Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

The United Island Hopper thread, departing from HNL January 30th, 2015

Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Those who are continuing onto MNL, post when you are leaving to assist in coordinating things to do:

Friday, Feb. 6 (at midnight): krazykanuck
Sat, Feb 1, 10:45 to TPE, Staying Hyatt City Dreams, AFAM-DFW
Sun Feb 2, 22:55 to GUM, AFAM-DFW

Those who are continuing on UA159 to HKG and when they are leaving HKG:

riphamilton: 2/2 22:55, UA116 to GUM
TheBOSman: 2/2 8:50, CX 368 to PVG

HNL Hotel on 1/29:

AFAM-DFW: Hyatt Regency
krazykanuck: Ambassador Waikiki
riphamilton: Ambassador Waikiki
theBOSman: HNL Airport Best Western
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

Inspired by http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...5-17278mi.html, quite a few FTers took advantage of this deal to fly UA's famed former Continental Micronesia Island Hopper flight, UA 154. For those unaware, this flight begins in Honolulu, HI, and ends in Guam, but is far, far from going nonstop. Making 4 stops on Wednesdays, and 5 stops on Mondays and Fridays, UA 154 jumps from atoll to island and island to atoll, hence the nickname.

Several FTers have made this journey and were kind enough to share their experiences. Here are two:

Carfield: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...er-2013-j.html

Michael El: GUM-HNL Island Hopper March 23, 2012

I have started this meetup thread to allow anyone booked on the flight to respond. The flight departs HNL on Friday, January 30th ay 7:25AM local time. Perhaps we can gain enough interest to have a full out 14 hour DO across the South Pacific! At last check (8PM on 7/2), there was economy saver space as well, if anyone wants to come along. If another paid fare appears at a good price that allows routing via the island hopper and is valid on January 30th for the island hopper, I will try to post it here as well. This thread will be used to organize who is going, as well as possibly to arrange activities in HNL on the 29th, and HKG on February 1st.

This fare: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-19-1-eqm.html works with the island hopper, IAH-MNL departing IAH on January 29th to connect to UA 154 HNL-GUM via the South Pacific on January 30th.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Jul 8, 2014 at 1:21 pm
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Attendees list (updated through post 32):

TheBOSman
Sabarod
riphamilton
pfbloom
Itinerant One
AFAM-DFW
krazykanuck
YumYumcake

Last edited by TheBOSman; Aug 4, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Reserved for possible HNL/HKG activities/hotels
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:21 pm

I'm also confirmed on the Jan 30 IH. Would be good to meet up with a few fellow crazies.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
also going 1/30.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
...booked for Jan 30 as well.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Gold
I'm also on this flight and with one friend. 11A/21F currently though a bit confused. Calls for a 738 yet with 737 seating??? No window on 10A/F? No other window seats forward of the wing?

Last edited by Itinerant one; Jul 1, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Itinerant one
I'm also on this flight and with one friend. 11A/21F currently though a bit confused. Calls for a 738 yet with 737 seating??? No window on 10A/F? No other window seats forward of the wing?
The no window seats forward of the wing is probably due to some of the folks in post 2, I know I certainly am responsible for at least one of those seats being taken . They aren't blocked off, simply occupied. Row 7 seems to be blocked off by UA though, even as a 1K that wasn't available for me to select. I do think they change the aircraft seasonally, hence the 738 with 737 seating. I do believe we will actually get a 737 and not a 738, but don't hold me to that.

I am officially ticketed now, so I will be going, barring any issues for me returning from Australia a day or two before. Also, economy award space remains available for anyone seeking to join.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The no window seats forward of the wing is probably due to some of the folks in post 2, I know I certainly am responsible for at least one of those seats being taken . They aren't blocked off, simply occupied. Row 7 seems to be blocked off by UA though, even as a 1K that wasn't available for me to select. I do think they change the aircraft seasonally, hence the 738 with 737 seating. I do believe we will actually get a 737 and not a 738, but don't hold me to that.

I am officially ticketed now, so I will be going, barring any issues for me returning from Australia a day or two before. Also, economy award space remains available for anyone seeking to join.

Yes, I naturally assumed those forward window seats were occupied by the early adopters. Yet the occupied/blockage of rows 7 and 20/21 seemed odd. Only the risk of being stuck in a windowless window seat with a switch to a 737 prompted me into action. Now in 7F, and no, 7A is not available.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This fare: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-19-1-eqm.html works with the island hopper, IAH-MNL departing IAH on January 29th to connect to UA 154 HNL-GUM via the South Pacific on January 30th. Come join!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
over/under on how many of you clear the RPU (without splitting segments) -- 1, at T-24
Old Jul 9, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
over/under on how many of you clear the RPU (without splitting segments) -- 1, at T-24
No RPU on the island hopper , so I take the under http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...t.aspx#regions. I also don't have any as I matched over from AA, and no way was I going to spend $10k this year+fly 100,000 PQM .
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am 99% sure I'm going to book this on the ex-IAH deal (still on farelock). I'm connecting through LAX because truthfully I don't want to spend IAH-HNL in Y. Rather split it in two.

Is anybody else booked on UA1224 LAX-HNL arriving at 2:15 pm on the 29th?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Unhappy

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
No RPU on the island hopper .
I knew UA200/201 was GPU only but I thought that UA154/155 was exempted since it's not a direct flight... guess you learn something new every day.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I knew UA200/201 was GPU only but I thought that UA154/155 was exempted since it's not a direct flight... guess you learn something new every day.
I'm pretty sure it is the case. UA probably cleans up on the J seat prices on these two routes to GUM from HNL, both the direct and the island hopper. There is no day over the entire next year that I've seen a J saver award seat available on Monday or Friday to fly the whole way on the island hopper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.