to prevent that.

Every other bank treats separate products separately--hell, you can even get the Ink Bold, Ink Plus, and Ink Cash from Chase--and Amex used to as well, so a lot of people think that the literal interpretation is incorrect. But of course, if you apply and are rejected, you have nothing to fall back on.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimson12
This is the 65,000 point question.

Read literally, it means if you hold ANY Hilton Amex, you cannot get ANY OTHER Hilton Amex.

These are Amex's new T&C, and apply to all cards. They imply, for example, that if you hold a Gold card you cannot get a Platinum card. A lot of people think this must be not what they intend -- that it is 12 months since that particular card, and 90 days from APPLYING (not simply holding) a related card ("any Green/Gold/Platinum card", "any Hilton card", "any Delta card", etc.)

But if you read it literally, the T&C suggest merely holding is enough to disqualify you. This is a huge YMMV situation but there are reports of people holding one Amex card and getting approved for another, even though the T&C seem to prevent that.

Every other bank treats separate products separately--hell, you can even get the Ink Bold, Ink Plus, and Ink Cash from Chase--and Amex used to as well, so a lot of people think that the literal interpretation is incorrect. But of course, if you apply and are rejected, you have nothing to fall back on.
Getting another card is no problem, getting the bonus on another card is a huge unknown.

I believe I have read it in either this thread of the Surpass thread, that a person's experiment FAILED. Said person was able to get a 2nd HHonor card, namely the Surpass but no bonus.

The experiment seems to conclude that you would need to be "cleared" from owning any similar products in the past 12 months before you are eligible to get bonus again. Essentially this is AMEX answer to churning / double-dipping.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:29 pm

Right, I should have been clear that I meant get approved AND get the bonus. (If you don't get the bonus what point is there to getting the card? )

But read literally, the T&C would suggest that if you currently hold a Gold card you cannot get a new Platinum card (even without the bonus). That can't be right. People do it all the time, and Amex even targets people to do it.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:59 am

I met the entire minimum spend requirement quickly, and while the first 40K posted, the remaining 25K did not

Is there a lag time between the 2 of them posting, even if I meet both thresholds at one time?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Just received my first statement and under bonus points earned it lists 900 for Hilton Family Hotel Purchases. Which is nice, except I've been nowhere near purchasing anything from Hilton....just restaurants, warehouse clubs, grocery, gas, etc... I do have one charge for $100 and one for $50 that could possibly explain a 900 equivalent, but again neither are anywhere near Hilton designated. I don't dare call in case there's a glitch, but I'm perplexed.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by TTnC4me
Just received my first statement and under bonus points earned it lists 900 for Hilton Family Hotel Purchases. Which is nice, except I've been nowhere near purchasing anything from Hilton....just restaurants, warehouse clubs, grocery, gas, etc... I do have one charge for $100 and one for $50 that could possibly explain a 900 equivalent, but again neither are anywhere near Hilton designated. I don't dare call in case there's a glitch, but I'm perplexed.
Is the restaurant owned by Hilton?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Originally Posted by the hotel bar
I met the entire minimum spend requirement quickly, and while the first 40K posted, the remaining 25K did not

Is there a lag time between the 2 of them posting, even if I meet both thresholds at one time?
How long did it take for the 40k to post, from the date you reach your min? on or after your statement?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Is the restaurant owned by Hilton?
nope. I didn't even have $150 to restaurants total. Just makes no sense. Guess I'll try to make some similar charges this month on a few items to see if I can duplicate it. I certainly appreciate the extra 900 pts!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Do you have $150 at grocery stores, gas, drugstores? Since both Hilton and grocery/gas/drugstore purchases earn 6x points, maybe they are bundling them together?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
Do you have $150 at grocery stores, gas, drugstores? Since both Hilton and grocery/gas/drugstore purchases earn 6x points, maybe they are bundling them together?
The statement differentiates bonus points from Hilton, supermarket, gas, and drugstore with their own line items.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The statement differentiates bonus points from Hilton, supermarket, gas, and drugstore with their own line items.
The danger I see is some how your card might be used at HH property without your knowledge. As long as you can identify all the charges on the card are yours and no un-recognized charge on the card, I would not too worry about it. Though I am surprised AMEX system would make such mistake.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:54 am
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:02 pm

D*mn it I just did my first round Maybe the link to this app will stay available even after offer expires like the Citi AA ones
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I have the final outcome on double dipping

Applied for no-fee hilton in Jan 2012

Was told by CSR that I would qualify for SURPASS bonus since I never had a surpass and it had been over 90 days since i got my card.

Applied and was approved and met spend but I was rejected for the SURPASS bonus and finally got clarification from AMEX from a supervisor.

AMEX considers all hilton cards as one product, it doesn't matter what kind of hilton card it is, what benefits you get, or if you pay an annual fee.

In order to qualify for multiple hilton bonuses you need to have 12 months +1 day from your last application AND have the account closed for a minimum of 90 days.

you CAN NOT have ANY hilton AMEX open if you plan on double dipping.

However, if I had clicked this link to upgrade my fee-free to SURPASS, I would have gotten an additional 50k for $3k spend

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...Honors-Surpass

(if it doesn't show up, log into your amex account)

SO, if you want to double dip, get this card, meet the spend, get the points, then upgrade to the SURPASS for $75 annual fee and meet the new spend.

You can potentially get 115k hilton points.

Again, upgrading qualifies for the bonus points, getting a separate surpass does not
Is the upgrade a pretty regular offer? Makes this very tempting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.