Wiki Posts
Search

Boo doo six: Party out of bounds

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Boo doo six: Party out of bounds

UPDATED 14 AUGUST - ZOMG!! BOO DOO SIX GETS A FREE UPGRADE!!

You know, I really love hosting FT Doos. They're such a great opportunity to see a bunch of people you love in one place, at one time. Not to mention making new friends each event. At the same time, though, I end up frustrated because I'm surrounded by people I want to hang out with, catch up with, etc., but don't have time. These events are just too short, and it seems like there's more time spent getting in and out of hotels, finding seats, etc., than actual sharing-of-the-love.

So, I've decided to do something a little bit different this year. Same weekend, same (general) part of the world, but going a bit more diverse on the activity front, and adding an extra day to make sure everyone (including me) gets the quality time Boo Doos have become famous for. I want this to be more than just another "stare across a long table and drink" event, and based on the feedback from my SVQ focus group, lots of people agree.

So, I've been working with the endlessly enthusiastic Dragonfirebcn to come up with a plan and agenda, and we're convinced it's going to be the party of the century. This is going to be one for the history books!

BOO DOO SIX: PARTY OUT OF BOUNDS
OCT 30 - NOV 2, 2009
ANDORRA LA VELLA, PRINCIPALITY OF ANDORRA

For the last five years, we've gathered on Halloween weekend to eat, drink, share, eat, drink, and eat some more. This year we're kicking it up a notch and adding some new activities, an extra day, and an exotic location that most people have never visited!

AGENDA: Please note: we've kept prices the same (thanks to DragonFireBCN's tireless negotiating style) as they were in SVQ. Now that the USD is stronger, you could consider this Doo a bargain! There are also additional events, though, for those that want to partake!

Friday, 30 October 8PM UPDATED TIME AND VENUE
We'll meet and greet and eat and drink and drink at Panamá Café, a large and extremely comfortable pub in the city center where we have a private party until 11PM and can stay until 2AM. This will be a multi-course menu (similar to SVQ) with drinks included for 35€, and great drink specials after dinner is over in the disco downstairs. Note: given the size of our group, the original space (La Fada Ignorant) would be too small so we've moved to a bigger (and more comfortable) location. We've also moved the time to 8PM based on feedback from previous attendees.

Friday night's tasting menu:
We'll be enjoying a series of degustations featuring the very best (and I do mean very best) of the region:

- Jamon Iberico Guijuelo: this is the best of the best, acorn-fed jamon from Salamanca, sliced paper thin by hand (never a machine, it ruins the texture of the fat) and served with pa amb tomàquet.
- Tenderloin of Iberian pork, also served with pa amb tomàquet
- Cheese degustation with a selection of cows-milk, goats-milk and sheeps-milk cheeses and featuring Manchego semi-curado (the king of Iberian cheeses)
- Smoked salmon
- Tuna ventresca
- Giant asparagus from Tudela de Duero
- Morçon Iberico, which is like jamon made from the pork tenderloin
- A very special dessert, which I know Missy is going to love

In addition you'll be served plenty to drink (remember what I said about becoming drunk and obnoxious - zero strikes, out on the street, not kidding) of your choice:

- Vino tinto D.O. Rioja
- Vino Blanco D.O. Penedes
- Cervezas
- Refrescos: Coca-Cola or Coca-Cola Light
- Aperitivos including Jerez, bitter etc.
- Still or sparkling mineral water

I think I speak for everyone here when I say: YUM!

Saturday, 31 October 12 Noon
Your choice of fun activities: downhill mountain biking (they use the ski lifts to bring you and the bike back to the top!), an easy 90-minute hike, or horseback riding are all available, as well as the world's longest Alpine coaster! More sedentary FlyerTalkers can take advantage of the beautiful garden bar outside the hotel and ease into the day. Prices will vary from 35-60€ depending on your chosen activities, and all include transportation from the hotel to the mountain, guides, insurance, any necessary equipment rental, and a fabulous 3-course lunch. (5 minimum for hike, horseback or biking)

Saturday, 31 October afternoon
After enjoying a lunch at your leisure, get ready for shopping. Yes, shopping. Did I mention the entire country is duty free? And that fashion, electronics and gadgets, perfume, and cheese are both cheap and plentiful? You'll find some bargains, because we'll be there right in the middle of rebaixes, the biggest markdowns of the year.

Saturday, 31 October 10PM
Dinner and drinks kick off at 10 at Buda Espai Andorra, aka Buddha Bar. We'll be treated to a gourmet five-course dinner in an beautiful setting that lets us to keep socializing while we enjoy the food. After dinner, we'll move upstairs to the Red Room, a private VIP lounge with a panoramic view over the mountains, some of Europe's best chillout DJs, and happy hour pricing until 2AM. Or enjoy the disco upstairs. Price is 65€ including cava, wine, and water plus an after-dinner cocktail. There will be drink specials just for us in both bars all night.

Saturday night's dinner menu:
ZOMG. Lots of courses, lots of wonderful things!

First Serving:
- Pà amb tomàquet amb assortiment d’embotits - a variety of cured meats and cheese
- Croquetes de pollastre - chicken croquetes
- Gambes a l’allet - typical Catalan casserole of prawns, garlic and more garlic
- Crostini de xistorra amb formatge de cabra - xistorra is the best sausage in the world, on toast with goat cheese
- Tartaleta de sobrassada amb mel - don't even know how to describe this. It's kind of like sausage, with honey. Those of you who have eaten with me at El Café will love this.
- Xarrup d’espàrrecs amb gambetes - shrimp and asparagus cocktail
- Cullereta d’ous amb bacon - just wait and see
- Amanides de l’hort - and a garden salad because evidently the menu is meat-heavy

Second Serving:
- Parillada Catalana de carn amb guarnicị, bou, churrasco, botifarra, botifarra negra, xai, conill - a mixed grill of Catalan meats including beef steak, pork ribs, sausage, blood sausage, lamb, and rabbit along with vegetables and bread

Third Serving:
- Crema Catalana: the classic Catalan dessert, similar to creme brulee but not quite as sweet

Fourth Serving:
- Coca Catalana: this is a lightly sweet pastry served during religious holidays. Since we'll be there for All Saints day, we'll be having coca as well.

Coffee and Tea

The evening's beverages include:
Selecció Aigües Minerals - a selection of mineral waters
Refrescos – cerveses - soft drinks and beer
Bach Extresimo (Penedès) - a dry white wine from right near my house!
Señorio de Villarrica (Rioja) - a nice Rioja
A ticket for a free cocktail in The Red Room, the adjacent chillout lounge

I think everyone will get enough to eat.

Sunday, 1 November 1PM (this is a holiday in Europe)
Yeah, baby, it's SPA DAY! We'll have private access for two hours to Caldea Club, the exclusive upstairs level at Caldea, one of the best thermal/mineral spas in Europe. You can indulge in treatments like "Chocotherapy" or "Vinotherapy", massages, and more. Or just hang out at the bar in the pool, the numerous hot tubs, saunas, hammams, or pools. Those who don't want to go the full Club-level experience can get a three-hour general admission to the spa at the door for about 30€. If you choose not to come into the spa, you are in luck, because there is a fantastic bar in the same complex with views over the pools! We're allowed up to five hours in the spa (including the two hours in Caldea Club). This is the same water Americans are paying two bucks a bottle for. And you're swimming in it. (20 maximum for the club, no max for the spa)

Sunday, 1 November evening
You're on your own after an exhausting spa day! The Caldea complex has great restaurants and of course the whole town is full of them as well.

Monday, 2 November 10AM
Each year in the past, a group has set out on a side-trip, an adventure, a chance to see a little bit more. This year I decided to make it an official part of the program. So Monday we'll have a guided tour of La Ruta Romántica, an authentic slice of medieval life. We'll visit three churches in mountain villages nearby, each a 9th-to-11th-century Roman-era construction. This really is like stepping back in time and a great chance to see the architecture, culture, and art of society 1000 years ago. The tour will last about four hours and includes an English-speaking guide and bus transportation from the hotel to all the villages and back. You'll return to the hotel about 2PM and can check out then if your schedule permits. Price is 35€. (20 minimum)

Important: Some events require a minimum number of people to participate so please choose them as soon as you can. Any events that don't have the minimum number by 30 September will be canceled.

HOTEL:

We've negotiated a very special rate at the ZOMG 5-star Andorra Park Hotel. It has a perfect location, huge gorgeous rooms, and an elevator that whisks you down the mountainside and plops you right smack in the middle of the action. Note that there are plenty of other hotels nearby (including a HICP for those who want to do the points thing). This is an amazing hotel, especially for Europe.

We have a block of Junior Suites (either 2 double or king-ish) with terrace and mountain view, plasma TV, and in-room Jacuzzi. A great buffet breakfast is included each day. Rates are 105€ single or 120€ double, which is a smoking good deal. The rate is valid for reservations made up to Sept 1., and payment must be made in full by that date. After Sept. 1, you'll have to book at the standard rate direct with the hotel. Right now the hotel has a few rooms at the above prices and you're welcome to book direct through them. Note they'll be charging you tax, which you won't have to pay if you book through the BOO DOO SIX web site.

This is a big event (already 60 signed up and five months to go) so we're using a third-party web site to manage registrations and payments. Due to the logistical complexity involved, the only way to attend BOO DOO SIX is to register and pay in advance at the web site. Don't send me a PM asking to pay in Pesetas or charge to your HH card, or if you can make up your mind at the last minute, 'cause I'll just refer you to the web site. Note: there is a 6€ per-person registration fee to cover the web site and CC charges.

We are launching the BOO DOO SIX web site right now where you're able to manage your hotel, dinner, and activity reservations and make a single payment for everything you want to attend. Please go there and register now! https://www.regonline.com/boodoosix - you can pay any time up to the registration deadline of Sept 30 (just choose Wire Transfer to pay when you first register and then go back in later and switch your payment method). IMPORTANT UPDATE: DUE TO THE DELAY INVOLVED IN COLLECTING FROM THE CREDIT CARD COMPANIES, THE LAST DAY FOR PAYMENT WITH CREDIT CARDS IS 30 AUGUST AT 11:59PM GST. After that time up until 30 September you'll need to pay with PayPal or by Wire Transfer.

ABOUT THE LOCATION:
This is a new, unique, breathtakingly beautiful place that's a good value, tons of fun, and packed with interesting things to see and do. Andorra is a tiny country nestled high in the Pyrenees mountains between Spain and France. Because of its location and historic isolation from the rest of Europe, it maintains a unique, old-world feel that mixes with the new and high-tech society brought about by Andorra's emergence as a tax-free banking haven and world-class ski destination. And did I mention the entire country is duty free? Andorra la Vella is the capital city, and accessible from a variety of ports in France and Spain.

GETTING THERE: (this info complete with links is here)
If your plan is to go straight from the airport to Andorra La Vella, there are shuttle busses from BCN and TLS. You can also fly to GRO and rent a car and drive all the way up to the mountain. Alternate airports in France are PGF (shuttle bus service from the airport, but I can't get the schedules. I promise to post them as soon as I get them) and CCF (and then connecting by train or bus with TLS). In general, there's no need for advanced booking of bus tickets, but if you feel like doing so, you can book online. Please notice that this is the website of one bus company. There are other companies providing shuttle bus services but they don't have online booking service (in which case you just have to go to the bus station outside the airport and pay directly to the driver for your ticket).

If you feel like spending a few days in Barcelona before or after the Andorra experience, there's plenty of busses everyday between both cities. No availability problems so it's just a get-to-the-station-and-jump-into-the-next-bus thing. There's also a couple of daily busses to/from Tolouse, in case you prefer staying in the French side of the border.

Arriving by train is not practical from Spain. On the French side there's a train station called ANDORRA L'HOSPITALET, reachable from Paris and Toulouse (6 trains a day). There are regular busses from this train station to Andorra la Vella, and also taxis are available (aprox. 20 km). For booking train tickets you should try the SNCF website.

And if your thing is arriving in style, no matter what, you can have your own personal helicopter that will bring you from BCN to the heliport near our fantastic hotel. Cost is 500€ per person for transfer from BCN to ALV (a few blocks from the hotel)..Journey takes approximately 50 minutes. Min 4, max 5 persons.

OK, who's up for the party? You'll notice we've focused on social events that are good for spending time together this year. Lots of opportunities to share the love! And the location is, well, freakin' awesome. Patxi and I spent Christmas there with Alfredo this year, and absolutely fell in love with the place. Now you can, too.

REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED:
We'll be 52 for BOO DOO SIX! If you aren't on this list, you're not coming to BOO DOO:

alanw + Patxi
dragonfirebcn
a330marcus
aviationkiwi +1
belle3388
bk3day
BOB W
cawhite
Comicwoman
danceswithsunlight
fireworksboy
fjord
flugvergnugen
GETITON +1
GK + SP!
hauteboy +1
Henry III
izzik
JCinNYC
jenniparks + 1
jfkeze
justforfun
KevininRI
KLC + 1
lalala
libuser
missydarlin
monitor +1
olafman
onlyairfare +2
owflyer +1
PHLbuddy
SeeYa
studio76 + Traveloguy
sy7
taking flight +1
the_happiness_store +1
tmartazu

Last edited by alanw; Oct 2, 2009 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Wow! This looks fantastic. I'll start working on my calendar to see if I can make it - will pull out all the stops!

Even if I don't make it, thank you for putting together a most unique program in a unique place.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by alanw
SIGNUP BEGINS NOW:

Alan & Patxi
Do I have to RSVP?
Add me to that confirmed list!!!!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA *Gold, Marriott PLT, Hyatt mid-tier whose stupid name I cannot ever recall
Please add me to that confirmed list!
Will immediately set up award rez.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I'm going to try very hard, having missed out last year, since this sounds so fabulous ^^^^
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm planning on attending! Heard from a previous attendee that I was an idiot for missing out on SVQ...
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:02 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
^studio76+1
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:22 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have already put in in my agenda, but I have to see, if I can make it as the last two months are usually really busy.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sign me up please (can't confirm 100%, but I should be able to make it).
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:04 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
we'll be there
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
alanw, thank you for this announcment. I've been reserving that weekend in my calendar! Please add me to the interested list....I'll let you know when I'm confirmed.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:19 am

Add me to the interested list! So BCN is the most practical airport to fly into as far as getting to/from Andorra?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Award tix booked!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:50 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
A quick google.. it is a three hour coach journey from Toulouse (TLS) link here
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:09 am

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Question: guided tour of La Ruta Románica

For the Monday "guided tour of La Ruta Románica", will that end up in Barcelona Monday evening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.