Reload this Page >

BAH-DO! Consolidated UA BAH Flights and Activities Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AFAM-DFW
Please add to the Wiki on ideas/activities along with other relevant information for BAH.

Visa (for those who need it; US passport holders do):
http://www.evisa.gov.bh
You must use a Visit eVisa within 30 days of its approval. (After this time the eVisa will expire and you will have to apply again and pay another fee). Don't apply for the eVisa too early.

Once your application is approved, you can print a copy of the approval to carry with you when you travel, but this is not strictly necessary. When you arrive in Bahrain, your electronic visa will be accessible to the passport officer who greets you. That said, print it anyway. Avoids any possible confusion.

Note that it is not possible to have more than one visa issued for a passport at a time. You must have used your eVisa, or it should have expired, before you can apply for another eVisa. Keep this in mind if you have back to back runs.

If your routing only has you in Bahrain for part of the day, the arrival passport control officer will still insist on a Bahrain address where you are going. I said that I planned on dinner at the Holiday Inn Express, she said write it in the form box and was satisfied.

Popular Lodging Options (per original fare thread):
Holiday Inn Express (10K points) or $90 (approximate)
Radisson Blu (50K points) or $177 (approximate)
Sheraton (12K points) or $200 (approximate)
Residence Inn (20K points) or $200 (approximate)

United Check In:

The United Check In desk opens about 3 1/2 hours before flight time. If you are United Premier, you can check in at the Business check in area which is at the far left side of the terminal as you come in from outside.

Lounge Access:
Available via LoungeCard or Priority Pass
Dilmun Lounge
http://bahrainairport.com/en/experie...t/lounges.html

Popular Sites:
Great Mosque
Bahrain National Museum
Qalat al Bahrain
Print Wikipost

BAH-DO! Consolidated UA BAH Flights and Activities Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
I arrive in BAH on 11/28. I will be staying at the HIX. I will have a car and would like to meet up with others to explore.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
I arrive in BAH on 11/28. I will be staying at the HIX. I will have a car and would like to meet up with others to explore.
Hey SEA777GUY, I was going to PM you later this month but I guess you posted first. We are going to arrive in BAH on the 26th but leaning towards exploring Dubai for a few nights. We will definitely be in BAH on the 30th and leaving on the 1st. We will also have a car but lets try to meet up or arrange a group. It will my companion and I. I will PM you when we are closer to the dates. Also staying at the HIX.

Open to anyone.......sna430 and companion will have a car and staying at HIX on 11/30. PM me if anyone wants to join exploring the city and a ride to the airport on 12/01. If SEA777GUY accepts, we may have a FT group get together.

Last edited by sna430; Nov 16, 2013 at 8:20 pm
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Sounds great looking forward to it! I I have no plans so up for anything
Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just finishing up three days in Bahrain. For those who would like to visit the sites, here's a quick rundown of what I did and some suggestions.

First, highly recommend renting a car. Driving in Bahrain really isn't that difficult, and most of the best sights will get pretty expensive if you use taxis. I was apprehensive about driving before I got here, but I met up with MrPickles for a couple of days, and he was driving so I got a feel for what it was like. After watching him drive I was confident enough to rent my own car for my last day and it was easy-peasy!

Sights I saw and would recommend:

Tree of Life -- just kinda cool -- it's a tree in the middle of nowhere, fed by a very deep aquifer, so deep that scientists can't really tell how deep without damaging the root system. The faithful attach spiritual significance to it. You decide ... I thought it was pretty neat.

Driving across the King Fahad Causeway towards Saudi Arabia to the half-way point. You'd need a visa to continue all the way. Again, kinda fun to get a photo beneath the sign that points to both countries.

The camel farm -- over 600 camels, a hobby of the current king's cousin. They aren't bred for meat or racing, just because. You know, some of us collect stamps, others collect camels . Adorable, saw some 1-2 day old babies. Free. But given the bus loads of tourists that show up regularly, I'm surprised they don't charge. I guess, now that I think about it, the sheikh probably doesn't need the money ...

The Grand Mosque --free tours given by pleasant young volunteers; very interesting if you'd like an insight into how real "normal" people view their religion. I think that we sometimes get a skewed view from our media in North America. No tours on Friday.

The Manama Souq -- walking distance from the Sheraton. Nothing like the souqs in Egypt or Morocco, or other middle eastern countries I've visited; in fact a little too modern for me. There was an frigid air-conditioned modern building right in the heart of the Souq, not what I was expecting at all! Still glad I went, given how close it was to the hotel, but not the highlight of my trip.

The Qal'at Al-Bahrain Fort -- worth visiting if you are a nerd like me. This is a UNESCO world heritage site and IMO worth at least 90 minutes of your time. Be sure to stop in at the museum first to get your audio tour. It's free and really brings the archaeology to life! Once you're done the self-guided walk around the site, then pay the BHD 2 for a quick walk-through the museum. You'll be able to see some of the relics that are referred to in the audio tour. My favourite -- the little pots containing the serpent skeletons!

Bahrain has scads of malls if that's your thing. We re talking gigantic structures with just about every high-end American and European brand represented. Not really sure who is shopping there because they were pretty empty as far as I could tell, but if that's your thing (not mine!) you'll be in heaven.

The one thing I missed because I ran out of time was the National Museum. By all accounts it's definitely worth a couple of hours, if not more.

Whatever you do, do take some time to soak in some of Bahrain's culture while you're there. They have a history that goes back to at least 2250 BC!

Last edited by catgirl; Nov 17, 2013 at 5:21 am
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
SEA777GUY and sna430, I will be in BAH the same weekend; arrive late night 11/29 and depart 12/01. Would like to synch up for something on 11/30 and/or 12/1 (although I am going to want to find a place to watch college football on Saturday night). Also staying at HIX, so please include me on any PM activity for plan details. Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AmexP, PriorityPass, Hotels, Cards
Cocktailsfirst **
NOV 29 Outbound through IAD
33C
DEC 1 Return through IAD
33C
Stop by and say hello

HIX hotel
Very interested in meeting up for drinks Saturday night and sightseeing during my 26hr stay. Happy to go in on car on Sunday.

eVisa Application was easy http://www.evisa.gov.bh
Per the Visa I received:
Valid for only 30 days once approved, which means you must enter Bahrain before it expires, or else you will need to obtain another visa.
Period of Stay: 2 weeks
Number of Entries: Single

This is also my first Run and very excited about it.

Last edited by cocktailsfirst; Nov 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
To anyone visiting Bahrain between the 18th of December and the 9th of January, I would like to offer detailed tours of whatever duration you desire around the country. I am a Bahraini, having had lived there for two decades, and while I do not want to sound pompous, I am very well-versed in both the history of the country, as well as the things that may be interesting for a vistor to see. Being a very frequent traveller myself, I am willing to help you with anything that you may need to know and/or may arise during your time there.
While all the usual things toursits do and see in Bahrain are interesting in their or own right, it is useful to note that Bahrain has a very rich history, whether it be from the days of Dilmun thousands of years ago to our recent colonial history in the 19th and 20th centuries. Even Bahrain airport is purveyor to some very interesting facts. From one Flyertalker to another, PM if you would like more details.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Bigheart
I'm confused about the need for a Visa or e-Visa. I'm doing the run on 11/30 and returning on 12/03, so I have two nights in Manama. I've applied for an e-Visa and the application is being processed. Do I need this e-Visa? The Bahrain e-Visa website talks about the need for a "sponsor". Do I need one? If I don't get an e-Visa, can I get a regular Visa upon arrival and if so what documents do I need? Would appreciate any help.
I am on the same flight as you. You need a Visa. You can get either an eVisa or a Visa on Arrival, doesn't matter. You only need a sponsor if you are applying for a business or work Visa, not for a Tourist Visa. I tried applying online last night and this morning for an eVisa and the site will not accept the upload of the photo of my passport. It worked fine the last two times. On arrival there are two lines one for Residents and eVisa and one for Visa on Arrival.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by travelmydreams
Some might suggest going to the Tree of Life. It's a big mesquite type tree all by itself out in the desert. You endure a dusty drive through rather unattractive land full of gas line pipes all over the place. I found it hard to get any good photos of it because of trailers and pipes in the background. I wouldn't go again.
The Sheraton Concierge gave directions similar to what you described. It was a PIA to get there. We found a freeway on the east coast and it is only 30 minutes and we avoided all of the oils fields on the second trip to the tree.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:44 pm

Must have been a bad day at the tree. It's correct that it was difficult to find. Our app on my cell phone's gps had an entry for it, but GPS was acting strangely. When we got there, you can actually drive all the way to the tree itself. It appears they are adding some sort of fence around it. But for us, there was absolutely no one there.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by sna430
Must have been a bad day at the tree. It's correct that it was difficult to find. Our app on my cell phone's gps had an entry for it, but GPS was acting strangely. When we got there, you can actually drive all the way to the tree itself. It appears they are adding some sort of fence around it. But for us, there was absolutely no one there.
You don't really need a GPS to get there. A paper hotel map works well.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AmexP, PriorityPass, Hotels, Cards
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Not sure about Manama detail (will report when I get back 12/2) but I've used mapswith in China, Vietnam, Hong Kong and the Philippines for GPS. The downloaded map is offline so no data is needed while walking or driving. The paid version allows pin drops. For Apple or Android. This is a great app to help find your way
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Yes you are right. However I was just being lazy Just make sure to get a more detailed map. The one I got at the airport had a picture of the tree.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Arrived on the 7:45am flight from LAX. Just landed and now getting a bus to Air and Space Udvar Hazy Museum @ 3:45 and back in time for LH lounge.

Will post logistics of BAH itinerary when I get back to the lounge.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
So here's my itinerary I may take while there. Keep in mind it's from Radisson Blu. It's also a bit neurotic but I'm playing it safe and over planning.

BAH to Radisson Blu (approx 15 min):
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...ra=ls&t=m&z=14

Radisson Blu to Fort (approx 15 min):
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...ra=ls&t=m&z=12

Fort to Souk (approx 15 min):
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...ra=ls&t=m&z=13

Souk to Mosque (approx 15 min):
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...ra=ls&t=m&z=14

Mosque to Tree (approx 40 min):
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=A...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

Tree to Museum (approx 40 min):
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=T...ra=ls&t=m&z=11

Museum to BAH (approx 15 min):
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...ra=ls&t=m&z=14

Fort 15 min travel; spend 1 hr
Souk 15 min travel; spend 2 hr
Mosque 15 min travel; spend 1 hr
Tree 40 min travel; spend 30 min
Museum 40 min travel; spend 2 hr
Airport 15 min travel;

Fort 815-915

Depart for Souk 915-930
Souk 930-1130

Depart for Mosque 1130-1145
Mosque 1145-100

Lunch

Depart Tree 315-400
Tree 400-445

Depart Museum 445-545
Museum 545-800

Depart Airport 800-815

Dinner

Last edited by luv2ctheworld; Nov 29, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.