Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by anglo large clawed otter
from a bean-counter's perspective, it makes perfect sense. There are lots of beans at iah.
lol.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Tracking Cova

To understand where Ike will strike next, you need to understand where Cova is traveling. If he's due to fly to/through IAH next Saturday, that increases the odds of a major landfall there.

http://www.weatheronline.com/weather...tormid=9&size=

This link shows the current model forecasts for Ike; at this time, most put landfall further down the Texas coast... so Houston may be saved again. But only time will tell --the storm is still about 4+ days away from a US landfall.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
My Ike Story

I get to drive to Corpus this evening, then to South Padre Island Wednesday morning...for work (life is tough!) Early Friday morning I was planning to drive back to Houston, take my mom to lunch (her b-day is Sunday), and fly to IND Friday evening for work. Now I may have to leave SPI Thursday to get an earlier flight Friday, or book a flight out of one of the Valley airports in order to get to IND. My mom realizes lunch may be postponed.

At least I can stop at Prasek's in Hilje and get some sausage to snack on...I hope they close at 9 and not 7...otherwise I won't be able to clog my arteries.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
I find it a bit odd that the Cone of Idiocy didn't even have Houston in the mix a few days ago, but now has it dead-center.
Hmmm, having spent some time there, I always thought that Houston was in the center of the "cone of idiocy"

National Hurricane Center Track shows a landfall somewhere near Palacios/El Campo. If it hits there as a 3, Houston will receive a pretty hard hit from the NE Corner (dirty side) of the storm. A 3 making landfall in Corpus would likely be pretty nasty in some parts of Houston.
nah, will clean the air, help with the drought....
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
To understand where Ike will strike next, you need to understand where Cova is traveling.
I also have exceptionally bad luck in this dept. I've experienced near misses with the tsunami, fires in Greece ("why does this country smell like a giant pit BBQ?"), Locust swarm in Mex, and flying JK to the Canaries. And I'm one degree away from that cruise ship that tipped off the Coast of FL a year or two ago too.

Suffice it to say I'm not going anywhere this weekend. Which means landfall will occur at the mouth of the Hudson River.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
IAH Added

Hurricane Ike
Continental hub: Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental)
Original Travel Dates:
Sept. 11, 2008 — Sept. 13, 2008

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket Change fees and/or additional fare collection will be waived if the rescheduled flights are booked in the original class of service to the same city pairs as originally ticketed and rescheduled travel commences on or before Sept. 20, 2008.

If the new travel commences after Sept. 20, 2008, change fees will be waived, however, additional fare collection will apply.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by belynch
And I'm one degree away from that cruise ship that tipped off the Coast of FL a year or two ago too.
I was on that ship Oct-Nov of 2006 - Crown Princess. Had a great time and stayed perfectly level.

My mother has a picture of her wearing a TWA Captain's hat in the left seat of a 747. TWA, 747, eerie coincidence. Do the math.

As far as IAH Doom and Gloom, I'm really disappointed in the Houstonian response to potential human problems. I was expecting to see names like Glock, Heckler, Koch, et. al. And numbers immediately following such as .40, .45. Rifles and shotguns might be where the power is, but handguns are where the true fun lies.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Wink Fishy, fishy, fishy.....

Let's hope that Pappadeaux boards up well and is saved!

Run For Your Lives! The End is Nigh!

Comments, concern trolling, and general bloviating regarding the impending annihilation of IAH (and its citizenry) are welcome.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:13 pm

Programs: nada
Guess I should start to PM THEblakefish and find out his address for this excuse for a party...

While I'm out of cash to spend at spec's until the middle of the month, I seem to recall that I have about 4 cases of beer (some red hook summer seasonal) and a couple of bottles of vodka, rum, and other hard liquors handy to wait out the storm. That should last me pretty well
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by spin88
nah, will clean the air, help with the drought....
Austin could do with some rain as well so a landfall just north of Corpus would suit us very nicely thank you very much.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I have a flight from CLE to IAH (arrives 11:00am) Saturday.
Continental said I could change it to Friday due to Ike.
Anybody have advice on when (day and time) they will start cancelling incoming flights to IAH if Ike keeps heading this way?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
oh, goodie!

i have an IAH-SAT on thursday and SAT-IAH on friday afternoon...i got stuck in houston for rita (ended up as a non-event) because UA cancelled my flight out that day. if CO is likely to cancel my friday SAT-IAH, perhaps i'd better drive both ways. if ike does look like it's headed our way--yes, it's too early to tell--can i just cancel the whole trip without penalty?

anyone care to prognosticate?

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Hurricane Ike
Original Travel Dates:

End of Validity of ticket Change fees and/or additional fare collection will be waived if the rescheduled flights are booked in the original class of service to the same city pairs as originally ticketed and rescheduled travel commences on or before Sept. 20, 2008.

If the new travel commences after Sept. 20, 2008, change fees will be waived, however, additional fare collection will apply.
or, just answer Jim77401's question, and i'll go from there.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Hurricane Ike
Original Travel Dates:

They will need to push this back two or three days to include Sept 14th and 15th. All projections show this thing not hitting Texas till Saturday, which will effect flights on Sunday (which isn't covered right now under the weather waiver).

I am flying MCI-IAH-TPA on Sept 11 and TPA-IAH-MCI Sept 14th.

I am much more concerned about Sept 14th... Should I be? What would you do?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
To understand where Ike will strike next, you need to understand where Cova is traveling. If he's due to fly to/through IAH next Saturday, that increases the odds of a major landfall there.

http://www.weatheronline.com/weather...tormid=9&size=

This link shows the current model forecasts for Ike; at this time, most put landfall further down the Texas coast... so Houston may be saved again. But only time will tell --the storm is still about 4+ days away from a US landfall.
this is also a good site for tracking IKE

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical.../at200809.html

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...l.html#a_topad

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical...y.html#a_topad
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:50 pm

Here's another site that has lots of big graphics from multiple sites all on one page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.