Wiki Posts
Search

CO 1881 (EWR-SEA) diverted to BIS - 11/8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

CO 1881 (EWR-SEA) diverted to BIS - 11/8

My sister was on CO 1881 (EWR to SEA) tonight when the cabin lost pressure and was forced to land in BIS. All passengers are safe on the ground in BIS waiting for metal from IAH to arrive and bring them on to SEA. Just thought I'd pass along the information in case you have family or friends on this flight.

EDIT: Sorry if this is not an appropriate place to post such news. Please feel free to delete this if I am breaking rules.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I was/am on that flight. All is fine in BIS. Pax have been given the alternative to fly to SEA with a relief aircraft from IAH or stay overnight at BIS and continue tomorrow with NW via MSP. Most of us are waiting for the relief flight.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Odd, it looks like your relief flight is an A310. I thought CO had an all Boeing fleet?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA9960
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Must be a typo in the flightplan, although unusual. http://fasttrack.flightexplorer.com/ also reports a A310 for COA9960
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:18 am

The NW ground staff is great. They called back the TSA to perform the screening at 3am local time, arranged pizza, handing out blankets and sodas etc. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:29 am

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by sdm1130
Odd, it looks like your relief flight is an A310. I thought CO had an all Boeing fleet?
I thought perhaps it was an NW plane that was scheduled to RON at IAH and was going to pick up the pax at BIS (since NW has an operation at BIS). It is not, however. NW doesn't even claim any A310s in its fleet either. In fact, it seems that no US carrier operates any A310s except FedEx. The only SkyTeam carrier to fly one is Czech, and they don't fly to IAH. How that A310 got into the mix will be a interesting thing to find out...
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:37 am

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
SABRE shows the following:

OUT L01.31 ‡
ETA LAG STOP-INTERM-ETD 400A PREVIOUS STOP EWR
ETA L07.25
D FCS ENRT EWR-SEA A/DVRT MAINTENANCE
SWP CO9960 OUT 00.05-ETA 02.53
It was ship 238 with the problem, FWIW.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA2070
I thought perhaps it was an NW plane that was scheduled to RON at IAH and was going to pick up the pax at BIS (since NW has an operation at BIS). It is not, however. NW doesn't even claim any A310s in its fleet either. In fact, it seems that no US carrier operates any A310s except FedEx. The only SkyTeam carrier to fly one is Czech, and they don't fly to IAH. How that A310 got into the mix will be a interesting thing to find out...
http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBIS reports that the departing relief flight (running under the same CO1881 flight) will be a 738 which is what 1881 started as. The A310 must have been an error.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:47 am

They sent a 738 with exactly the same config (lav between F & Y) to pick us up. The flight from IAH had three technicians and two pilots onboard. The technicians bought with them a full set of tools, spares and equipment including a new flight recorder. The guys must have been sent at very short notice, as once of them had shorts on, obviously more dressed for texas weather.

The flight left for SEA with the luggage and with the original flight crew. We reached SEA at 4am. Considering everything, I must give ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ to CO for sending a relief aircraft in such a short notice. Puzzling was the use of the same crew.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:30 am

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
I think the most pressing question is -

Did the diversion to BIS increase your overall BiS miles, and will they be credited to your OnePass account?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 7:35 am

Looks like the aircraft was taken to IAH about 10h later:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA9962

Still thinking how to formulate my appreciation/complaint letter. No offering whatsoever done by crew. No ground staff at SEA greeting the flight. Nada. I've been on far minor irr ops on LH and NW and they handed our CR forms to all pax so that the airline had contact details of pax involved in the incident.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Looks like the aircraft was taken to IAH about 10h later:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/COA9962

Still thinking how to formulate my appreciation/complaint letter. No offering whatsoever done by crew. No ground staff at SEA greeting the flight. Nada. I've been on far minor irr ops on LH and NW and they handed our CR forms to all pax so that the airline had contact details of pax involved in the incident.
I've been on CO flights with irrops where the GA's have handed out complaint forms after disembarking. Just send in a letter. Overall, however, it seems like the situation was handled fairly well. Mechanicals happen, and if you fly often enough, you get caught every once in awhile (or more if you fly AA ).
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA2070
It was ship 238 with the problem, FWIW.
ship?
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
ship?
Yes -- ship, as in airship which is the same as airplane or aircraft.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Yes -- ship, as in airship which is the same as airplane or aircraft.
i've heard of an airplane. i've heard of an aircraft. i've never heard the term airship.

apparently, neither has dictionary.com...well unless CO is now flying blimps.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/airship

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.