Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Hilton Amex no anual fee: 65,000 points [Expired]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Amex no anual fee: 65,000 points [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by elBulli
I still like the HHonors Surpass better.

True, it's 60k points versus 65k, but the first 40k on the Surpass comes after first purchase, and the next 20k comes after $3k spend. And you get Gold status. With the deal above, you only get Silver status (i.e. no chance of free room upgrades) and you have to spend $750 to get your first set of bonus points and another $3k to get the next set of bonus points.

Surpass: $75 annual fee (not waived), 40,000 points immediately, 20,000 after $3k spend, Gold status

Regular: no annual fee, 40,000 points after $750 spend, 25,000 after the next $3,000 spend ($3,750 spend total), Silver status
Better option is to get regular and get bonus offer to upgrade to Surpass
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, DL Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by skibum7732
yes and no...

If you are planning to stay at hilton properties in the near future the Surpass makes more sense and will make up the bonus offer for upgrading in 4-5 stays.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
What do you mean? The Surpass currently offers a lower sign up bonus than the regular?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:53 pm

Is there usually a period of time that one has to keep amex cards or can I get the card and then close the account after a billing cycle and still keep the sign-up bonus?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
What do you mean? The Surpass currently offers a lower sign up bonus than the regular?
Some people get email (or regular mail? not positive) offers to upgrade their regular HHonors card to the Surpass and get a 50k bonus when they do. So getting this one first and then waiting for that offer to upgrade to the Surpass without another credit hit. But there's no guarantee you'll get the offer.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by penner42
Some people get email (or regular mail? not positive) offers to upgrade their regular HHonors card to the Surpass and get a 50k bonus when they do. So getting this one first and then waiting for that offer to upgrade to the Surpass without another credit hit. But there's no guarantee you'll get the offer.
Got it, thanks.

As described above I think getting the regular is the better option for me anyway (esp. because I already have the Citi card for Gold status), so I'll probably get the regular.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:51 pm

Anyone know if you need to be APPROVED by the expiration date or merely APPLY by the expiration date? I thought I saw another thread about the SPG card that said you had to be approved by expiration date. Is that an across the board AMEX policy?

I was planning on applying for this card but was hoping to wait until next year (I have some old inquiries finally falling off my credit) but with the bump on the bonus I might pull the trigger early - just trying to wait as long as possible.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
I have the final outcome on double dipping

Applied for no-fee hilton in Jan 2012

Was told by CSR that I would qualify for SURPASS bonus since I never had a surpass and it had been over 90 days since i got my card.

Applied and was approved and met spend but I was rejected for the SURPASS bonus and finally got clarification from AMEX from a supervisor.

AMEX considers all hilton cards as one product, it doesn't matter what kind of hilton card it is, what benefits you get, or if you pay an annual fee.

In order to qualify for multiple hilton bonuses you need to have 12 months +1 day from your last application AND have the account closed for a minimum of 90 days.

you CAN NOT have ANY hilton AMEX open if you plan on double dipping.

However, if I had clicked this link to upgrade my fee-free to SURPASS, I would have gotten an additional 50k for $3k spend

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...Honors-Surpass

(if it doesn't show up, log into your amex account)

SO, if you want to double dip, get this card, meet the spend, get the points, then upgrade to the SURPASS for $75 annual fee and meet the new spend.

You can potentially get 115k hilton points.

Again, upgrading qualifies for the bonus points, getting a separate surpass does not
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Anyone know if you need to be APPROVED by the expiration date or merely APPLY by the expiration date? I thought I saw another thread about the SPG card that said you had to be approved by expiration date. Is that an across the board AMEX policy?

I was planning on applying for this card but was hoping to wait until next year (I have some old inquiries finally falling off my credit) but with the bump on the bonus I might pull the trigger early - just trying to wait as long as possible.
I've seen several Amex T&Cs say you have to be 'approved' by the deadline (Delta Platinum and SPG come to mind). In both cases I applied at the deadline, was approved after, and got the full bonus.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I have the final outcome on double dipping

Applied for no-fee hilton in Jan 2012

Was told by CSR that I would qualify for SURPASS bonus since I never had a surpass and it had been over 90 days since i got my card.

Applied and was approved and met spend but I was rejected for the SURPASS bonus and finally got clarification from AMEX from a supervisor.

AMEX considers all hilton cards as one product, it doesn't matter what kind of hilton card it is, what benefits you get, or if you pay an annual fee.

In order to qualify for multiple hilton bonuses you need to have 12 months +1 day from your last application AND have the account closed for a minimum of 90 days.

However, if I had clicked this link to upgrade my fee-free to SURPASS, I would have gotten an additional 50k for $3k spend

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...Honors-Surpass

(if it doesn't show up, log into your amex account)

SO, if you want to double dip, get this card, meet the spend, get the points, then upgrade to the SURPASS for $75 annual fee and meet the new spend.

You can potentially get 115k hilton points.

Again, upgrading qualifies for the bonus points, getting a separate surpass does not

The fine print looks pretty clear on this "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express account within the last 90 days."
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
[SIZE="4"]

I currently have 1 regular Amex Hilton that I opened quite a number of years ago, so certainly more than 12 months since the last app. So, you are saying that in order to sign up for this 65k bonus I need to close that card and wait 90 days? That will obviously put me past the deadline for applying for the card with the 65k bonus, but this info seems to differ from what happened to me with the Amex Gold card. As I've previously posted, my old Gold card is a few years old as well and I applied and was approved for a new Gold Card in 6/2012 when they had 1 of their 75k bonuses. By mid-July I had met my spend and the points posted. I never closed the first Gold card and am currently using both cards and the points feed into the same MR account.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
I've seen several Amex T&Cs say you have to be 'approved' by the deadline (Delta Platinum and SPG come to mind). In both cases I applied at the deadline, was approved after, and got the full bonus.
The fine print on this offer, in case anyone else is concerned: "Offer expires November 30, 2012. If your application is approved after this date, you will not be eligible for this offer."

If I decide to apply for this offer, I certainly will not apply on the last day.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CFFrost
The fine print looks pretty clear on this "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Hilton HHonors™ Card from American Express account within the last 90 days."
This is the exact same wording used in the fine print for the Amex Gold and as stated above I still "had" a Gold card when approved for a new one and bonus points were received because the app for that first Gold card was way more than 12 months old. That's why I'm wondering if I can apply for this Hilton and get the bonus points. I may give it a shot just to see what happens and will of course report back.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
This is the exact same wording used in the fine print for the Amex Gold and as stated above I still "had" a Gold card when approved for a new one and bonus points were received because the app for that first Gold card was way more than 12 months old. That's why I'm wondering if I can apply for this Hilton and get the bonus points. I may give it a shot just to see what happens and will of course report back.
I believe that. Practice frequently deviates from policy, but it leaves you nothing to fall back on in the event the decision does not turn in your favor.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AS,UA
I applied for the Hilton Amex on Tuesday around noon and ended up getting the card Weds afternoon, I have never seen a CC arrive so fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.