Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please don't delete this Wiki.
Some of us still earn Delta miles with this card or may want information about past or grandfathered terms and conditions.

Please do not spread panic about miles not posting until after the 10th of each month.
In most cases, miles post in the evening on the 5th of each month if it's a business day, or else the evening of the next business day. "Miles post for purchases made between (inclusive) 5th day of prior month to 4th day of current month."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Current offer (as of March 2017) is for just 5,000 miles.
https://www.suntrust.com/personal-ba...les-debit-card

Most current 25,000 offer was in-branch only, through May 9, 2016:
INTRODUCING YOUR NEW EVERYDAY GETAWAY CARD: THE SKYMILES® DEBIT CARD.
Ready for a one-of-a-kind debit card that actually rewards you? Here's one that deposits miles directly into your SkyMiles account. You can earn up to 25,000 bonus miles with the SkyMiles World Debit Card from SunTrust. What's more, when you use your Card for everyday purchases, the miles add up quickly — and they'll never expire.

Here's how it works:
• Present this email at your nearest branch, or call 1-800-650-7277 and mention this offer.
• Get 5,000 bonus miles when you open or upgrade to a new qualifying SunTrust Signature Advantage Checking account with a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card and make your first qualifying purchase. If you already have a Signature Advantage Checking account, ask to upgrade your debit card to a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card.
• Get an additional 20,000 promotional bonus miles when you make 20 qualifying purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
Continue to earn miles just for using your Card:
• Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on everyday purchases like groceries, gas and restaurant purchases.1 (up to 4,000 per Card monthly)
• Earn 2 miles per dollar on all direct Delta purchases including flights, Delta Sky Club® passes, in-flight purchases of food and beverages and more.1
• Apply your miles toward upgrades and Award Travel to more than 1,000 destinations worldwide2 on Delta and its partner airlines.
• $75 Annual Fee (reduced fee may apply, ask for details).1
Hurry — this incredible 25,000 bonus mile offer is only available until May 9, 2016.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL BRANCH
    __________________________________________________ _____________

History of Recent Past Offers:

Changes as of 7/25/15 :
    Balanced Banking (no longer available): 95a/f, 1mile/$2 up to 2000 miles, $3000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Signature Advantage: $75a/f, 1mile/$1 up to 4000 miles, $25000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Solid Choice: $95a/f, 2m/$1 up to 2000 miles, $5000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee
    SunTrust has a list of items that aren't supposed to earn miles, but some do anyway: cash advances, cash back, ATM transactions, tax payments, payments for stored value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, money orders, cashier checks, quasi cash, travelers cheques, purchase of monetary instruments

-----------------------------------------------------------
    If SunTrust closed your account, it would be great if you could share a little info about the account history.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Print Wikipost

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 12:46 pm

Has anyone successfully attempted funding an account with a non-cc card, specifically one mentioned in a prominent blog posting about maximizing returns on office supplies?

EDIT: a more detailed read-through reported one partial success up to $100. Has anyone else tried this?
    Old May 27, 2012, 5:11 pm

Can you take advantage of both offers? Both personal and business accounts?

Hello,

Recently, I have been discovering sites and blogs about frequent flyer offers. I didn't even know that this existed, so I was quite amazed and impressed as to how organized this is. First of all, I'd like to say thanks to all of the people out there who take their valuable time to post to these various sites. One of the "problems" the internet poses is "TMI" (too much information). One has to have the skills to be able to weed through thousands of relevant and often irrelevant hits from a search engine query.

I have never actively sought out ways to earn extra frequent flyer miles, but I can see that this may become one of my new hobbies. That being said, please excuse my ignorance.

To me, the SunTrust / Delta offers seem worthwhile, but I do have a few questions.

1. Can you take advantage of both offers? Opening up both a personal checking and a business checking account? I was actually looking to switch my business checking account, so this may be a good time.

2. I have never conducted business with SunTrust. What happens if I want to close my account(s) down the line? Once the miles are deposited into my account, are they there to stay even if I close my account? The annual fee for the personal check card is $75. For 15k miles, I think it's worth it. I am able to change my direct deposit, so I can qualify for the other 15k miles. The only thing I am concerned about is the $12 per month maintenance fee if I don't maintain a $3000 balance (which I probably won't). That's an additional $144 per year. I use my current debit card for just about everything and get nothing in return. I do, however, have fee-free accounts. In your opinion, is $75 plus $144 ($219) worth 30k Skymiles (plus the additional miles I would earn over the period of a year by using the debit card, $1 = 1 Skymile)

3. As for the business account, my current account with TD is no longer offered, so I only have to maintain a $500 monthly balance and everything else is free. I have, however, gotten hit hard by depositing a check (in USD) from the UK. It was only for about $600. I was told on that I'd have next-day availability and no fees because it was a check issued in USD. Well i had to pay about $50 and wait 2 months for the money! Then I tried an international wire transfer from the UK (also in USD). I was supposed to have immediate availability (that part was true) and pay only $15 for an incoming wire transfer. The bank still found a way to charge me nearly $40. I realize that there are fee schedules, but I really don't like TD's policy of throwing the fee schedule out the window and charge you random amounts as you perform transactions. It looks like I can open a business checking account with SunTrust and earn 25k Skymiles. The annual fee for the card is $125 and you earn $2 = 1 Skymile. The checking account with the least amount of fees and lowest minimum balance requirement appears to be The Total Business Banking. It looks like you have to have a minimum balance of $4000 to avoid monthly maintenance fees (which I can't seem to find on the website).

4. Finally, I am sure that there are people who just open the accounts, get the bonus, and then close them. Is that legitimate? Is there a minimum period that you must maintain the account active?

Sorry for the long post.
    Enjoy the holiday weekend!
    Old May 27, 2012, 7:09 pm

I opened up an account the last time SunTrust had a promotion and received the bonus. The account was then closed. Just recently, when I attempted to open a new account, it was closed automatically the next day.
    Old May 27, 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by StefanoND
    Hello,

1. Can you take advantage of both offers? Opening up both a personal checking and a business checking account?

2. What happens if I want to close my account(s) down the line? Once the miles are deposited into my account, are they there to stay even if I close my account? The annual fee for the personal check card is $75. In your opinion, is $75 plus $144 ($219) worth 30k Skymiles (plus the additional miles I would earn over the period of a year by using the debit card, $1 = 1 Skymile)

3. The Total Business Banking. It looks like you have to have a minimum balance of $4000 to avoid monthly maintenance fees (which I can't seem to find on the website).

4. Finally, I am sure that there are people who just open the accounts, get the bonus, and then close them. Is that legitimate? Is there a minimum period that you must maintain the account active?
    If you read through the previous pages of this thread you will find your questions answered in more explicit detail. However, in brief:

1. Yes.

2 No idea if Suntrust will take back ("clawback") your miles but if you end the account before 6 months is up you will be assessed additional fees (someone mentioned $25 in an earlier post). Will have to wait and see if there is a clawback on this.

3. If you are going to have a difficult time keeping $3K in a personal account, won't it be even more difficult to keep $4K in a business account? i don;t think the Bus account is such a great deal, higher one-time fee and half the mileage credit.

5. Read through the Suntrust T&C (Terms and Conditions) and you will discover the additional costs if the account is closed prematurely, i.e. before 6 months elapses (see #2, above).
    Old May 27, 2012, 9:38 pm

What's the consensus on the direct deposit issue at the moment? I've read that some people say PayPal won't work, others say that you can't pay yourself with Intuit. What options do we have?
    Old May 28, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
    Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63
    What's the consensus on the direct deposit issue at the moment? I've read that some people say PayPal won't work, others say that you can't pay yourself with Intuit. What options do we have?
    I think the consensus is that you try doing one of these things and then report back on once you have the miles (or not). So why not go ahead and try if you're interested.
    Old May 28, 2012, 1:00 pm

Closed account processing fee

I did some research and found a "Closed account processing fee" $25.00, if you close your account within the first 6 months. This is for a personal account. I've yet to find the fee schedule for business accounts! By the way, thanks, Elizadoo, for your help!

Originally Posted by elizadoo
    If you read through the previous pages of this thread you will find your questions answered in more explicit detail. However, in brief:

1. Yes.

2 No idea if Suntrust will take back ("clawback") your miles but if you end the account before 6 months is up you will be assessed additional fees (someone mentioned $25 in an earlier post). Will have to wait and see if there is a clawback on this.

3. If you are going to have a difficult time keeping $3K in a personal account, won't it be even more difficult to keep $4K in a business account? i don;t think the Bus account is such a great deal, higher one-time fee and half the mileage credit.

5. Read through the Suntrust T&C (Terms and Conditions) and you will discover the additional costs if the account is closed prematurely, i.e. before 6 months elapses (see #2, above).

Last edited by StefanoND; May 28, 2012 at 2:58 pm
    Old May 28, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
    I just read terms and conditions and do not see six month min for fee. Where is this info? I looked at personal account..
    Old May 28, 2012, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by vic2010
    I just read terms and conditions and do not see six month min for fee. Where is this info? I looked at personal account..
    If you go to this page:
    https://www.suntrust.com/AboutUs/Com...stFeeSchedules

You will have to download the Personal Accounts Fee Schedule (available in English or Spanish).
    On page 4/5 of the English PDF file, please note:

Closed account processing
    (only 1 closed account processing fee applies)
    - Account closed within first 6 months $25.00
    - Account closed in overdraft $30.00

Hope this helps!
    Old May 29, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by carwag25
    Yes, there have been several reports in the thread of folks applying, getting accounts, and using the check card outside of the specified states
    No doubt on that. On top of that, my first 15K points have posted. I live in SD..... Now, hoping the payroll points will post; I have my second paycheck going in on Thursday.
    Old May 29, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Several dozen
    Don't go this short sighted route. SunTrust wants a long term banking relationship. I encourage you to get out there and profitably use that debit card long term. It is one of the most profitable cards I reach for in my wallet every day (and BTW I live out of their territory).

Hello,

Old May 29, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
    Don't go this short sighted route. SunTrust wants a long term banking relationship. I encourage you to get out there and profitably use that debit card long term. It is one of the most profitable cards I reach for in my wallet every day (and BTW I live out of their territory).

Hello,

4. Finally, I am sure that there are people who just open the accounts, get the bonus, and then close them. Is that legitimate? Is there a minimum period that you must maintain the account
    Uactive?
    I'm trying to make it my favorite. I've tried quite a few tricks in my first few weeks. Will have to see what posts with some miles.
    Old May 29, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by AnitaBryant63

- PayPal WILL NOT work for either the DD or the traditional checking account routing number. The deposit comes through as a standard ACH deposit, not a PPD coded payroll direct deposit

- The best answer that looks good at the moment is to use Intuit "Household" Payroll services with a 30 day free trial. You don't need a business, and EIN or any other information. You can't pay yourself, per se.. but you can have your wife pay you.. and vice versa.

It's not that tricky setting it up. Just make sure that when you are adding the employee, that you choose to pay them straight wages * hours worked with no additional withholding. There's a drop down box in the taxes section.

Just finished setting up the girlfriend and vice versa.. waiting for direct deposit approval now to pay on June 15th. Fingers crossed.
    Old May 29, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: United Silver
    I signed up for an account on May 2nd and just received my checks today (I need a voided check for my DD/payroll processor). Just FYI, they are either rather or slow or pretty backlogged.
    Old May 29, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
    Originally Posted by BrycePGH
    I signed up for an account on May 2nd and just received my checks today (I need a voided check for my DD/payroll processor). Just FYI, they are either rather or slow or pretty backlogged.
    Thanks for the update. I've been waiting about as long and was about ready to PM them to see what the problem is. Guess I'll give them a few more days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.